The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Underslung LPG tank.

+3
Bulletguy
roli
dogseal
7 posters

Go down

Underslung LPG tank. Empty Underslung LPG tank.

Post by dogseal Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi to all,
I've recently been looking at the possibility of fitting an underslung LPG tank to our van. Looking at Nimbus's usefull modifications post made me realise all the hassle of changing the gas bottles could be done away with..Plus points are we gain another cupboard for storage space, the gas is half the price of propane,& most of the conversions have a gauge to show the level of contents in the tank.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or this 25 litre

Pricey, but will save a lot of hassle & money in the long run. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Underslung LPG tank. Empty Re: Underslung LPG tank.

Post by roli Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 pm

I have just removed the 2 x 6 kg Calor Lights from our van which I recon full was 22/23 ltrs of LPG if swopping both at the same time would cost me a total of £42.00

I have fitted a GasIt 11kg Cylinder (80% cutoff) and filled it with AutoGas circa 21ltrs at a cost of £14.20 ---------- I rest my case

I chose GasIt on price they are similar cylinders to GasLow but have the conventional red colourcoded cylinders ( a safety feature ) and didnt cost as much as the Gaslows.
All in cost was £137 ish. I did originally think about Alugas but they were even dearer and again were not colour coded.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:12 am

Must admit the crazy price of Propane/Butane and even crazier price of Camping Gaz makes this a worthwhile consideration, especially if touring in Europe. The underslung kit has to be the way to go for Duetto owners where interior space is already at a premium. Be interesting to know if any Duetto owners have had one fitted.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 am

This thread may answer some questions ...

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi to all,
I've just spent the afternoon crawling around under the van to see if the 20 litre lpg tank would fit. I removed the rear step (4 bolts ) because the space in between the nearside leaf spring & the spare wheel cradle is physically big enough to house one, if the cradle was modified ( cut & rewelded ) .
A couple of phone calls to FES autogas Ltd & I found out that the aluminium cover that covers all the valving on the side of the tank sticks out another 90mm from the 200 mm diameter of the tank...so if it did fit, its going to be a tight fit!
I've decided to call in at their premises sometime soon so I can see if one will fit in the gap...If it will fit I'll have one. Bit of a gamble buying the kit for over £300 only to discover that it will not fit.

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:37 pm

I found them very helpfull Tim when I went to get sorted
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:02 pm

roli wrote:I found them very helpfull Tim when I went to get sorted

Cheers Roli,
They were very helpfull over the phone & when I next go over to Wales I'll call in..It will have to be on a weekday though because they dont open on saturday.

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Bulletguy wrote:........ even crazier price of Camping Gaz makes this a worthwhile consideration, especially if touring in Europe.

??????? All we were paying in Spain was £12 (€14.50) for a re-fill for Camping Gaz; it appears that "Rip-Off Britain" skews the calculations yet again!! allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Underslung LPG tank. Empty Underslung Gas Tank on a Sussex

Post by wetfoot001 Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:31 am

I'm investgating the feasibility of fitting a 'Gas It' underslung gas tank to our 2010 Sussex van conversion, of comparable capacity to the two supplied 6kg CalorGas bottles. Has anyone carried out this mod on a similar aged Sussex or Warwick? If so your advice would be appreciated. - Thanks
wetfoot001
wetfoot001

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex

Back to top Go down

Underslung LPG tank. Empty Gas Tank

Post by murph Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:55 am

Unless you intend to go to places where autgas is almost unobtainable and a large capacity tank is essential, or storage is critical and the gs locker is essential for storage why not use a 6 or 11 kg cylinder instead, much cheaper, to see a photo of my setup type supply of calor lite into the search box at the top of the page.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Underslung LPG tank. Empty Underslung Gas Tank on a Sussex

Post by wetfoot001 Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:28 am

Hi Murph,

Thanks for the advice.

I have considered a refillable cylinder in the locker, but am swayed towards an underslung option for the following reasons:-
The Sussex gas locker is miniscule, and only just squeezes in two lightweight 6kg Calor cylinders.
Access to cylinder and manifold valves is not easy, and may result in stressing hoses etc.
Overall storage in a van conversion is very limited, and with this in mind we could really do with freeing up the gas locker for a 'wet locker' for levellers, hook up lead and hosepipe.

Gas capacity could be reduced as we don't do that much wild camping at present, but if you are going for a more permanent (underslung) rather than transferrable (locker) option, it's probably best to max the capacity upfront.
Still mulling it over here...!

-Phil
wetfoot001
wetfoot001

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex

Back to top Go down