The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto toilet door reversal

3 posters

Go down

Duetto toilet door reversal Empty Duetto toilet door reversal

Post by marion kent Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:50 pm

I want to reverse the way the toilet door opens on my Duetto. Any advice please
marion kent
marion kent

Female

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Duetto toilet door reversal Empty Re: Duetto toilet door reversal

Post by Jenvid Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:11 pm

I have just had a look at my Duetto toilet door (writing from an Aire in the Loire).

I don't think this would be at all straightforward. The right hand door frame where the hinge is (currently) attached is differently shaped  - i.e it has a flat surface to take the hinge - and the structure is much more solid than the left hand door frame. The right hand doorframe upright is clearly engineered to take the weight of the door (the cupboard wall also gives it extra rigidity), whereas the lefthand frame is not, and has no other right angled panel/frame to add strength. There would be many other cosmetic complications. Having said that, the task would not be impossible, but it would need some very skilled work, including reinforcing.

I am curious as to what you see as the advantages of making the swap?

You would lose the ability to have use of the folding out modesty door - though we ourselves hardly ever bother with this. That said, the way the door presently opens does leave quite a nice area to step out of the bathroom and complete drying/dressing after taking a shower.

The only thing that we find a bit tiresome about the way the door currently opens, is when it bangs on the upper cupboard doors when these are accidentally left open (surprising how often we do that inadvertently)! and also bangs on the drop down grill door when the grill is in use.

We have recently resorted to sticking tiny, transparent, circular rubber bump stops strategically in all of the impact places alluded to above. This protects all of the surfaces and also reduces the sound of the thud on the occasions when we still manage to have a clash of opened doors.

Hope those thoughts are of help.
Jenvid
Jenvid

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Transit Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Duetto toilet door reversal Empty Re: Duetto toilet door reversal

Post by Bulletguy Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Jenvid wrote:
I am curious as to what you see as the advantages of making the swap?

You would lose the ability to have use of the folding out modesty door - though we ourselves hardly ever bother with this. That said, the way the door presently opens does leave quite a nice area to step out of the bathroom and complete drying/dressing after taking a shower.

I can see at least one advantage. It would make it easier to access! The point you make about the hinges being on the stronger side is valid though and i remember reading where one owner had removed their door entirely and been surprised at the weight of it.

AS made some bad design faults imo and one which bugs me is the storage cupboard below the cooker. The lid is hinged a good 3 or 4 inches above the floor meaning when the lid is down, it's literally an accident waiting to happen. One false move and that door will become splinters in seconds!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down