The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham awning

5 posters

Go down

Kingham awning Empty Kingham awning

Post by Caught1once Sat May 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi I am looking at the possibility of buying a porch awning, it would not be used as a Drive-Away and would be secured directly onto the 6mm channel on the Thule windout awning.
After attaching the porch awning can the van awning be fully closed as I am concerned that the porch awning would be damaged as Thule awning closes completely 
Also can you advise please of a suitable awning for this van

Thanks Ken
Caught1once
Caught1once

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham pvc
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Kingham awning Empty Re: Kingham awning

Post by Toffee Sun May 17, 2020 10:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 am

The above is a vango idris I think it’s been superseded, also Litchfield tents are rebranded vango awnings. You will need a tall one
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun May 17, 2020 10:37 am

Caught1once wrote:Hi I am looking at the possibility of buying a porch awning, it would not be used as a Drive-Away and would be secured directly onto the 6mm channel on the Thule windout awning.
After attaching the porch awning can the van awning be fully closed as I am concerned that the porch awning would be damaged as Thule awning closes completely 

Thanks Ken
No personal experience Ken, but this suggests that you need not worry.

You may or may not need this bit of kit, but it will do the job safely if the awning fitting itself gives you some concern.

Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Sun May 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Caught1once wrote:Hi I am looking at the possibility of buying a porch awning, it would not be used as a Drive-Away and would be secured directly onto the 6mm channel on the Thule windout awning.

Thanks Ken

Hi Ken,

Coming from caravans, with porch and full awnings over the years, I found a drive away awning to be far more versatile for motorhomes.

I think I’d be more worried that the weight of the porch awning might damage your Thule wind out canopy mechanism, after it is attached and before the Thule is wound back in.

I use a similar method to attach my ‘drive away’ Kampa, but because my awning is freestanding, I erect it and position it before attaching it to the wind out channel. This means that when I wind out my canopy, to allow me to reach the channel, I only have the light weight of the connecting tunnel and Kador strip to consider as the canopy is wound back in.

Travelling solo, to attach a non drive away type of awning, I’d need to carry a step, to allow me to reach the slot of my wind out canopy, then have to manhandle the bulk of the weight of the awning, while I threaded it in to the channel and physically pulled it along the length of the van. 

My opinion is that to do this without a step, would need the wind out canopy extended sufficiently to allow me to reach it and would be in a weak position if done without the legs down, or if windy, would require the canopy legs to be used and pegged down, which is too much of a faff for me.

Another consideration when looking for an awning is the sliding door on the van. It sits wider than the van profile when it pops open and as it slides back to the fully open position, many awnings are not wide enough to clear the open door. The rear top corner of my door snags the connecting tunnel of the awning if I’m not careful.

(Another) Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Kingham awning Empty Drive Away Awning

Post by Pumpintulip Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:22 am

Toffee wrote:The above is a vango idris I think it’s been superseded, also Litchfield tents are rebranded vango awnings. You will need a tall one
Toffee, there is an idris 2 310 wide x 370 is this the same size as yours, if so are you able to open the side door without fouling the awning. 
Pumpintulip
Pumpintulip

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down