The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol Noisey Roof Light

4 posters

Go down

Symbol Noisey Roof Light Empty Symbol Noisey Roof Light

Post by daveH Mon May 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Evening all,

When driving our Auto Sleeper Symbol 2005, we experience wind noise from the large clear lifting roof light. I've cleaned round the roof light housing, checked for grit etc. and lubricated the rubber sealant fitted around the light housing but to no avail. Does anyone else experience wind noise from this window and if so has anyone managed to cure the wind noise? Any advice would be appreciated. Regards, Dave. tap_fingers
daveH
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Symbol Noisey Roof Light Empty Re: Symbol Noisey Roof Light

Post by Paul 300358 Mon May 25, 2015 10:13 pm

We get the same when traveling over 50. But we don't hear it untill over 60 with the blind shut.

Cheers
Paul
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by daveH Mon May 25, 2015 11:20 pm

Thanks Paul,

We used to keep the blind pulled over shut BUT on one trip the blind was sucked up to the top of the window and badly damaged.
Since then we've always travelled with the blind open. It does seem as though air from inside the van is being sucked up through the space around the window.

Dave up!
daveH
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue May 26, 2015 10:29 am

Hi there,

We did suffer from noise coming from the front skylight but it stopped on the way back from Mansfield last Saturday.  allthumbz allthumbz

This happened shortly after the blast of air from an oncoming lorry blew the top cover off!! tap_fingers tap_fingers

Bad News
We didn't discover that the top cover was missing until we went into "Petal" and discovered that the floor was wet through on Sunday. tap_fingers

Good News
We were in "Petal" because it was raining and we needed to go to the shops, so we caught it within four hours of the rain starting! up!

I have looked at the design of the skylight (an MPK 400 x 400) and I suspect that the original noise MAY have been caused by the top cover being damaged and loose.  i.e. Maybe a combination of high winds and/or passing oncoming traffic had loosened the top cover before it was finally blown off.

I have two replacement skylights ready to be fixed (no point in renewing one and then the second one blows off!) and we have an appointment with a local fitter for next Monday.  At that time, I will dismantle the intact old one and see if I can work out why the first one blew off.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS

Don't EVER be tempted to pull the blind across if you have one fitted.

It WILL reduce the noise but it will ALSO damage the silvering on the blind; which is why the manufacturer recommends that you don't do it! tap_fingers

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by daveH Tue May 26, 2015 9:41 pm

Thanks Dutto,

I'll steer clear of Mansfield.

Dave up!
daveH
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi,
I have always had noise from from the heki rooflight because it is the ventilated type that is fitted. It is possible to fit seals but there has been discussion about whether doing this cuts down on the designed ventilation for the gas appliances,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by daveH Wed May 27, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks Chris,

The ventilated roof light is a point I hadn't considered - most interesting - perhaps we'll have to put up with a little wind noise.

Thanks,

Dave  allthumbz
daveH
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi there,

Just back from having the two new MPK skylights fitted; and what a difference!!

First improvement I noted is that the "pull downs" on the new models have small retractable clips that fit underneath lugs to prevent them blowing open (and from being ripped open by a thief).

The second thing I noticed is how quiet they are.

The top cover on the front skylight blew off when a combination of high winds and a passing lorry removed it somewhere near Mansfield but I still had the back one to check out; and it was apparently undamaged.

Imagine four dents in the plastic top cover that are about the size and shape of a thumb, with the thumb-nail being the hold-down point.  There are four of these and the top cover is held on to the inner cover at all four points.

After removing the back skylight I discovered that the top cover was only just holding on as ALL FOUR of the hold-down points were cracked so badly that all it took to break the top cover off was a very slight tug with one finger.

We were VERY lucky that we decided to change them both at the same time. allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daveH Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks Dutto - I've just been out and checked the roof lights after last nights gales - no signs of weakness or stress damage so I think I'll just put up with a bit of wind noise for the time being.  I see you live in Lincolnshire, we used to live there, Conningsby, but moved to Scotland to be nearer the mountains and beautiful west coast - best moved we ever made.

Dave  drinksallround
daveH
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:47 am

daveH wrote:Thanks Dutto - I've just been out and checked the roof lights after last nights gales - no signs of weakness or stress damage so I think I'll just put up with a bit of wind noise for the time being.  I see you live in Lincolnshire, we used to live there, Conningsby, but moved to Scotland to be nearer the mountains and beautiful west coast - best moved we ever made.

Dave  drinksallround

and after thirty years of Aberdeenshire and the Grampian Mountains we moved to Lincolnshire ....

.... best move WE ever made!! allthumbz allthumbz

Enjoy your summer midges and the winters; we now try to avoid Scotland when there is an "R" in the month!! hugegrins hugegrins

drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down