The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trickle Charging Batteries over winter

3 posters

Go down

Trickle Charging Batteries over winter Empty Trickle Charging Batteries over winter

Post by JollyMack Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:24 am

Hi, sorry if silly questions but new to camper vans, and this is our first winter where van will be standing not used for couple of months.  

If I plug van into mains will this also trickle charge the engine battery as well as leisure battery?
Or should I trickle charge the engine battery direct?

How long and often should I plug van into electric over the winter?

Regards
Pete
JollyMack
JollyMack

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Trickle Charging Batteries over winter Empty Re: Trickle Charging Batteries over winter

Post by Slaphead Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:11 am

Hi Pete. on a van your age, unless it has been fitted with an after market  "battery master", it will not charge the vehicle battery.

Lots of differing views by members on leaving the vehicle plugged into the mains over the winter.  I personally leave mine plugged in the full winter with a low voltage oil filled radiator on a low setting and a dehumidifer also in constant use.  I switch on the battery charger for two or three days to top up the battery then switch off the charger for a couple of weeks.  I am fortunate to have room at home and an outside proper motohome electric point and generally look in on the van every three or four days.  I also have to be allert for mice as I live in the country.

Others, particularly if van is in storage, use a timer to cycle the charger on/off.  Others use a separate smart charger that uses a float charge when the battery is fully charged.

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Trickle Charging Batteries over winter Empty Re: Trickle Charging Batteries over winter

Post by JollyMack Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi Dave, ours is on drive so have easy access, so will have a look at your recommendations. Thank you
JollyMack
JollyMack

Male

Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:17 pm

To add to what Mr. Slaphead said, the mains charger (if original) on a Trooper of that age will not be very sophisticated, so it's not advisable to use it for long-term trickle charging.

I personally would go with his last suggestion - a good smart charger that you alternate between engine and leisure battery.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down