The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reimo John Cotton drive away awning

2 posters

Go down

Reimo John Cotton drive away awning Empty Reimo John Cotton drive away awning

Post by ifiwasaballoon Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi all

I've recently bought a VW trident 1991 which came with a Reimo John Cotton awning. The tunnel has no figure 8 connections but, unless I am doing it wrong (there are no instructions), there has a pole which fits in a sleeve on the tunnel which then somehow attaches to the van. The pole is too big for the J rail but does seem to fit in the gutter next to the high top. Is this how it is supposed to connect?

It also came with a bedroom which I cant work out how to fit. It has hooks which are exactly right for the poles but the poles are too high and the bedroom doesn't sit on the ground properly. I'm beginning to think it is from a different tent/awning. Advice?

Thanks

Garry
ifiwasaballoon
ifiwasaballoon

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Reimo John Cotton drive away awning Empty Re: Reimo John Cotton drive away awning

Post by Harper22 Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:40 pm

The sleeve and pole system is designed for the gutter rail on the van but you will need the clamps to fit it as well, These are small metal brackets that have a wing nut to tighten and release them one side grips round the pole and the other grips the gutter. you may have these in with the rest of the poles/pegs but maybe not realised what they were for, as for the bedroom compartment if it is an original one for the awning it should sit on the ground and reach the poles, The only thing you may not be doing right is locating the inner tent in the right area of the awning but I would imagine this is fairly self explanatory as there cant be many locations to fit an inner tent snigger 

good luck with the brackets, I found mine didnt stay put very well with them so got some of the figure 8 instead
Regards

Neil up!
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Reimo John Cotton drive away awning Empty Re: Reimo John Cotton drive away awning

Post by ifiwasaballoon Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Harper22 wrote:The sleeve and pole system is designed for the gutter rail on the van but you will need the clamps to fit it as well, These are small metal brackets that have a wing nut to tighten and release them one side grips round the pole and the other grips the gutter. you may have these in with the rest of the poles/pegs but maybe not realised what they were for, as for the bedroom compartment if it is an original one for the awning it should sit on the ground and reach the poles, The only thing you may not be doing right is locating the inner tent in the right area of the awning but I would imagine this is fairly self explanatory as there cant be many locations to fit an inner tent snigger 

good luck with the brackets, I found mine didnt stay put very well with them so got some of the figure 8 instead
Regards

Neil up!

Thanks Neil.

I have no clamps and the pole is too big for the J rail. Is there some kind of kit that adapts the pole and sleeve into figure 8 (or whatever the J rail needs)?

We've come to the conclusion that the bedroom is not designed for the awning. Its just not right.

Thanks again

Garry
ifiwasaballoon
ifiwasaballoon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi There, Yes the pole wont fit "in" the j rail as thats not the intended location for it, to attach the pole to the rain gutter my awning uses something like this (eBay item no 150629475799) which would fit the awning to the van like this Reimo John Cotton drive away awning 600_____pole_clamp6_11613

alternatively these would work too (ebay item no 281128220431) around the area of the sleeve that the pole fits through is there some webbing with a fatter edge stitched to it? that would be what slides into the figure 8 channel and then slots onto the J rail which would look like this on the van

Reimo John Cotton drive away awning $(KGrHqV,!h8F!Fe2!,1,BQCC9rdmqw~~60_35

Hope this helps

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ifiwasaballoon Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Cheers. I don't have a rain gutter that looks like that, just the J rail. And the awning only has a sleeve for the pole and no beading. (I took some pictures but cant post them for some reason). Maybe the awning isn't compatible with the van? Although I have a photo taken by the previous owner of the van with awning, its not close enough to see how he attached it. I think he must have just 'made do'?

Garry
ifiwasaballoon
ifiwasaballoon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:20 pm

The other option is they may of thrown guy ropes from the tunnel section up and over the van as some fit like that too. and your rain gutter may not be the same shape as that or most likely if its a high top van conversion like my harmony that its hidden behind the black cover trims
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Reimo John Cotton drive away awning Empty awning attachment solution

Post by ifiwasaballoon Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:54 pm

I've just been away for the weekend and used the awning for the first time. I bought a set of spring clamps from B&Q and used them to hold the pole in the rain gutter next to the high top. (One side of the clamp on top of the pole, the other under the J rail). It worked fine and there were no leaks during the few showers we had. That said, there was no wind so I don't know how secure this arrangement would be in windy conditions.

PHOTO:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now all I have to do is work out how to open the side door without tearing the awning.. .

Thanks for your help

Garry
ifiwasaballoon
ifiwasaballoon

Male

Back to top Go down