The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter charging

+16
Admin
Peter Brown
rolandritchie
Pete Taylor
grumpy
-mojo-
inspiredron
Dutto
modelman
Flying High
matchlessman
Tommy-Darcy
deckie
Robbie
peugeotboxer
Wozzon
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Winter charging Empty Winter charging

Post by Wozzon Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Hello, I haven’t been on the forum for a while so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone reading this a 'Happy New Year'.
Can anyone please confirm the following: if I connect my Symbol ES to the mains with the 12v control panel switched off will the inbuilt battery charger also charge the vehicle battery?
Wozzon
Wozzon
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Winter charging Empty Re: Winter charging

Post by peugeotboxer Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Presumably you will have a 'charger' switch that needs to be 'on'

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Our Cotswold has a sargent unit for the electrics, the control panel does not have to be powered up. There however is a red rocker switch on the main sargent unit which can be toggled to either charge or not chrage the batteries.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:09 am

Wozzon wrote:Hello, I haven’t been on the forum for a while so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone reading this a 'Happy New Year'.
Can anyone please confirm the following: if I connect my Symbol ES to the mains with the 12v control panel switched off will the inbuilt battery charger also charge the vehicle battery?

And a Happy New Year to you too, Wozzon up!

Not sure about your Symbol ES, but our '97 Clubman's fitted Charger only does the Leisure Battery.

Regards,

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 am

On our 1996 Duetto you have to flick a switch in the cupboard under the cooker to switch the charger on smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Wozzon Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:23 pm

I've had a look at the charger unit in my van, it’s placed under the floor of the van inside a cupboard which is part of the cooker. The charger has a red LED toggle switch, which is usually continually left on. The reason for thinking that it charges leisure and vehicle battery is that the 12v control panel will show condition of leisure and vehicle battery. However, I don’t know how I can be sure. scratch head
Wozzon
Wozzon
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Wozzon,
Our Symbol ES only charges the leisure battery on EHU. I've played with the buttons on the control panel, but still no joy for the vehicle battery. The easy way to test is to put a voltmeter on the battery then switch on the hook up and see if the voltage rises. No such luck on mine. I've just invested in a 'battery to battery' charger so that the leaisure battery will keep the vehicle battery topped up. The leisure battery will be topped up by the hook up, or when parked on the drive a small solar panel.

matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Being new to this lark I have a small charger with a 13 amp plug one end which I plug in by the bed and a cigar socket male in the cigar lighter socket of the dash which keeps the van battery charged.
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Flying High wrote:Being new to this lark I have a small charger with a 13 amp plug one end which I plug in by the bed and a cigar socket male in the cigar lighter socket of the dash which keeps the van battery charged.

Now that's a good idea!

up!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Flying High wrote:Being new to this lark I have a small charger with a 13 amp plug one end which I plug in by the bed and a cigar socket male in the cigar lighter socket of the dash which keeps the van battery charged.

Is your cig-lighter socket 'live' all the time? Mine is only 'on' with the ign on, so the fag-lighter is dead with ign off.

Most vehicles are like this nowadays.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:56 pm

modelman wrote:

Is your cig-lighter socket 'live' all the time? Mine is only 'on' with the ign on, so the fag-lighter is dead with ign off.

Most vehicles are like this nowadays.

Obviously his is, as is mine.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi there,

My 1998 Ford Transit based Duetto is fitted with a 100% "live" cigar lighter socket. I presume similar aged vans will be the same. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Fair-enoughski smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Its quite handy to retro fit another accessory socket and wire it direct to the battery via a 5a fuse, comes in handy as a supply that,s always live and also as a charging socket.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Robbie wrote:Its quite handy to retro fit another accessory socket and wire it direct to the battery via a 5a fuse, comes in handy as a supply that,s always live and also as a charging socket.

Hi that's the best way to go, Winnie is live all the time courtesy , shame her radio disc player isn't, another job when it warms up a bit. Fancy fitting a unit that has to have the ignition on whilst camped. Must fit those reversing sensors and sort out the reversing lights. I bet the plug is off the gearbox after her newly installed clutch.
I thought it was easy owning a mobile home. happyno

Best regards Mike
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:28 pm

Robbie wrote:Our Cotswold has a sargent unit for the electrics, the control panel does not have to be powered up. There however is a red rocker switch on the main sargent unit which can be toggled to either charge or not chrage the batteries.
My Lancashire also has the Sargent charger and control panel. I agree with the above as far as it goes BUT- within the control panel you can choose which battery to use/charge, leisure or vehicle. You cannot charge both. I run a month or two with the red switch off (no charge) and then check the battery voltages followed by a couple of days of charging whichever battery needs it, if any.

Last edited by inspiredron on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)
inspiredron
inspiredron

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:37 pm

inspiredron wrote:
My Lancashire also has the Sargent charger and control panel. I agree with the above as far as it goes BUT- within the control panel you can choose which battery to use/charge, leisure or vehicle. You cannot charge both. I run a month or two with the red switch off (no charge) and then check the battery voltages followed by a couple of days of charging whichever battery needs it, if any.

Nicely explained :)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:14 am

inspiredron wrote:
Robbie wrote:Our Cotswold has a sargent unit for the electrics, the control panel does not have to be powered up. There however is a red rocker switch on the main sargent unit which can be toggled to either charge or not chrage the batteries.

I have 80w panels on the roof, & I fitted a Morningstar duo controller, this allows me to charge BOTH (3 actually) truck & leisure batteries, not only
that, but I can easily adjust the split-ratio, 10% to one & 90% to the other, or any combination, such as 50-50 etc.
Its also self monitoring, so if one drops, it automaticaly 'ups the anti' towards that one & reduces the others, cannot overcharge so all in all,
quite a good system & everything is ALWAYS fully topped up smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 am

inspiredron wrote:
My Lancashire also has the Sargent charger and control panel. I agree with the above as far as it goes BUT- within the control panel you can choose which battery to use/charge, leisure or vehicle. You cannot charge both.

I'm led to believe that while this is true of the mains charger on the current Sargent (type 328) controller, the built-in solar controller distributes solar charging across both batteries automatically, though it is not as sophisticated as Modelman's dedicated solar controller, in that it is demand-based so you cannot choose a split ratio that it must use.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 am

-mojo- wrote:
inspiredron wrote:
My Lancashire also has the Sargent charger and control panel. I agree with the above as far as it goes BUT- within the control panel you can choose which battery to use/charge, leisure or vehicle. You cannot charge both.

I'm led to believe that while this is true of the mains charger on the current Sargent (type 328) controller, the built-in solar controller distributes solar charging across both batteries automatically, though it is not as sophisticated as Modelman's dedicated solar controller, in that it is demand-based so you cannot choose a split ratio that it must use.

Interesting this as you learn something new every day thanks guys smile! I had previously though that the control box charged the leisure batteries and then the main battery if it needed some. I see this is not the case and that you have to select the vehicle battery on the control panel to get the relay in the unit to kick over onto the other battery and hence charge it.
I could be wrong here but if the relay basically the last component before the output to the batteries the solar panel will also only charge which ever battery the relay is selected to. That probably an AS or Sargent question.
We normally have our LCD control panel powered of when not in the van but this needs to be kept powered up if wanting to charge the vehicle battery, once its powered off the relay latches back to select the leisure batteries. lol noticed that when i went out to check the operation of ours this morning and turned it off hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Winter charging Empty battery

Post by grumpy Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Wozzon wrote:Hello, I haven’t been on the forum for a while so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone reading this a 'Happy New Year'.

Hi, Having recently come out to a flat starter battery on my 2011 dorset I did some circuit testing.
on mains hookup, switch on 12V and select leisure, this charges leisure battery.
select vehicle and this charges starter battery, the 12V circuit must be left on.
It has taken me 18 months to realise this but I now have 2 fully charged batteries.
Good luck and a happy new year.

grumpy
grumpy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : dorset

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Robbie wrote:
-mojo- wrote:
inspiredron wrote:

Interesting this as you learn something new every day thanks guys smile! I had previously though that the control box charged the leisure batteries and then the main battery if it needed some. I see this is not the case and that you have to select the vehicle battery on the control panel to get the relay in the unit to kick over onto the other battery and hence charge it.
I could be wrong here but if the relay basically the last component before the output to the batteries the solar panel will also only charge which ever battery the relay is selected to. That probably an AS or Sargent question.
We normally have our LCD control panel powered of when not in the van but this needs to be kept powered up if wanting to charge the vehicle battery, once its powered off the relay latches back to select the leisure batteries. lol noticed that when i went out to check the operation of ours this morning and turned it off hugegrins

AH! I was not sure about that. I had played with the Sargent a few weeks ago but did not twig that it had to be left on to charge the vehicle battery. I will look and if necessary contact Sargent - they are quite helpful - or were when I asked about the jumpers in the box behind the driver's seat that control the outside light and the step operation when the van is locked and unlocked.
inspiredron
inspiredron

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Wozzon Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Had another look at the charging system on my Symbol today, started with the instruction manual (always a good place to start, not that I always do)! Anyway, in the manual it stated that the charger will charge the vehicle battery as well as the habitation battery. The way to do this according to the operating instructions for the MES control unit is, when the control panel has been put into charge habitation mode, press the center button on the control panel. The back light will change from green to red and charge vehicle will come up on screen. When I did this the battery charger makes some noises and then I guess the vehicle battery is being charged. I started the vehicle today after charging vehicle battery from on board charger and after five weeks of standing idle there was no hesitation in battery power whatsoever. In the past when I have started after five weeks the battery has sounded slightly laboured, although the engine starts fairly quickly.

Wozzon
Wozzon
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wozzon Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Just seen Grumpys post after writing the above. Its taken me 14 months to learn this, but never mind we both know now! up!
Wozzon
Wozzon
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Robbie wrote:
-mojo- wrote:
inspiredron wrote:

It surprises me a bit about the solar charging both batteries, irrespective of which battery is selected for mains charging. I was basing this purely on what it says in the Sargent 328 User Manual, which ~appears~ completely unequivocal on the subject (but may nevertheless be unequivocally wrong!):

"The EC328PSU incorporates a built-in dual channel Solar Regulator that allows the direct connection
of a 20 to 120W solar panel without the need for additional components. The dual regulator charges
both the vehicle and leisure batteries simultaneously and connects to the PSU via a dedicated
connector on the base of the unit."

-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next