The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sliding window removal

2 posters

Go down

sliding window removal Empty sliding window removal

Post by Harper22 Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi folks, I have had a search on here but cant find the relevant information but apologies if I have missed it. 

As some of you know from reading my MOT hell post my girl is having some extensive rust work undertaken professionally but there will still be a few little areas I will have to tackle myself, The most pressing of which will be around the sliding windows but specifically the one in the side sliding door as this has started to bubble up quite quickly in the last few months. I am led to believe this is from AS using steel screws to attach the black panels onto the side wall of the van base.

Has anyone removed the sliding windows at all? i have looked at the whole "sandwich" and cant figure out where to start with the removal and as parts are so rare now I don't want to break anything using the "brute force and ignorance approach" I feel it needs to come out frame and all to get a good proper job done on her as desperately want to stop the rust in its tracks to keep her on the road for many years to come, especially as internally she is still perfect.

all advise welcome as will be starting this in about 2 weeks when she is back from the body shop up! 

Regards

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

sliding window removal Empty Re: sliding window removal

Post by Harper22 Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:41 pm

anyone????? so_sad
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Just been outside to look at mine.
Have never removed one, but did remove the internal plastic surround when repairing the cracks that had appeared.
I would suggest removing the plastic surround and then the blind cassette. They are all held in place with screws so no difficult.
You may be able to see if there are any signs of fixing then.
I would assume that some kind of fixing/clamping is used on the 'inside'.
I expect the unit could be 'split' once out.

I did look at the window on the other side as there is more of a gap to see, but again nothing obvious.

The 'Hi-top' windows above these sliding windows are held in place with clamps which are screwed through the plywood internal structure.
The heads of the screws were not obvious because of the carpet trim that is used.

If I were tackling the job, I would set about as above first.

Good luck

PB

BTW why do you want to remove it?

On ebay there are replacement units for sale, not the same but the principle would be the same:

Outer and inner frames are simply screwed together from inside, clamping the window to the vehicle wall, giving pressure for a continuing and lasting seal

peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Cheers PB, sadly my girl is in the garage at the min so can't look myself, I need to tackle the rust around the edges of the black outer panel (AS and there wonderful metal screw system) the rust goes under the panel and from memory it looked like I needed to take the window frame out to remove the black facia panel to then get to the rust. Don't want to do a half * Inappropriate Word * job on it and have the rust back in 6 months Whistle1 

I was hoping that someone on here had done something similar in the past, emailed Alan at AS to ask for advise on how they were assembled but no reply as yet read 

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi Harper22

Had another look.
It looks like the window frame is bonded onto the black plastic trim with the mastic sealing strips they use on all the other windows.

If I were to tackle the job, I think I would cut around the window frame.
Even if you knew how to take the window out, the mastic would be hard to remove and I think you would end up damaging the black plastic trim in the process, as it will probably be very brittle.

Can I suggest, you cut into the black plastic trim around the window frame, leaving the window frame in place and remove the black plastic trim over it.
Do your body repairs and refit the panel.
There is a 'groove' in the plastic trim all the way round adjacent to where the window frame sits.
This 'groove' could then be used to form a seal around the window using sikaflex etc.

Have a look when you can and see if any of this makes sense.
I know you want to do a proper job, but trying to remove that window, I think will cause you even more sleepless nights!.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:50 pm

I think you could well be right PB, the only other reference i can find on here about it also said they cut round the panel, its a shame that in the course of making a well built conversion they make it so hard down the line to take things out again hugegrins , hopefully I can get to enough of the bad to stop it in its tracks. I'm heading over to the garage tomorrow to see how work is progressing so will take another look then, Once again thanks for taking the time to have a look for me as not having the van with me makes it hard to think ahead up! 

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Just had a reply from AS 

"Start from the inside…..remove the blind and surround…..this will expose the aluminium brackets holding the  window in place ..remove those… this will leave the exterior window surround to remove
A word of advice…check with the parts dept on [url=tel:01386 842630]01386 842630[/url]  for availability of parts as most are bonded in place and difficult to remove
Regards"

So def on the right lines from the inside out, will keep updating in case anyone else needs to do it

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Neil

Had another thought...............................if you can, remove the window clamps or whatever else secures it to the inside of the van.
Remove the screws that hold the black plastic trim in place.
Remove the panel and window in one piece.
You don't need to remove the window from the panel, or cut the panel.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:09 pm

OMG that would be pure genius if it worked wouldn't it, why didn't I think of that blushes  I will def try that option PB your a star celebrate1 

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down