The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas tank

4 posters

Go down

Gas tank Empty Gas tank

Post by Sapper Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:50 pm

It seems more and more people are finding it difficult to find garages who let you fill your on board tank with gas. I hear the Morrisons have banned all motorhome from using their pumps for gas re-fill.

If this should be true, would it be possible to somehow connect an external bottle to the system. From our point of view we have a 2020 WXL.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Gas tank Empty Re: Gas tank

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:24 pm

The Morrisons ban is old news  that was 2 or 3 years ago and refers to bottles that do not have a connection fixed on the van wall like a petrol filler.
It was to stop the filling of calor type bottles with adaptors available  off ebay.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:14 am

With a refillable bottle like a Gaslow, it certainly is possible to connect an external bottle to the filler point, Gaslow sell a proper adapt or hose for this very purpose....
It's useful when larger vans are in a long term site and don't want to move for LPG...just get a local bottle and stand it next to the van and connect up.
Now, whether this same principle applies to horizontal, underslung tank I couldn't say...perhaps some AS owners (especially larger coachbuilts) have used this technique.
Re the finding of LPG, check the well known apps like MyLPG, FillLPG and see if you can find somewhere on a usual route...say NORTH for all trips that way....it doesn't have to be in your doorstep, just one you pass regularly.
Good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:48 am

bolero boy wrote:With a refillable bottle like a Gaslow, it certainly is possible to connect an external bottle to the filler point, Gaslow sell a proper adapt or hose for this very purpose....
It's useful when larger vans are in a long term site and don't want to move for LPG...just get a local bottle and stand it next to the van and connect up.
Now, whether this same principle applies to horizontal, underslung tank I couldn't say...perhaps some AS owners (especially larger coachbuilts) have used this technique.

It does, apparently. We had a Forum thread on it a year or so ago. I recall Gromit suggesting that, before "reverse" connecting (i.e. a gas bottle to the BBQ point, to supply in inboard appliances) one should turn off the master valve at (or nearest to) the underslung tank. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:09 pm

I may not have made myself clear, I meant connecting from an external bottle directly to the normal pump filler point...not to a BBQ point or similar...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:14 pm

Sorry Chris, my misunderstanding. I was unaware of such an arrangement. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Myring Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:07 pm

I wouldn’t worry about it. There remain plenty of filling stations and there is an app to help locate them. You’ll end up finding one on your travels to refill, long before you run out. Pretty such the same as you do when filling your car with fuel.  
However, if you remain unconvinced and are after a Gaslow bottle, I have a new one, full of gas, never used for sale. We bought it for use in our previous Motorhome in the middle of last year but changed to a Kingham before it could be used.
Pete Myring
Pete Myring

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:30 pm

Whilst it might be 'handy' for long termers in larger MH to make use of an arrangement as described above, it's not easy to carry around an extra bottle with no dedicated locker...
A/S PVCs aren't blessed with much in the way of external storage and space/security for a decent sized bottle would be at a premium in a WXL.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:04 pm

Thanks for all the help and suggestions (great forum). and after all that I found a garage not that far from home which allows M/homes to fill up.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down