The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap

+4
-mojo-
Dutto
Robbie
Bulletguy
8 posters

Go down

Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap  Empty Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap

Post by Bulletguy Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Bought some G4 LED's from a UK trader on Ebay but the bulb unit is slightly wider than the original so wont fit in the lens cap (see photo).

With a slight bit of modifying of the lens cap by widening the hole, I could get the LED's to pass through, but am a bit concerned about busting the damn things as they are only plastic and quite fragile. Are replacements available and if so where?

Any thoughts on modifying also appreciated.

Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap  34glq37
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap  Empty Re: Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap

Post by Robbie Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 pm

If you need to enlarge the hole a bit a dremmel is by far the best tool for the job and you wont break the housing :)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap  Empty Re: Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap

Post by Bulletguy Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 am

Robbie wrote:If you need to enlarge the hole a bit a dremmel is by far the best tool for the job and you wont break the housing :)

Now why didn't I think of that?!! scratch head

I've got some somewhere......not sure any that small but got to be worth a poke around the garage tomorrow! up!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Update on the 'modification'.

Took ages to widen out the hole enough to get these LED's to fit through.......only to find once in the socket, the lens cap cannot be fitted as the LED bulb is too long!!! rolleyes

I'm curious about this as i've read of other people swapping the halogens in their van over to LED. I just wonder if there are any Duetto owners who have, and if so.....what LED bulbs did you buy and where from?
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi there,

Bought six of these from Ultraleds:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The top image is of what you take out and the bottom image is what you fit back in.

It took me less than twenty minutes to change them all out.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Yes I can see those are definitely a direct replacement for the halogens and straightforward fit.

Pity they come at such a high price though.....£28.52 to do just four lights (I wouldn't bother with the two cab lights). Twenty quid more than what I paid for my four LEDS!

These things are being knocked out by the billion from the usual producers and should be retailing at a fraction of these prices. I'm of the opinion it's pretty much like when domestic energy saving bulbs first came on the market and sold at silly money. Now they can't even give those damn things away!

Look at this here though Dutto.....just done a quick Google and found the identical in US.

£35.79 for ten! Including postage to UK. smile!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 am

Unfortunately there's a lot of profit being made for no added value with many of the UK-based suppliers. I'm not "undermining British manufacturers" by saying that, as these companies just buy them in bulk for pennies each from China anyway.

If you want value for money, find out the exact bulb spec and buy through Ebay. If you're happy to wait, the ones that come from Hong Kong generally work very well, and there are now quite a few UK-based suppliers that don't have such huge markups either. I've been replacing the cab lighting in the new van, and two W5W 1.5Watt bulbs cost a grand total of £1.98, shipped from a UK supplier. They arrived the day after I ordered them and work perfectly.

I also changed the DRL's (which are conventional lamps fitted within the headlight cluster on the current model T5s) for LEDs because the filament bulbs have a reputation for failing frequently, and the only reason I paid so much - at £5 each - is because they were guaranteed to work Ok with the lamp failure detection circuits that VW use.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:44 am

-mojo- wrote:Unfortunately there's a lot of profit being made for no added value with many of the UK-based suppliers. I'm not "undermining British manufacturers" by saying that, as these companies just buy them in bulk for pennies each from China anyway.

If you want value for money, find out the exact bulb spec and buy through Ebay. If you're happy to wait, the ones that come from Hong Kong generally work very well, and there are now quite a few UK-based suppliers that don't have such huge markups either. I've been replacing the cab lighting in the new van, and two W5W 1.5Watt bulbs cost a grand total of £1.98, shipped from a UK supplier. They arrived the day after I ordered them and work perfectly.

I also changed the DRL's (which are conventional lamps fitted within the headlight cluster on the current model T5s) for LEDs because the filament bulbs have a reputation for failing frequently, and the only reason I paid so much - at £5 each - is because they were guaranteed to work Ok with the lamp failure detection circuits that VW use.
Most if not all are made there now i would think. However the G4 LEDs on eBay, I bought mine off a UK supplier after scouring the site for a similar size replacement to the halogen and there just simply isn't any. They are either too wide or too long to fit the lens cover back on.

What kind of size dimensions are the bulbs you bought? Do you have a link?
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap  Empty Cheap at half the price!!

Post by Dutto Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:46 am

Hi there,

I am still happy with my purchase despite the obvious mark-up by the supplier.

Three reasons:

1) They work without any voltage regulation so I can have them on even when the EHU is on and the battery is being charged.

2) The supplier replied promptly to my queries and delivery was within a couple of days.

3) With a full set of LED's in "Petal" there is no reason to install a second leisure battery when we are wild camping. (We have had "normal" light, pump, heater and TV usage for two nights off the single 65Ah lead-acid battery currently installed.)

Of course, it would have been nicer if the LED replacement bulbs had been a tenth of the price, but the key element for me is that they work!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Bulletguy wrote:I bought mine off a UK supplier after scouring the site for a similar size replacement to the halogen and there just simply isn't any. They are either too wide or too long to fit the lens cover back on.

What kind of size dimensions are the bulbs you bought? Do you have a link?

I understand what you and Dutto are saying - if you put "G4 LED" into the Ebay search function you get over 7 thousand hits back!

I confess I take a rather random approach because they are seldom described well enough to be sure of dimensions. So I just buy a few of each and see what fits. So for example with my W5W cab map lights I thought these would fit:

but they were too long and touched the plastic cover. Instead these fitted, were less than half the price and arrived the following day:

I'm now trying to find replacements for the BA9S halogen bulbs in the Osram Co-Pilot reading lamps in my van - that's more of a challenge, as the bulbs are installed from the rear, so the capsule must be smaller than the base...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Bulletguy wrote:Update on the 'modification'.

Took ages to widen out the hole enough to get these LED's to fit through.......only to find once in the socket, the lens cap cannot be fitted as the LED bulb is too long!!! rolleyes

I'm curious about this as i've read of other people swapping the halogens in their van over to LED. I just wonder if there are any Duetto owners who have, and if so.....what LED bulbs did you buy and where from?

These look identical to the ones on our Pollensa and I had exactly the same problems you have described. I was simply able to shorten the pins on the LEDs which then allowed the lens glasses to fit. had_idea
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:09 pm

-mojo- wrote:

I understand what you and Dutto are saying - if you put "G4 LED" into the Ebay search function you get over 7 thousand hits back!

I confess I take a rather random approach because they are seldom described well enough to be sure of dimensions. So I just buy a few of each and see what fits. So for example with my W5W cab map lights I thought these would fit:

but they were too long and touched the plastic cover.

The problem I had!

-mojo- wrote:

Instead these fitted, were less than half the price and arrived the following day:

Are the internal light lenses the same in your van as the AS Duetto? (see above photo of mine)

Looking at that link and the measurements, those might fit. Certainly the length/width is ok......the only thing which does concern me slightly is the terminals and how they are encased. My bulb terminals are simply two bare wire prongs 4mm apart and approx 9mm long.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:12 pm

rogerblack wrote:

These look identical to the ones on our Pollensa and I had exactly the same problems you have described. I was simply able to shorten the pins on the LEDs which then allowed the lens glasses to fit. had_idea

Did you also need to open up the hole in the reflector lens in order to get them to go in?
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
Looking at that link and the measurements, those might fit. Certainly the length/width is ok......the only thing which does concern me slightly is the terminals and how they are encased. My bulb terminals are simply two bare wire prongs 4mm apart and approx 9mm long.

Sorry, the links were meant just as an illustration of the variation in W5W bulbs. They won't fit a G4.

The problem with your photo is that (at least for me) the right hand side of it is chopped off, so it's not possible to see the fitting that the bulb goes into.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:

Sorry, the links were meant just as an illustration of the variation in W5W bulbs. They won't fit a G4.

The problem with your photo is that (at least for me) the right hand side of it is chopped off, so it's not possible to see the fitting that the bulb goes into.

Mojo

The original photo was just of the lens reflector removed from the unit itself. Here are a couple of photos of the light unit in my van, the first with the lens reflector removed....second with it in. Standard AS fitment (at least in the Duetto).

Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap  2v3hrgo

Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap  Dpbcwp
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
rogerblack wrote:

Did you also need to open up the hole in the reflector lens in order to get them to go in?

Yes I did - went through exactly the same process as you have - enlarged the hole then couldn't get the lens cover glass back in place hence had to shorten the legs. It was a bit of jiggery-pokery but all worked out in the end. up!
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:40 pm

Roger

I enlarged the reflector you see in the photo. Not a job i exactly relished as even though the reflector is metal, the lens and surround are just plastic.....one slip up and that's one knackered reflector! I did consider snipping the pins down until reading Dutto's post last night and have since been back on eBay to read through the Sellers t&c's and he accepts no quibble returns, so am sending them back for a refund.

Just never thought fitting LED's would prove such a problem!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:16 am

Bulletguy wrote:Bought some G4 LED's from a UK trader on Ebay but the bulb unit is slightly wider than the original so wont fit in the lens cap (see photo).

With a slight bit of modifying of the lens cap by widening the hole, I could get the LED's to pass through, but am a bit concerned about busting the damn things as they are only plastic and quite fragile. Are replacements available and if so where?

Any thoughts on modifying also appreciated.

Modifying Duetto interior light lens cap  34glq37

Hi Bulletguy, I bought some of these for my harmony and found that if you take the plastic reflector out of the gold casing you can take the glass out too, I then put the reflector back into the outer bezel, attached that back to the light THEN pushed the two prongs up into the fitting, As the prongs on these are longer than halogens the glass wasn't going to fit anyway but as led's give off no heat this isn't a problem and works a treat and its still original (kept the glass) for if i come to sell her :-)

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Harper22 wrote:

Hi Bulletguy, I bought some of these for my harmony and found that if you take the plastic reflector out of the gold casing you can take the glass out too, I then put the reflector back into the outer bezel, attached that back to the light THEN pushed the two prongs up into the fitting, As the prongs on these are longer than halogens the glass wasn't going to fit anyway but as led's give off no heat this isn't a problem and works a treat and its still original (kept the glass) for if i come to sell her :-)

Neil

An interesting method there Neil. Must admit I had to read through your post a couple of time before I could see what you'd done!
I've already returned my LED's otherwise i'd have given that a go. However what this does highlight is swapping the bog standard G4 halogen bulbs for LED's is not nearly as straightforward as some would have you believe. Apart from those which Dutto has used, I haven't found any which are a direct swap.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
Harper22 wrote:

Neil

An interesting method there Neil. Must admit I had to read through your post a couple of time before I could see what you'd done!
I've already returned my LED's otherwise i'd have given that a go. However what this does highlight is swapping the bog standard G4 halogen bulbs for LED's is not nearly as straightforward as some would have you believe. Apart from those which Dutto has used, I haven't found any which are a direct swap.

I did buy some others from ebay that were smaller but still had to fit them the same way, They give off quite a yellowish light but they are only really used for bit of ambient lighting of an evening rather than reading lights. I know some people snipped the pins down to make them short enough to still fit the glass casing but removed the reflector totally. i'm happy with how mine is for the time being especially as how expensive led's can be

Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by sherbie Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 am

Hi we have the same fittings in our Sherbourne. Trying to get access to the bulb does the glass lift out or do you have to take the full front off? If so how and what with ? Any advice appreciated we are also fitting leds . Cheers Deb and Si.
sherbie
sherbie

Male

Member Age : 48
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sherbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 pm

sherbie wrote:Hi we have the same fittings in our Sherbourne. Trying to get access to the bulb does the glass lift out or do you have to take the full front off? If so how and what with ? Any advice appreciated we are also fitting leds . Cheers Deb and Si.

The reflector simply twist/turns and comes away leaving the bulb exposed. The glass is actually plastic and (from memory) part of the reflector.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sherbie Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Ta managed to figure out this today and felt a bit stupid it was so simple. Thanks for confirming plastic is with the reflector we had considered it might not be. Looks like different LEDs required.
What a nice helpful forum :)
sherbie
sherbie

Male

Member Age : 48
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sherbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingrider8368 Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi, I have just replaced 3 of the four spot light bulbs in our Clubman GL with G4 LED replacements.  It took me some time to complete because it took me a while to work out how to remove the glass.  It had, in effect a plastic circlip to hold it in.  Once I removed it, the fitting was a tight fit to change.  I didn't have to make any adjustments though, as the socket is on the side and not through the middle.  A lot easier to work with but I also cannot get the glass back in, so I am going the no glass route but keeping them should I want to put it back to original.
I got the LED's from Maplins but they appear to be discontinuing that manufacturer.  Hopefully they will soon get another to supply them and I can do the last one.  
Thanks for all the hints earlier on in the thread, they certainly helped me..

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down