The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh Water Tank Removal

2 posters

Go down

Fresh Water Tank Removal Empty Fresh Water Tank Removal

Post by kevin hawkins Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Help wanted. Has anyone removed the fresh water tank on an Autosleepers campervan? Mine is a Ford Transit Frisky H reg but I would think the VW are the same. It is held to the body by two straps but one side is right up to the side of the body so you can't get at them to undo the nuts.
Kind regards
Kevin and Kath *-)
kevin hawkins
kevin hawkins

Back to top Go down

Fresh Water Tank Removal Empty Re: Fresh Water Tank Removal

Post by Bulletguy Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Yes.

My water tap needed replacing with a new one and on my year Duetto the tap is held in by a washer from the inside of the tank, so replacing the tap entails dropping the whole tank. Another brilliant A/S idea. I gave the job to a mechanic who does my MOT as i'm past crawling under vehicles now. As it turned out i'm glad I did too!

As you already know the tank is held under the body by two straps. Many MH's and Campers will go their entire life without need to drop the tank, so it's not unusual to find the nuts seized on the bolts....as mine had! This meant the bolts being cut just to get the straps free. Sensibly the mechanic has replaced mine using stainless steel nuts and bolts which will never rust (something which A/S should have done given the price at new of a Duetto) and of course they will always be easily undone. You see how I make life simple for the next owner should I ever sell my van?!!

If your bolts are inaccessible it may be worthwhile running your van into a Garage with a ramp and getting it up so you can get a better look at it. If they are as you say.....then you may well end up cutting the straps to drop the tank and have to make up replacement straps. Use stainless banding steel which is strong, flexible and of course won't rust.

Good luck!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down