The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter charging

+16
Admin
Peter Brown
rolandritchie
Pete Taylor
grumpy
-mojo-
inspiredron
Dutto
modelman
Flying High
matchlessman
Tommy-Darcy
deckie
Robbie
peugeotboxer
Wozzon
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Winter charging - Page 2 Empty Re: Winter charging

Post by Robbie Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:26 pm

The Solar does have its own dedicated connector on the base of the unit, I seen that the other day. It may well charge both batteries at once as well, I just wondered how it does that if you have to select either vehicle battery or leisure battery in the control panel to get a particular one to charge on mains.
All good interesting stuff, our vehicle and leisure batteries are both healthy after today lol

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi agai folks,
Winnie courtesy is quite old 2000 so I don't have this facility, do I?

Best regards Mike
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Flying High wrote:Winnie courtesy is quite old 2000 so I don't have this facility, do I?

What, integrated solar controller? No, don't think so - only came in with the EC328 AFAIK. But stand-alone controllers aren't too expensive anyway.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Robbie wrote:The Solar does have its own dedicated connector on the base of the unit, I seen that the other day. It may well charge both batteries at once as well, I just wondered how it does that if you have to select either vehicle battery or leisure battery in the control panel to get a particular one to charge on mains.

The good thing is that - if the manual is correct - it means that if you are on EHU and have the mains charger on one battery, the solar panel will almost certainly be putting all of its output into the other battery, because that one will have a much lower terminal voltage and so will be seen as having most "demand".

But then again, if the manual is incorrect I would not be massively surprised...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Robbie wrote:The Solar does have its own dedicated connector on the base of the unit, I seen that the other day. It may well charge both batteries at once as well, I just wondered how it does that if you have to select either vehicle battery or leisure battery in the control panel to get a particular one to charge on mains.

The good thing is that - if the manual is correct - it means that if you are on EHU and have the mains charger on one battery, the solar panel will almost certainly be putting all of its output into the other battery, because that one will have a much lower terminal voltage and so will be seen as having most "demand".

But then again, if the manual is incorrect I would not be massively surprised...

One thing I have noticed with the sargent unit is that there is no way to see if the solar panel is actually working or how many amps it is putting into the batteries

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:49 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Flying High wrote:Winnie courtesy is quite old 2000 so I don't have this facility, do I?

What, integrated solar controller? No, don't think so - only came in with the EC328 AFAIK. But stand-alone controllers aren't too expensive anyway.

That's ok then, spent too much on Winnie courtesy anyway and I have a secondary backup battery.

Best regards, Mike
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 pm

A-S manuals, eh? scratch head
I've been in contact with A-S today about what the manual says about battery charging for our 2007 Topaz: it tells me that charging of both batteries by the Inter-Power charger is "fully automatic once (the unit is) switched on". No indication of how/where to switch it on: it just tells you to connect mains cable, switch on RCD and MCB and then "switch on the Inter-Power".

When I sent my first e-mail to them yesterday I had not located the charger (I later found it under a cover under the bench seat), this morning A-S told me it was located in the shower compartment, either under the wardrobe or "under the base panel in the small locker opposite" (behind the toilet?). confused0

They said that I had to switch the charger on, using the switch on the unit, (there isn't one... and lifting the bench seat and unscrewing the cover each time would not really be sensible design feature, would it!) they I said I had to chose between charging the Habitation or vehicle battery, using the 3-position rocker switch on the overhead control unit, adding "Im afraid that I don’t know the reasons that the manual refers to “automatic charging as this is clearly not the case". So I still don't really know what I have to do to keep both batteries topped up when I plug in.

The only previous time I contacted A-S was during my search for the water pump- they told me it had been fitted in a number of places on the 2007 Topaz! There was no clue to the location in the hand-book but it gave the impression that it was easy to service. Eventually I found it behind the wash-room wall, not exactly handy for cleaning/removing the filter and pipes for Winterising!

A-S ownership is going to be something of a voyage of technical discovery, I think! read

Cheers,
Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Robbie wrote:
-mojo- wrote:

One thing I have noticed with the sargent unit is that there is no way to see if the solar panel is actually working or how many amps it is putting into the batteries

I checked the on line Sargent manual (available at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) and then spoke to the technical guy at Sargent with specific reference to the EC328. He tells me (without any hesitation but after asking me the make of van):

1: To charge the vehicle battery the control unit MUST BE ON - ie van 12V electrics will be powered up. If the control unit is switched off then the charger defaults back to charging the leisure battery.

2: A solar panel will split its output equally between the two batteries irrespective of whether one is being charged from the mains! The solar panel will only charge the batteries if the CONTROL UNIT IS SWITCHED ON!

I find both these answers very disappointing because I don't regard it as good practice to leave van electrics on while the van is laid up. Intuitively it seems to contradict the automatic switching off of habitation electrics when the engine is started.

I will use an independent charger to keep the vehicle battery in good condition. Luckily LIDL have their intelligent CTEK type chargers at present at £13.99.
inspiredron
inspiredron

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:21 pm

inspiredron wrote:
I checked the on line Sargent manual (available at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) and then spoke to the technical guy at Sargent with specific reference to the EC328. He tells me (without any hesitation but after asking me the make of van):

1: To charge the vehicle battery the control unit MUST BE ON - ie van 12V electrics will be powered up. If the control unit is switched off then the charger defaults back to charging the leisure battery.

2: A solar panel will split its output equally between the two batteries irrespective of whether one is being charged from the mains! The solar panel will only charge the batteries if the CONTROL UNIT IS SWITCHED ON!

I find both these answers very disappointing because I don't regard it as good practice to leave van electrics on while the van is laid up. Intuitively it seems to contradict the automatic switching off of habitation electrics when the engine is started.

I will use an independent charger to keep the vehicle battery in good condition. Luckily LIDL have their intelligent CTEK type chargers at present at £13.99.

Thankyou for getting in contact with sergant, I am astounded that the solar panel will only charge when the control panel is powered up thats just bad design IMHO as thats when most of us want solar to keep the batteries topped up.
I had thought about getting a seperate solar controller as it will show the charging rate etc but said to myself we dont really need it, with this new information I think I will have to re evaluate the situation. Then its trying to figure out what is the best type of regulator to get.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:26 pm

inspiredron wrote:
2: A solar panel will split its output equally between the two batteries irrespective of whether one is being charged from the mains!

Thanks for contacting Sargent on this, and relaying back the responses.

I have to say though that I have no confidence in their reply on this. When one battery is charging it will have a terminal voltage of perhaps 14V, while the other (non-charging) one will be at maybe 12.5V. Any normal design of split load charger will put more current into the battery with the lower voltage. You would have to create a very complex design to force it to split its output equally in those circumstances, and it would be pointless to create such a complex piece of circuitry.

So I hear what Sargent say... but I don't believe it.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Winter charging - Page 2 Empty Winter charging

Post by rolandritchie Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:52 pm

I think it only charges the leisure battery. I remove both batteries during winter and give them a periodic trickle charge. I'm told this prolongs the life of the battery.
rolandritchie
rolandritchie

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Winter charging - Page 2 Empty Two parrallel Threads

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:01 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This topic seems to be running in two places. PLease see comment on my experience via the link above.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Winter charging - Page 2 Empty Three parallel threads!

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm

And then there were three.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 am

Pete Taylor wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh dear! Can the moderators please look to see which thread should continue and close the others but retaining links to the continuing thread?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:41 am

inspiredron wrote:
Pete Taylor wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh dear! Can the moderators please look to see which thread should continue and close the others but retaining links to the continuing thread?

Hello Ron

Will take a look later when I have more time and then decide what to do.

Regards

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Winter charging - Page 2 Empty Three Parrallel Threads.

Post by whisky Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 am

Hi Ron. Pete And Peter.

These treads started off marginally different. With a slightly different question being asked. However as this seems to be a seasonal subject the threads would have appeared to have merged into one. The problem would have been how to delete or stop the individual threads and if it would seem to be fair as to which one to stop. Threads do often repeat themselves on any forum as you have noticed. But not allways at the same time. All threads have a limited life span so to speak then crop up again at a later date when new people join the forum and ask the question again. By then with luck we will have a new bunch of experts to give their replies.

Hope this explains why I did not intervene with these threads.
Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:46 am

I braved the snow today and checked the charging. Cannot comment on solar but it is definite that panel must be switched on for vehicle battery to be charged. I switched panel on, vehicle battery was at 12.0v good. When I switched to vehicle battery that went to around 14v. As soon as I switched control unit off that voltage fell to around 12v and leisure battery went up to 14v.
I took the cover off the battery compartment and there is just about enough space for a Lidl charger - but it's tight. Also it is not easy to get mains to there. It is so tucked away that you would not want to connect and disconnect.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:26 pm

matchlessman wrote:Wozzon,
Our Symbol ES only charges the leisure battery on EHU. I've played with the buttons on the control panel, but still no joy for the vehicle battery. The easy way to test is to put a voltmeter on the battery then switch on the hook up and see if the voltage rises. No such luck on mine. I've just invested in a 'battery to battery' charger so that the leaisure battery will keep the vehicle battery topped up. The leisure battery will be topped up by the hook up, or when parked on the drive a small solar panel.

Upadate; My van (61 plate Symbol ES) does now charge the vehicle battery on hook up if the control panel is switched over.. Fuse had gone.... Caused by the 'Technician' in the dealer who installed the Solar Panel Regulator wiring it wrongly. Doh!!

The battery to battery charger is working well though and everything is now wired how it should be.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonny_80 Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Does anyone know how this is likely to be set up on a 1997 Duetto. I know the lesure battery is charged on hook up, there is a light which comes on to indicate this - but not sure about the vehicle battery?
Thanks
Jonny
Jonny_80
Jonny_80

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Have a look at this thread started today, I'm sure you will see the answer..

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Paulmold wrote:Have a look at this thread started today, I'm sure you will see the answer..

Woohoo im being cross post quoted hugegrins
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2