The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fridge Fuse blown....DUETTO

5 posters

Go down

Fridge Fuse blown....DUETTO Empty Fridge Fuse blown....DUETTO

Post by Bulletguy Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 am

Just got van ready to move on (been on 240v past 10 days) only to discover i've got no 12v running to the Fridge.

Checked fuses (mine are in engine bay) and found one badly blown.....can't even remove it. Can anyone confirm from attached photo that it is the Fridge fuse? (It's a fuse to the extreme right).

Was running perfect OK 10 days ago.

Van is May 2000 Duetto Mk5 Ford Transit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Fridge Fuse blown....DUETTO Empty Re: Fridge Fuse blown....DUETTO

Post by whisky Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi Bulletguy.

That is the same fuse carrier as on my executive, and yes the fuse on the right is the fuse to the fridge. If you replace it and it blows again check the relay behind it.

Cheers. whisky. champagne

Last edited by whisky on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm

whisky wrote:Hi Bulletguy.

That is the same fuse carrier as on my executive, and yes the fuse on the right is the fuse to the fridge. If you replace it and it blows again chech the relay behind it.

Cheers. whisky. champagne
Emailed a mate of mine who also has a Duetto though slightly older model and this was his reply;

"Well it looks nothing like mine but it appears to be the relay under the bonnet that switches the fridge and the caravan electrics. When you turn the ignition on all the caravan 12v is turned off and the fridge 12v is turned on. Looks like you're in the right area."

Got tons of spare fuses but cant get the damn thing out. Site owner says he will come and have a look later on when the temp cools.....it's now over 40c here and i'm sweating buckets just sitting writing this!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi Bullet guy.

Yes your mate is correct with what he is telling you. The fuse carrier is either in the engine bay or under the drivers seat. I seem to think if the relay is not working properly it might have cooked the fuse. If you can't get the fuse out of the carrier you might be able to break the plastic of the top of the fuse and wire it across the blades with fuse wire until you get home.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:48 pm

whisky wrote:Hi Bullet guy.

Yes your mate is correct with what he is telling you. The fuse carrier is either in the engine bay or under the drivers seat. I seem to think if the relay is not working properly it might have cooked the fuse. If you can't get the fuse out of the carrier you might be able to break the plastic of the top of the fuse and wire it across the blades with fuse wire until you get home.

Thanks Whisky

No idea why I didn't think before but as i get Breakdown cover with my Insurance I phoned them and a guy was out to me within an hour. Fortunately the site owner speaks Bulgarian so was able to tell him which battery is for what etc and what should happen once the engine is fired up.

He removed the fuse which was totally shot, cleaned the terminals, ran a few tests, installed a new fuse and BINGO!! Fridge now working on 12v electrics. If it does go again then I will know for sure the relay is playing up.

He certainly came prepared though. Arrived with a low loader!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:51 am

Hi Bulletguy.

Glad you got sorted. On my previous post I thought about adding that you and the fuse where both well cooked with the temp at 40 degrees. hugegrins But then thought better about it. Was then going to suggest having a nice cold beer until site owner came to help drinksallround But then thought fridge not working think_smiley_46

Hope everything stays working. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Male

Back to top Go down

Fridge Fuse blown....DUETTO Empty Fridge Fuse Blown

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi Bulletguy,

We have a Symphony, but I think the fridge electric circuit is the same, though the physical locations are different.
We had a similar failure recently, whilst away on a two week tour. Like you the fuse had completely melted, and was very difficult to remove, though eventually I managed it and fitted a replacement, which cured the problem.
There had obviously been a lot of heat generated around the fuse for some time, which is not surprising as the amount of electric current required to drive the fridge low voltage heater element is quite considerable because of the low (12V) voltage involved. My guess is it's about 10 Amps. With this flowing in a circuit it's very easy for heat to be generated at any connection, and if the fuse blades are anything other than a very tight fit in their holder, they will get quite warm.
The relay operates as already suggested, using a changeover contact to isolate the 12V habitation electrics and put a feed to the low voltage fridge circuit when the ignition is turned on, and this will either work or it wont, but I don't think it will add heat to the fuse.
My conclusion was that the fridge fuse is something of a weak link, and will always be subject to the problem of overheating, especially on long journeys. I have therefore decided to replace it at the start of every touring season, which also gives the opportunity to inspect the holder.

Hope this helps

regards

Jeff

Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Jeff and Di Giblin wrote:My conclusion was that the fridge fuse is something of a weak link, and will always be subject to the problem of overheating, especially on long journeys. I have therefore decided to replace it at the start of every touring season, which also gives the opportunity to inspect the holder.

As you say, the fridge fuse is something of a weak link, as I reported same problem back in August 2011..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Jeff and Di Giblin wrote:
My conclusion was that the fridge fuse is something of a weak link,

I was always under the impression that this was the idea of a fuse? snigger

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Fridge Fuse blown....DUETTO Empty Fridge Fuse

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Sorry to have bothered you all, just trying to be helpful!
Jeff
Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down