The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas for solving Duetto awning prob please

2 posters

Go down

Ideas for solving Duetto awning prob please Empty Ideas for solving Duetto awning prob please

Post by Den and Colin Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Dear all - I've just explained to another member about our problem with our new awning and that it's probably not the best bet for a Duetto even though it is well made and a great size.

The depth of the tunnel means that the channel on the Fiamma awning isn't high enough and the tunnel sags in the middle and the sides of the tunnel don't sit against the van.  We managed ok on our first trip with it but it didn't look very tidy and the trough made by the sagging fabric soon had puddles of rain.  We tried putting it up back home today and used cord over the roof to fix it on the other side.  This showed us that the tunnel fitted nicely if it was pulled higher up the side of the van.  Sadly, using this method on site won't be a solution because the front cord would either catch on skylight or slide down the front of the roof .....  So, it looks like we need to look into having a new j rail fitted higher up the van - would have to go above the top windows.

I'm feeling cross with myself and a bit sheepish not to have checked what would be a good buy with you guys first but, as I said to Hilda in the other thread, hindsight is a wonderful thing ...... (and at least I have forewarned others!)

Anyway - wondered if there might be another solution that we haven't thought of and if there would be a problem having a j rail fitted at that height?  How does the 'pole and clamp' method work?  I've seen that mentioned in a few places but not what it is.

How much can we expect it to cost to have a j rail fitted?

Yours with a bit of a red face,  Denise
Den and Colin
Den and Colin
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto

Back to top Go down

Ideas for solving Duetto awning prob please Empty Re: Ideas for solving Duetto awning prob please

Post by Dutto Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi there,

We always fit an extending line-prop to the centre of our awning when we use the Windblocker to stop the middle of the awning from sagging.

The Windblocker itself uses two line-props to attach the end bits and what we do after fitting the three of them is to reel the awning back in a bit to tighten it.

It's not easy to see what we mean but there are three props under that awning!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You could use a similar system without the Windblocker to keep the awning fabric tight.

Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Ideas for solving Duetto awning prob please Empty Re: Ideas for solving Duetto awning prob please

Post by Den and Colin Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi Dutto - thanks for that - a really useful suggestion for the awning.  Its really the tunnel we've got the problem with - I'll try and upload a picture tomorrow.  Goodness, this campervan lark is like having an extra full time job, so much to do !!!

smile!  Denise
Den and Colin
Den and Colin
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:56 am

Den and Colin wrote:Hi Dutto - thanks for that - a really useful suggestion for the awning.  Its really the tunnel we've got the problem with - I'll try and upload a picture tomorrow.  Goodness, this campervan lark is like having an extra full time job, so much to do !!!

smile!  Denise

Denise,

Welcome to the club!!hugegrins hugegrins

We start packing tomorrow for a month away so it's "deep breath and get stuck in" time!tap_fingers

Enjoy. It's fun really, honest!! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down