The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moisture or condensation in acrylic window

3 posters

Go down

Moisture or condensation in acrylic window Empty Moisture or condensation in acrylic window

Post by mikeandlizriley Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:01 pm

A little moisture (or condensation) has managed to find its way into the acrylic window in the roof of my VW Trident.  Despite my first attempts to get rid, such as opening the windows and doors fully on a sunny day or closing the van up and putting a heater on, I have been singularly unsuccessful.....!

Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, did they manage to cure the problem without taking drastic steps such as purchasing a new unit (I don't want to do this unless I really have to).

I would be grateful for any advice/suggestions.

Mike Riley
mikeandlizriley
mikeandlizriley

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Moisture or condensation in acrylic window Empty Re: Moisture or condensation in acrylic window

Post by Dutto Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:10 pm

Oooooh!  My heart nearly stopped when you mentioned "buy a new unit"!!

Condensation between double glazed windows is a common problem in many motorhomes, caravans and boats.

In most instances the units are not "sealed and filled with inert gas" (like the double glazing units in a house) so a small plug is installed in the inner skin.

The secret is to find this plug, remove it on a nice sunny day to let the condensation evaporate and then re-install the plug just after the temperature starts to fall.

The plug may have been knocked or fallen out (or into the gap) and caused the condensation in the first place.

Seek and ye shall find; and before buying new units ask yourself "How irritating is a bit of condensation?"shrugg 

Personally I am a pessimist and presume that any replacement will fail in a similar manner so how many times would I have to change out the window before I gave up and learned to live with it.tap_fingers 

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Moisture or condensation in acrylic window Empty Re: Moisture or condensation in acrylic window

Post by ournev Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:25 pm

It certainly helps me because I have the same problem, although there are a few small cracks around the bung hole (am I allowed to say that?).

A little clear adhesive will seal the cracks but the sunny day may have to wait.

ournev
ournev

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down