The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water running down side door symbol

+3
Gram
oldbikerider
Bartonfolk
7 posters

Go down

Water running down side door symbol Empty Water running down side door symbol

Post by Bartonfolk Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello everyone
Took our new symbol out this week for first long run to Devon. Unfortunately weather has not been kind! But we are used to rain. Very disappointed to find that when we opened the side door water poured onto the travelling seat. Same when I opened the passenger window to pay for a ferry.....streaming water, does anyone else experience this or is it just something we have to get used to with a van conversion.
Any shared experiences/solutions would be very useful.
Bartonfolk
Bartonfolk

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Water running down side door symbol Empty Water running down side door

Post by oldbikerider Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Have had two Harmonies 1st on the old Talbot chassis and the latest on the Peugeot boxer. From first day purchased on both have suffered from same problem even though they both have/had gutter running above both round to front windscreen.
Got partial cure for a few months by running sealant along bottom of gutters but as this melts in the hot weather in France is not a lasting cure. and has to be repeated.
Its a design fault by AS and they don't seem to want to do anything about it.
oldbikerider
oldbikerider

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Water running down side door symbol Empty Re: Water running down side door symbol

Post by Gram Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:59 pm

My Symbol has a Fiamma awning installed so I fitted a strip of Fiamma Rain Guard M (Part No 561458) along the top of the awning box.

This has substantially reduced the amount of water dripping on to the rear passenger seat when the side door is open.

Alternatively, all new Autocruise PVC's have a plastic gutter strip stuck to the underside of the sliding door opening at the top.  I believe the Swift part number of the strip (which is self-adhesive) is 1095074.

I don't know how effective this is.

Sorry, Bartonfolk, I can't help you with the streaming water through the passenger door window.

Cheers,

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Water running down side door symbol Empty Re: Water running down side door symbol

Post by -mojo- Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 pm

oldbikerider wrote:Got partial cure for a few months by running sealant along bottom of gutters but as this melts in the hot weather in France is not a lasting cure. and has to be repeated.
If it melts in hot weather then it sounds like you are using a mastic instead of a sealant. If you use a PU-based sealant such as one of the Purlex or Sikalflex formulations, it won't melt in the sun. You will of course need to thoroughly clean away all traces of the mastic.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartonfolk Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Many thanks to all will try your solutions, it's a shame that AS don't rectify the problem.
Warm regards
Bartonfolk
Bartonfolk

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by nimbus Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:13 pm

I don't think that the problem is directly attributable to Autosleepers, more so to Peugeot for a poorly designed sliding door. However, Autosleepers could do a small modification to prevent the water ingress.

I had the same problem on my Warwick Duo and I cured it by installing an additional seal to the underside top of the door frame. Before I fitted the secondary seal any rainwater would run through the gap at the top of the door and accumulate beween the door and the door seal. When the door was opened this accumulation of water would run into the van.

Have a look at my post of 2½ years ago which may be helpful - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
nimbus

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by steles Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:08 pm

We were supplied the autocruise strip by Marquis for our new Kemerton. Easy to fit, clean with surgical wipe and stick in place. Works a treat.

Steles
steles
steles

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartonfolk Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Thank you! I will contact Marquis on Monday, sounds like a great solution.
Bartonfolk
Bartonfolk

Female

Back to top Go down

Water running down side door symbol Empty servil

Post by damunden Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 pm

we were at a motorhome show examining two servil based conversions when there was a cloud bust and boy did the rain stream in over the nearly closed side door drenching the inner trim. The sales lady looked unperturbed I saved my £20 K and walked away
damunden
damunden

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down