The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attaching a drive away awning to Symbol

4 posters

Go down

Attaching a drive away awning to Symbol Empty Attaching a drive away awning to Symbol

Post by Allypally Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi, i am looking to buy a drive away awning and would like suggestions of best way of attaching to side of van. Is the black plastic trim strong enough with a fig 8 plastic profile hooked on top? Or do i have to fit an awning rail either to roof or to the black trim. Any suggestions please.
Allypally
Allypally

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : vivanti2s
Vehicle Year : Vehicle Year:2004

Back to top Go down

Attaching a drive away awning to Symbol Empty Re: Attaching a drive away awning to Symbol

Post by Paulmold Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Don't know if black strip strong enough (you wouldn't want to find out it isn't) so we had a J rail fitted. A C rail also works both with figure 8 strips.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Attaching a drive away awning to Symbol Empty Re: Attaching a drive away awning to Symbol

Post by rose49f Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:18 pm

There are many ways to fit a drive away awning. The best is to have an awning rail fitted just above the trim. The trim is not meant to or strong enough to hold an awning. On my last van I had a J rail with a figure of 8 which fitted on the awning. I found it easier than the C rail which also need a kador strip. My awning was a Kyham Quick Erect Drive away which I recommend. So easy to put up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[url=http://www.khyam.co.uk/products.asp?s=Campervan / Motorhome Drive Away Awnings][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:59 pm

I put a C rail in the middle of the black guttering on my Topaz, used the originally screw holes to save drilling any more holes in the van, a lot use this method and no problems reported, I didn`t have any, then again I never used it, hugegrins the guy I sold it to has and he finds it works a treat. I put a 3mtre rail on, used a self tapping screw on the front end as the screws didn`t go that far, I used stainless steel screws with sealant behind them.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down