The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident 1998 - leisure battery problem

4 posters

Go down

Trident 1998 - leisure battery problem Empty Trident 1998 - leisure battery problem

Post by perryg Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi

I own a 1998 Autosleeper Trident 2L Petrol. I recently needed a new leisure battery fitting and the guy who did it said the battery tray is badly corroded. The leisure battery sits alongside the starter battery and the guy (an auto electrician) also said that he didn’t feel the battery set-up was particularly safe as there isn’t much clearance between the terminals of the leisure battery and the bodywork. 

He actually thinks it may be better to relocate the leisure battery altogether (possibly to a space behind the driver’s seat).

I had bought the leisure battery myself (I had originally gone to ATS as their website said they fit leisure batteries but unfortunately the branch I went to was pretty clueless). It was an exact swap for the one already in the van to ensure it would fit  (a Banner Energy Bull 95551 12V 72Ah) and which seems to be the smallest around (205 mm high including terminals).

But I’m presuming that when the van was converted in the first place the set-up was regarded as safe so perhaps the original leisure battery was slightly smaller than the one I now have?

I will need to get the battery tray looked at but fear it might not be straightforward. Just wondered if anyone else had come across a similar issue on these vans and how they dealt with it. Also, I wondered whether if the battery tray can be sorted whether I might be better trying to use a smaller starter battery as the leisure battery  to improve the clearance (I appreciate a proper leisure battery is better but I understand a starter battery can also be used).

Any advice appreciated!

Perry
perryg
perryg
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Trident 1998 - leisure battery problem Empty Re: Trident 1998 - leisure battery problem

Post by thehedd Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi 
Maybe a second opinion is needed...i have a 1993 trooper, I ll have a look at the make of battery, it must be similar set up.
thehedd
thehedd

Female

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1993 vw

Back to top Go down

Trident 1998 - leisure battery problem Empty Re: Trident 1998 - leisure battery problem

Post by Paulmold Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 pm

For battery tray, read this thread....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by perryg Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:41 am

Thanks Paul - the double battery tray mentioned in that thread looks like exactly what I need.
perryg
perryg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mac111051 Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm

The original battery was a normal starter battery as a leisure  battery is to high to fitt
mac111051
mac111051

Male

Member Age : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by perryg Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on this.

In the end I had a new battery tray made and fitted by PFP Coachworks in Newtongrange (near Edinburgh) - they restore old VWs and have now done a couple of jobs on mine and are very good. 

The tray accommodates both the starter battery and a leisure battery sitting side by side but as Mac pointed out, the original vans of my era just had a second starter battery fitted.

cheers

Perry
perryg
perryg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down