The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charger to replace Zig 7 on Duetto?

3 posters

Go down

Charger to replace Zig 7 on Duetto? Empty Charger to replace Zig 7 on Duetto?

Post by MrsGrey Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi everyone wave  . The Zig 7 charger on my V Reg Duetto has died and I need a new one. My Campervan guy says they are no longer made but doesn't know what replaces them now. Does anyone know? And preferable a good value one! winks  BTW has has checked it really is the charger....
Thanks smile!
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Charger to replace Zig 7 on Duetto? Empty Re: Charger to replace Zig 7 on Duetto?

Post by Paulmold Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:09 pm

The X7 is replaced with the X70 . You can check that on O'Leays website who sell them. Also check Ebay for sales.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Charger to replace Zig 7 on Duetto? Empty Re: Charger to replace Zig 7 on Duetto?

Post by MrsGrey Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Paulmold wrote:The X7 is replaced with the X70 . You can check that on O'Leays website who sell them. Also check Ebay for sales.
Thanks! Since posting I've been looking around for other discussion online and I have seen that there are perhaps better and cheaper chargers out there eg Amperor 18 amp 3-stage charger (a "smart" charger?). But -- It seems there could be a problem fitting it in that the wiring doesn't match up exactly to the Zig 7. See this comment:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Someone else has raised the issue of whether the wiring will cope with a higher output from the charger. But does it have a higher output? I can't find from my manual what the output is!
I know all the above seems like to buy a different charger would be taking on unnecessry possible problems but it does seems crazy to pay twice the price for a Zig X70 especially if it is rather old-fashioned and not as good...confused3

Any advice on this, Paulmold or others?think_smiley_46
Thanks!
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi wave 

MrsGrey wrote: I've been looking around for other discussion online and I have seen that there are perhaps better and cheaper chargers out there eg Amperor 18 amp 3-stage charger (a "smart" charger?). But -- It seems there could be a problem fitting it in that the wiring doesn't match up exactly to the Zig 7.
Judging by the picture on the manufacturer’s web site it wouldn’t be difficult to fit, you should find two red wires and two black wires connected to the Zig unit. It looks as if all need to do is connect both reds to the + connection and both blacks to the – connection.  This will need a minor wiring modification so if you don’t want to do it yourself you need to factor the labour charge into the final price.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Presumably (I couldn’t find a manual on the web site) the extra 12V output could be used to drive the LED on the control panel but it may need a series resistor (this is internal on the Zig). Hopefully the manual supplied with the unit would clarify.

MrsGrey wrote: Someone else has raised the issue of whether the wiring will cope with a higher output from the charger. But does it have a higher output? I can't find from my manual what the output is!
Shouldn’t be a problem. If the van wiring hasn’t been modified it’ll be wired with 6mm cable with a capacity of well over 40A. Even if it was only 4mm cable it would handle in excess of 20A. Actually there is no reason to think that you would use more current than you would have done with the Zig except possibly for a short time if the leisure battery was very flat.

MrsGrey wrote: but it does seems crazy to pay twice the price for a Zig X70 especially if it is rather old-fashioned and not as good
I'm not sure that I would agree that it'll work any better than the Zig in normal use. Despite what the manufacturer says I would have reservations about using it in “three stage charging mode” while also using it as a power supply on EHU. If you draw more than 3A it’ll assume your battery is flat and go to 14.5 volts which in my opinion is too high for possibly long periods on a fully charged battery.

In order to use it as a power supply I’d have it switched to “Float Mode” and it will work in exactly that same ways the Zig X7/X70 so there is no advantage in normal use. That said it is cheaper and you have the option to switch to three stage mode if you want to use it as a standalone battery charger so it's probably a good replacement for the Zig (I've no idea how reliable they are though).

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:21 am

Many thanks Brod . up! I won't be fitting it myself but my camper guy is I think not a whizz with this side of things. There was a really helpful guy at Amperor when I called about the wiring. He said there are some adjustment to make with the wiring and he would explain it to him when I'm ready to have it fitted. So I have ordered one. It does seem to be the "go to" model currently for people dismayed at the cost of the Zig X70.

That's really helpful about the modes -- thanks! up!
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down