The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer 1900cc Symbol fuel consumption

+9
tomjoad
-mojo-
Spospe
modelman
boxerman
Dutto
johnandeva
dennissue
Gordon Galsworthy
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Boxer 1900cc Symbol fuel consumption - Page 2 Empty Re: Boxer 1900cc Symbol fuel consumption

Post by -mojo- Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:03 pm

FannyFour wrote:but lets wait and see what further trips bring.

That seems wise - over such a short distance it's very hard to get an accurate picture, because even small errors in fill level can have a proportionately large effect on MPG calculations. I generally don't place any great faith in measured MPG figures until I have maybe half a dozen complete full-empty-full cycles, back to back, to average over.

I think, realistically, you can expect perhaps 32-34 MPG at best with that engine and weight of vehicle, provided you are using all of the conventional fuel-saving techniques, and providing most of your travels are on fast, uncongested roads.

You could maybe push that up a bit by travelling unusually slowly on the motorway and using some less conventional/not recommended techniques such as drafting, but I think you are going to be disappointed if you have any expectation of improving on an average of 40+ MPG. My current van, with a significantly smaller frontal area than yours and a very fuel efficient common rail TDi engine has never achieved that on average, and I use all of the tried and tested techniques.

Last edited by -mojo- on Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:10 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Speelink)
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Boxer 1900cc Symbol fuel consumption - Page 2 Empty Re: Boxer 1900cc Symbol fuel consumption

Post by bikeralw Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:03 pm

boxerman wrote:
@Al - there's nothing precise about my calculations. When the orange light comes on steadily, rather than coming on & going off, I note the mileage on the trip and reset it.

Frank
Not getting at anyone Frank, especially you who always says it like it is! Nothing precise about my calculations either, I even carry a full tank of water round all the time and hang the expense...
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:56 pm

boxerman wrote: When the orange light comes on steadily, rather than coming on & going off, I note the mileage on the trip and reset it.

Frank
 I try and drive uphill only which puts the light out!  hugegrins

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2