The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

split relay on duetto

+2
-mojo-
PASCAL
6 posters

Go down

split relay on duetto Empty split relay on duetto

Post by PASCAL Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Hello could you tell me if there is a split relay on the duetto , mine was built in 1996   i have two battery but no leisure battery each battery 70amp  when i take off the negative of the service battery i have the light on  12 volt   ok    thank you for your help
bests regards
pascal
PASCAL
PASCAL

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : DUETTO
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

split relay on duetto Empty Re: split relay on duetto

Post by -mojo- Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:28 am

If it's a manual gearbox vehicle, it should have a split charge relay.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:48 am

At that time Ford made the chassis specially for motorhome conversion. Both the starter and leisure battery were installed by Ford under the bonnet, as was the split charge relay. I can't remember where the relay is located but several forum members have the same van as you so you should get more information from them.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:16 am

The starter battery is on the left and the leisure battery is on the right as you stand looking at them with the bonnet open.

The split charge relay was in a black, plastic box near to the starter battery on my 1999 Duetto.

Auto-Sleeper did move things round a bit during the time that they made the Duetto, but you should find the relay close to the starter battery.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by PASCAL Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 am

Thank you for your help  i will have a better look it's a  duetto with a manuel gearbox the alternator is ok as he charge the two battery 
regards

pascal
PASCAL
PASCAL

Male

Back to top Go down

split relay on duetto Empty Duetto split charge

Post by fred22 Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi, I have a 1996 Duetto and must admit that the instruction manual causes me some confusion.

According to the manual I should have 3(three) relays under the bonnet and also a small fuse box.

I have found one relay, next to the vehicle battery, a 75amp one, but no more and certainly no fuse box.

The only fuse box I have is the one inside the cab, on the right, down by my feet.

Is it possible that Ford stopped putting them under the bonnet but the manual was not changed and the motorhome battery is fused through this main box?

When I am driving along I get a sound which sounds like relays open and closing so I have replaced the one I have found but I have the batteries out at the moment so I have not checked it.

Any one else with a 1996 or similar got any comments.

Last edited by fred22 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
fred22
fred22

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:37 pm

On my 1999 Duetto there was a small black plastic box near to the vehicle battery (on the left as you face the windscreen from outside the vehicle). In this box was one relay (either the split-charge or the fridge) and one fuse. There was no separate fuse box.

Sadly, Auto-Sleeper have moved things round a bit over the years.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi wave 

If it helps, here are a couple of pictures of my 1997 version.
With a bit of luck the 1996 may be similar. up!

split relay on duetto Relay1_zpscoahxgoo

split relay on duetto Relay2_zpsxgs1v1xr

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by PASCAL Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Thank you for the pics it's similar on my duetto build in june 1996 but i think that there is  no coupleur separateur sorry i don't know the name in english   today the starter battery was low and i started the duetto with the other battery with some cable it's a normal battery 70 amps    , we done a big job on this motorhome new  4 wheel arch  and we change some iron under the carver cascade with a citroen ax door it's look like an original part   the ford will be fiinshed next wednesday i will change the rear door next year  i don't have enough time to do it now , as i booked a ferry for the 10th april  , my new challenge is to find a storage not far from pudsey for 6 months , if you want some pics from my duetto just asked me
regards pascal
PASCAL
PASCAL

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fred22 Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks Broco.

I have what appears to be the split charge relay but there is nothing like the fuse box you have, under my bonnet. Does the relay have 75 amp on it and maybe Bosch

I thought of asking Autosleeper but, previous e-mails I have sent them, have advised me to contact Ford
fred22
fred22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 am

Hi wave

Fred , I notice that you haven’t actually said what the problem is (if there is one). Are you trying to fix something or are you just asking out of interest?

fred22 wrote:I have what appears to be the split charge relay but there is nothing like the fuse box you have, under my bonnet.

Humm  scratch head  I wonder if it’s been modified at some point. Do the 12V lights go off when you switch the ignition on?

Assuming they do it shouldn’t be too hard to locate the relays. If you look at the positive terminal of the leisure battery you’ll find the large red cable going to the split charge relay and a smaller one. If you follow the smaller one it’ll lead you to the relay(s).
fred22 wrote:Does the relay have 75 amp on it and maybe Bosch
I’ll have a look next time I open the bonnet but it doesn’t really matter. It’s quite likely that several different types of relay were used over the years. Any high current relay will do the same job.

fred22 wrote:I thought of asking Autosleeper but, previous e-mails I have sent them, have advised me to contact Ford
I’d be surprised if Ford will know, and if there have been any modifications the information won’t be any use anyway. Much better to work it out yourself.

Brod

P.S. The smaller cable may possibly be connected at the split charge relay end of the red cable rather than the leisure battery end.

Last edited by brodco on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added P.S.)
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:00 am

Hi  wave

PASCAL wrote: i think that there is  no coupleur separateur sorry i don't know the name in english

Nor do I but using the Google translate function on various web sites it seems to be a sort of hybrid between a split charge relay system and a more complicated control systems such as the Sargent systems used on later vans.

I don’t think any Duetto of that age was fitted with one.

PASCAL wrote: my new challenge is to find a storage not far from pudsey for 6 months

Shouldn’t be a problem there are quite a few storage places in Yorkshire.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fred22 Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi,
the problem I am trying to solve is that as I drive along I keep getting a noise which sounds like relays opening and closing. I have replaced the only relay I can find but at the moment I have the batteries out so can't check if I have solved the problem.

The lid to the case of the main Ford fuse box mentions relays, does anyone have their habitation relays/fuses  going through the main fuse box?
fred22
fred22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:43 pm

fred22 wrote:Hi,
the problem I am trying to solve is that as I drive along I keep getting a noise which sounds like relays opening and closing. I have replaced the only relay I can find but at the moment I have the batteries out so can't check if I have solved the problem.

The lid to the case of the main Ford fuse box mentions relays, does anyone have their habitation relays/fuses  going through the main fuse box?
Having once owned a 1999 Duetto I am pretty certain you would not hear relay operation whilst the engine was running so suspect its something that makes a much louder noise.

The leisure battery and split charge relay were part of the Ford chassis and not fitted by AS.

None of the habitation circuitry should go through the Ford fuse boxes.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down