The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 Symbol Split battery relay location

4 posters

Go down

2011 Symbol Split battery relay location Empty 2011 Symbol Split battery relay location

Post by ballme1 Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:55 pm

Does anyone know where the location of the Split battery relay is on a 2011 Symbol ?

I was intending to fit a Sterling Auxiliary Battery Maintainer or Van Bitz, and need to wire into the Relay
ballme1
ballme1

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

2011 Symbol Split battery relay location Empty Re: 2011 Symbol Split battery relay location

Post by Kemerton-bath Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:28 pm

As a previous owner of a 2009 Symbol I think there are three possible answers. 

If your habitation electrics are controlled by a small LCD display like that shown in the first picture below, then your electrical system is a rats nest of cables, connectors, fuses and relays beneath the bench seat. You access it by removing a horizontal plywood panel next to the kitchen units. I would guess the split charge relay is in there, but don’t expect it to be identified as such and be prepared to be dismayed at the poor standard of electrical installation.

Alternatively, you may have a much improved installation in the form of a Sargent EC155 power unit, controlled by the panel shown in the second picture. We have this system on our 2014 Kemerton. In this case the split charge relay in within the case of the EC155 and you could ask Sargent to help you identify it - they are quite helpful in my experience.

Finally, it may be neither of the above, in which case someone else may be able to advise.

Tim

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

2011 Symbol Split battery relay location Empty Re: 2011 Symbol Split battery relay location

Post by ballme1 Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:02 pm

Thanks Tim. I have the later LCD display and Sargent EC155, but not sure how you gain access into the case of the EC155.
ballme1
ballme1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:09 pm

I’ve not been inside the EC155 myself so can’t help. However it’s often used by those converting their own vans so you ought to find something helpful on YouTube.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by ballme1 Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:03 am

It looks like the Relay is circuit board mounted. I have raised a ticket with Sargent Technical support to see if it is possible to connect to the relay.
ballme1
ballme1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:51 am

What vehicle is it as some were installed under the bonnet

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:11 pm

You don't need to connect directly the relay itself, and there is no point in doing so if all you want to do is connect a Battery Master or one of the cheaper alternatives.

The reason why the instructions advise that you find the split charge relay is because that is where suitably sized, fused wires for both the leisure and vehicle batteries come together, so it makes installation easy. In your situation, the best solution is simply to connect to the appropriate wires adjacent to the EC155, before they enter it.

You will gain nothing at all by trying to open up the EC155 to connect up inside it.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down