The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford AutoSleeper Cambelt change

+2
-mojo-
lewislewis
6 posters

Go down

Ford AutoSleeper Cambelt change Empty Ford AutoSleeper Cambelt change

Post by lewislewis Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi,

My AutoSleeper (2946cc Diesel) is now on 60,000 miles and I was thinking that maybe I should get the cambelt changed prior to heading down to Portugal for the summer. It was only when I was going through the van's past garage receipts that I found out it had a cambelt kit fitted in August '07, at 30,728. My dilemma is should I still get the belt etc. changed because almost 8 years has elapsed since then (ruber prerishing..?). Or am being over-concerned because vehiclle belts are more durable. Thank you in anticipation.

Lewis

Last edited by lewislewis on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I missed out the mileage reading when cambelt kit was fitted)
lewislewis
lewislewis

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Auto-Sleeper Ex

Back to top Go down

Ford AutoSleeper Cambelt change Empty Re: Ford AutoSleeper Cambelt change

Post by -mojo- Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:31 pm

It would be worth calling Ford and asking for their recommendation as a manufacturer (as opposed to the recommendation of a Ford dealer who wants your money in their service department accounts!).

It seems to vary a lot by manufacturer, but yours would seem to need doing on the basis of elapsed time alone - few manufacturers allow more than 8 years and some are as low as 4...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:05 pm

I personally would get it changed. water pump as well, not much more expensive.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:14 pm

Are you sure it's a 2946cc as cannot find one listed, though there is of course a 2.5 (2496 cc)?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi there,

I think the recommended cam belt change for Ford Transits is at 60,000 miles. (I sure hope so because "Petal" has done 42,000 miles since we had the belt changed at 60,000 miles!) Whistle1

However, if you have ANY doubts whether or not the belt needs changing I recommend that you do it; and include the water pump as recommended by Daisy Mae as well.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS  Forgot to add the "Or at 5 years?" which I believe is the other milestone to change the cam belt.

Last edited by Dutto on Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add PS)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:57 pm

I had my own retail car and commercial garage, if I were you I would get it changed now,at that age what anybody else says get it done ,but by a reputable garage, you may find they need special tools ,for the sake of a few quid do some homework, you may also find new pulleys are recommended, have them done , have it done well before your time to go in case some one finds something else wrong,just remember the cost of having it done is nothing like what it will cost if it breaks, but be careful who you choose to do it a Main dealer although probably expensive will have done loads of them, just say when you take it in where your off to , how long do they warranted it for and finally say you would appreciate it if it was done by a skilled person and not a boy, don't feel embarrassed by saying that as most garages run on boys/apprentices or trainees I know this to be a fact,  in the 1980's I was a Forman in a Renault garage in Ipswich I had 17 staff 13 were apprentices 2 were testers that left me 2 skilled on the bench, I lost my hair within 5 years doing that job (I wonder why ?.

Tony A
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:43 pm

I have to say it is probably not worth the risk of not having it changed, if they go it can be every costly and while its mileage maybe within limits the age factor would make me think its worth doing  before venturing so far. I can very highly recommend a garage in Brighton who look after our van and one where it won't be done by an apprentice like most main dealers use. They also do a lot of buses and commercial work so better equipped for larger tasks they are..
ProTran near the Marina. 01273 681942 
Cheers.
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Ford AutoSleeper Cambelt change Empty Thanks to everyone

Post by lewislewis Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:57 pm

A big Thank You to all who have given me advice re. my cambelt change and taking everyone's advice  I have decided to be safe rather than sorry and get the belt changed before our next big adventure. Happy holidays to you all and best regards.

lewis
lewislewis
lewislewis

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Auto-Sleeper Ex

Back to top Go down