The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symphony leisure battery problem

5 posters

Go down

Symphony leisure battery problem Empty Symphony leisure battery problem

Post by PennyB Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi
Me again. Got the water pump sorted but now we're away in the freezing cold and last night the heater stopped working, we think because there is not enough power coming from the leisure battery to ignite the heater. (Though it worked the previous evening and we drove around a fair bit yesterday.) Given that the water pump worked when we plugged into the mains we think the leisure battery needs replacing. Does this sound right? And is it easy to get out and replace? We read somewhere about having to take out the drivers seat. sounds tricky, especially away from home and tools!
We are in the New Forest, trying to decide whether to buy a new battery, or give up and go home to a warm house! Any helpful suggestions gratefully received!
Thank you, PennyB.
PennyB
PennyB

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Symphony leisure battery problem Empty Re: Symphony leisure battery problem

Post by boxerman Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Are you using Propane or Butane?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyB Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:11 pm

We're using propane - the red bottles.
PennyB
PennyB

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Wouldn't necessarilly 'jump' and replace the battery.
Is it receiving a charge when the engine is running?

If you do a search on here there has been lots written about leisure batteries and their fuses!

I think your battery location may be the same as my Harmony and that is under the drvers seat.
You may have to remove the seat to gain access and check the battery. (Held in with allen screws....you probably may not carry allen keys with you)

If you need further help, the forum will!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:43 pm

I asked about the gas to rule out the low temp/butane issue but as you are using propane...

As PB says regarding the battery, don't jump to conclusions, check that the battery is getting a charge. BTW on occasions, when I've been messing about in the van doing jobbettes and my leisure battery has been low, the propex won't fire up unless I start the engine. It will run OK then, after I've switched the engine off.

Whether this will work for you or not I do not know, mine's a '95 and the 12v electrics DO NOT go off when the engine is running, unlike some later models.

I can get my leisure battery in and out without removing the seat, I just slide it as far forward as it will go, and it will lift out.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi Penny.

The seat will need to be removed to take out the leisure battery. On my Boxer the seat is fastened down with torx bolts but as PB said an allen key will fit. However if you slide the seat all of the way forward you can access the battery cell top up caps. Take these out and top up the cells with deionated water. If the battery has not been checked it my have dried out. If it has been dry for a while the battery may be beyond saving as I know to my cost. Carefull when messing with the battery though, They have sulphuric acid in them and they also give of explosive hydrogen gas when charging.

Good Luck. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi, I agree with Boxerman. I have changed my battery without removing the seat.No problem.
Its generally thought a small electrical meter,only costing a few pounds,is worth having for all electrical problems.

regards

Mike wave
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyB Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi and thanks to you all for your helpful advice. Decided in the end to replace the battery after trying various things. It turned out to be relatively easy to change the battery as I stayed inside the shop in the warm (!) while my OH slid the seat forward and undid the battery lead clamps and the clamps holding it to the battery tray and then just lifted it out.
Many thanks to Charles and Son in Poole for the loan of their tools and providing a replacement nut when my OH dropped one which rolled beneath the battery tray and he couldn't get it out again!
Just had lunch over looking Poole Harbour in a toasty warm van. Bliss. up!
PennyB
PennyB
PennyB

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:03 am

PennyB wrote:
Hi and thanks to you all for your helpful advice. Decided in the end to replace the battery after trying various things. It turned out to be relatively easy to change the battery as I stayed inside the shop in the warm (!) while my OH slid the seat forward and undid the battery lead clamps and the clamps holding it to the battery tray and then just lifted it out.
Many thanks to Charles and Son in Poole for the loan of their tools and providing a replacement nut when my OH dropped one which rolled beneath the battery tray and he couldn't get it out again!
Just had lunch over looking Poole Harbour in a toasty warm van. Bliss. up!
PennyB

Glad you got it sorted relatively easily.

Would advise you get it checked that it is receiving a charge when the engine is running otherwise you may be back to square one!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyB Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks PB we will do that ASAP.