The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First motorhome on my drive! First questions!

5 posters

Go down

First motorhome on my drive! First questions! Empty First motorhome on my drive! First questions!

Post by RichardB Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi All
Great day today, after a 18 hour day on the train and road, we have finally finally picked up our first van -  A1999 Autosleeper Harmony (2L petrol) and I even managed to get it home in once piece, although did stop off at ATS to get the brakes check over as they felt a little "soft" - they where fixed and also I had the rear tires changed as they where dated 2005 and the guy pointed out a few areas where they looked like they where about to crack!

Anyway, got plenty of learning to do over the next few weeks and a few previous owner modifications to remove - spurious wires hanging around etc...

I have 2 immediate questions…the first one is should the leisure battery charge when the van is running?   According to the user manuals I think it should but dont know if it does.  On the ZIG unit I can press a button and it shows a RED light which apparently means its not fully charged - after 5 hours on the road I thought it would have charged and show green when I got home but it doesn't - its still red.  Am I doing it right or wrong?

Second is regarding the pictures of the fridge vents below.   On the top on at the middle left hand side there is what looks like a turnable screw thing - not sure what this is but on the bottom vent it looks to be missing….anyone know what it is and if it's important?

Both grills
First motorhome on my drive! First questions! B9v1

Top one
First motorhome on my drive! First questions! 1gos

Bottom one with bit missing
First motorhome on my drive! First questions! Teuz

Any help appreciated...
Thanks
Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

First motorhome on my drive! First questions! Empty Re: First motorhome on my drive! First questions!

Post by Dutto Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi there,

Started to reply but realised that I was looking at something different from what we have on "Petal" - sorry.tap_fingers tap_fingers 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Last edited by Dutto on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add correction! Sorry!)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

First motorhome on my drive! First questions! Empty harmony charging

Post by fisherman3 Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:05 pm

if your leisure battery is under the bonnet in the engine compartment there is usually a connector near the battery.check both fuses in this.the battery should charge when driving.if one of the fuses is blown you either get no lights in the van or the battery doesn't charge.good luck g
fisherman3
fisherman3

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : rambler

Back to top Go down

First motorhome on my drive! First questions! Empty Re: First motorhome on my drive! First questions!

Post by Harper22 Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:08 pm

HI Richard, the turn screw is not needed on our vans as the main frames are screwed to the van (the screw cap covers on outer frame) whereas on most caravans the outer frame is held with a mastic and the inner frames are held with the turn screws, don't worry too much there's very little chance of them coming loose up!

with regards to the leisure battery, mine wasn't charging to start with either, turned out to be a melted fuse holder above the engine battery under the bonnet was stopping the relay/alternator doing its job. Also the water level in the battery will be a factor
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardB Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 am

Hi all
Thanks all - 
The fridge covers aren't in the van - there are some on Ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171121085415) which look like the ones (if anyone can confirm).   I will try and find a turnscrew to replace the missing one even if it's not used, just to have one.

Re the leisure battery, I will check fuse holder later and see what thats like - but my insurance says I need to get a habitation check done so will probably get them to check that for me at the same time....

It's surprising what happens when you get a motorhome isn't it - normally sunday consists on me catching up on work, Pam hoovering and dusting and the girls lounging in bed listening to ipods....First day of the van and I've been up since 7am looking around it, the girls are both up, dressed and wanting to help - and Pam - well nothings really changed she's still hoovering and dusting but just not in the house!!!! allthumbz 

Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

First motorhome on my drive! First questions! Empty first motor home

Post by fisherman3 Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:48 pm

get onto staveley head for your insurance.
fisherman3
fisherman3

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : rambler

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:09 am

RichardB wrote:Hi all
Thanks all - 
The fridge covers aren't in the van - there are some on Ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171121085415) which look like the ones (if anyone can confirm).   I will try and find a turnscrew to replace the missing one even if it's not used, just to have one.

Re the leisure battery, I will check fuse holder later and see what thats like - but my insurance says I need to get a habitation check done so will probably get them to check that for me at the same time....
The fridge covers are the same as your ebay link.
However, I took mine off when we bought our van (2000) and have never put them back on!

The leisure battery on mine is under the drivers seat.
The fuse for charging while the engine is running is in a plastic holder on a 'fly' lead from the vehicle battery and is usually situated 'dangling' above it.
Usual common fault, they corrode or the fuse blows. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I replaced mine and taped it up well with insulating tape!

Would be best also to get a check done on the leisure battery condition.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down