The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto side trim panel bonding failure

5 posters

Go down

Duetto side trim panel bonding failure Empty Duetto side trim panel bonding failure

Post by trev-t Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:48 am

The bonding has failed on the exterior black plastic trim panel to the rear of the cargo door.  This has happened to me several times before and I tried several adhesives that did not work.  The last repair however lasted about 7 years, but I'm not sure what adhesive I used.  Has anyone had any success sourcing a suitable adhesive?
trev-t
trev-t

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Duetto side trim panel bonding failure Empty Re: Duetto side trim panel bonding failure

Post by daisy mae Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:59 am

Silkaflex   think that is how you spell it, I used the black on my Topaz when I had it , it is messy in use, I put the tube in a bucket of hot water to make it more pliable.  I still see the Topaz and panel is still firmly stuck. very successful.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Duetto side trim panel bonding failure Empty Re: Duetto side trim panel bonding failure

Post by trev-t Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for that.  The name rings a bell.  It might be what I used before
trev-t
trev-t

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by trev-t Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Found it.  The name is actullay "Sikaflex" for anyone else that may view this post
trev-t
trev-t

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:18 am

The name Sikaflex covers a wide range of PU-based sealants made by the company Sika AG, and it's fairly important to get the right type for your application. This forum's Dutto has posted links to the company's application charts before, but they keep changing their website and breaking the links!

If a Sika product has been used in the past and has failed (even after 7 years) it's possible that the area to be bonded still has a layer of a previous inappropriate adhesive on it - in which case any future application will probably fail. If that's the case, you won't get long-term success with any other product unless you remove the old adhesive. A good example of this is non-heat-resistant contact adhesive - which can form a sort of slimy, tacky layer when it breaks down. It's usually possible to remove the layer with white spirit - though it can be quite hard work on a large area...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenvid Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:13 pm

I seem to recall CT1 construction adhesive and sealant was mentioned on the Forum as an even better product for this job? (I have had a quick search but cannot find the discussion).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was researching what was best for my duetto panels: both to repair cracks and also to deal with areas where they were lifting away from the bodywork. After being pointed in the direction of CT1 and undertaking my own further research, this was what I ended up using for my repair (of course choosing the black variant for the panels). The repair was made about a year ago: CT1 so far seems to have done the job perfectly.

As far I can gather, "HB42" is another new generation sealant with similar properties - just made by a different manufacturer.

Amazon sell HB42. CT1 is available on e-bay.

Jenvid
Jenvid

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Transit Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Funny thing, ordered some CT1 this morning.
Saw the HB42 and would have tried it if I didn't find a supplier for CT1.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down