The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LPG tank

+2
roli
Bessbus
6 posters

Go down

LPG tank Empty LPG tank

Post by Bessbus Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Hello, I have recently purchased a two year old autosleeper Warwick duo and have a query re the on board LPG tank. I feel it would've safer to isolate the gas supply whilst on the move but cannot find a conveniently placed shut off valve. Does anyone know if there is a shut ff valve and if so where isit located. I suspect that it may involve crawling under the van which I do not really want to do. Is it safe, therefore, to travel without isolating the main gas supply. I cannot find anything in the manual re this other than to isolate all the internal gas taps inside the van i.e. could shut off the valves for the fridge, cooker, heater/boiler and external barbecue point.

Any advice appreciated.

Malcolm
Bessbus
Bessbus

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

LPG tank Empty Re: LPG tank

Post by roli Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:08 pm

I would have thought there would be an isolating valve in the system and common sense says it should be where you can get at it quickly. I wonder if there are any stickers on suggesting who may have installed it so could phone and ask if there was one and where it was
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bessbus Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Many thanks for reply. I had would be happier if the gas supply is isolated - the dealer was very good with explanations at the handover but he did not know the answer to thos query. If all else fails I may have to phone Autosleepers for an answer. There are no stickers to help me but the tank was fitted by Autossleepers and is a standard fit for this model of van. There are lots of advantages like cheaper gas, no gas bottles to change over and ability to obtain gas easily whilst abroad.
Bessbus
Bessbus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steles Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:52 pm

there are 2 valves
One is under the cover direct coupled to the supply from lpg tank, to access remove cover single thumb wheel.
Second and the one advised by AS is directly down stream from regulator.
There is also hose burst valve fitted to tank, will close in event of failure of hose.
steles
steles
steles

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by Bessbus Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Many thanks steles. I will investigate when I get a chance and try and ensure that I am able to isolate the supply when on the move. Hopefully the recommended valve close to the regulator is accessible without having to lie under the van

Malcolm
Bessbus
Bessbus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:22 pm

As an addition. Correct you have to lie under the van , remove the cover on the tank as above mentioned and then isolate the tank. My concern was travelling on Eurotunnel. I contacted Eurotunnel in respect that they insist that the tank be turned off , isolating the tank before travelling on the train. Because of its location , I had reservations about the guy who checks this before departure , would be willing to ensure that the valve was closed by lying on the ground and crawling under the van ( Sussex Duo)?.Eurotunnel confirmed that there would not be any problem. We are travelling in July, so watch this space !!!! Hope this helps.
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

LPG tank Empty LPG Tank Switch off.

Post by Brian6 Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:24 pm

We came back through the tunnel yesterday in our Sussex Duo. We switched off the supply in the cupboard under the sink (the three red knobs.) We were stopped by the Gas check man who came on board on both trips and was happy with what we had done. Those taps are the only ones we know of.
Brian6
Brian6

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by pjkxpjkx Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:19 pm

There is a valve on the tank operated by a wheel.
Under the nearside bed at the wardrobe end, there is a valve.
In the cupboard under the sink, there are three valves...

Pete
pjkxpjkx
pjkxpjkx

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by steles Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:42 am

It seems to me there is a very good reason to isolate from tank. Connection from Tank to Reg. is hose (not sure why, both Tank and Reg are secured to chassis.) The same tube as used for the rest of gas installation would be far safer. How many of us check the hose for tightness at connections? Bottled gas in a locker is accessable we always close the valve on bottle not so tank under the van. We lost a good 10 litres of gas whilst travelling home from Devon, the hose end nut on tank end had come loose.
Steles
steles
steles

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:38 am

No problem at Folkstone Eurotunnel . Tank was turned off by may self, and this was accepted by Eurotunnel. Job done!
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by pjkxpjkx Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 pm

This thread by nimbus shows how he change dthe hose to a proper Gaslow one...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pete
pjkxpjkx
pjkxpjkx

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by steles Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm

The question still remains the same. Why a hose????

There is no doubt the Gaslow hose is better but it has he same end fittings. I have discussed with Gas it the supplier of the tank and hose aand they cannot see why a hose is used. AS now fit a stainless hose!!! A tube as fitted to rest of system is the way to go (proper end fittings compression ends with no rubber seal to compress and eventually come loose and leak.)

Steles
steles
steles

Back to top Go down