The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water ingress around the side window in fibre

+2
Paulmold
Allypally
6 posters

Go down

Water ingress around the side window in fibre Empty Water ingress around the side window in fibre

Post by Allypally Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:48 pm

I have some water ingress around the side roof window above sliding door. The window appears to be bonded in as i cant see any other way it is secured. Is the only solution to reseal from outside as best i can?
I have some black sikkaflex.
Allypally
Allypally

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : vivanti2s
Vehicle Year : Vehicle Year:2004

Back to top Go down

Water ingress around the side window in fibre Empty Re: Water ingress around the side window in fibre

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Is it not a opening window then like on the Symbol?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Water ingress around the side window in fibre Empty Re: Water ingress around the side window in fibre

Post by Carver Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Maybe it is the small window in the wash room.  That window is fixed on the symbol ?
Carver
Carver

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Allypally Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi both. It is the same as the symbol i believe and opens. But i cant see how the outer frame is fixed apart from bonded in with sikkaflex.
Allypally
Allypally

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Allypally Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Just to clarify the water is not leaking through the opening part of the window but appears to be leaking around the outer frame and fibreglass roof and is discolouring the side roof lining.
Allypally
Allypally

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:08 pm

Typically on A-S high top conversions you have to remove the internal roof lining to get at the fixings - typically it will be held in by a lot of curved aluminium fixing plates.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:13 pm

I had mine taken out of a Topaz for  the same reason, area cleaned and resealed, no more water ingress.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:27 pm

I took mine out for the same reason.
I used CT1 on refitting and didn't use the ally brackets that held it in.
The frame didn't sit centrally in the cutout in the high top. (It had been cut out too big anyway!)
Yes you have to strip out all the roof lining etc and unscrew loads of wood screws, (which were rusting).
Been fitted back over a year now and no leaking whatsoever.
Forget using that mastik tape stuff as well. Modern sealants are the way to go.

The longest part of the job was cleaning the frame etc up of the old mastik tape before refitting!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Allypally Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks all, will work my way through it but even removing the side roof lining looks a bit fiddly and maybe it goes behind the wardrobe as well.
Allypally
Allypally

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:39 pm

Allypally wrote: and maybe it goes behind the wardrobe as well.

The offside one on mine did, and I had to resort to some "tool abuse" with a wood chisel, but it all went back invisibly - it's just that they seemed to have installed the roof side panel on mine before the wardrobe was installed! As a DIY job it's tedious and time-consuming but there is nothing fundamentally difficult about it.

I did both sides on mine, and the fix worked well for the remaining 4-5 years that I owned the van. I re-used the curve alloy brackets, and also the upgraded spec of mastic strip, which I bought from A-S. They now recommend a slightly different sealing procedure than they themselves used originally.

Any attempt to seal it from outside will (in my personal experience) look like a badly bodged job, and when I tried it that way it didn't work for long either (too much flex in the roof, I believe).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Not wanting to go too far off topic, but I came across a similar issue when looking to replace the radio aerial fitted in the plastic high top on our Symbol.
Long story short, to get to it, it appears that the roof lining needs to be removed and it looks like this is the very first thing that is fitted to van when converted  censored!
so the entire interior would need to be removed.
I think that Ill be cutting a hole !!
Carver
Carver

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Allypally Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:06 pm

I had a look at this today and looks like a big job. Looks like the side panel was fitted first and may go behind wardrobe. Roof lining would have to be removed first a very big job. I cant see how to remove the side panel as it is behind wardrobe, shelf above door and also the roof lining. Looks impossible without some form of cutting.
Allypally
Allypally

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:03 am

Not sure exactly what layout you have, but on mine I had to remove both shelves - the one above the door and corresponding one the other side and the front of the over-cab locker. Neither was hard to do - just a lot of screws in "corner blocks". Then the two roof panels came out, and then the two roof side panels (plus 3 or 4 small tacked-on infill panels). Now I come to think about it, the side panel did go behind the cupboard, but only a short way. I did not need to cut it - I just had to chop around one screw which was obscured by the wardrobe. I had to re-cover the panel on one side, as the leaks had caused too much visible damage to the fabric.

Like I said, it was time consuming. The reason I did it myself is that my time is cheap, and paying someone else to do it would not have been!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down