The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for Newbie

+5
Teresa Cambell
Minniesmum
-mojo-
Dutto
rhubarb93
9 posters

Go down

Advice for Newbie Empty Advice for Newbie

Post by rhubarb93 Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:18 am

Does anyone live at all near me, in Surrey (New Malden, near Kingston)?
I've just bought an Autosleeper Trooper. To be honest, as well as excited, I am also feeling a bit nervous. I'm a complete newbie to this, and I bought privately, not from a dealer. I thought all the electrics, gas etc would all be really simple to use, but I've got a huge folder of manuals for all the kit, and don't know where to start getting to grips with it all. think_smiley_46
If any kind member felt like giving me a guided tour of my new toy, I'd really appreciate it! drinksallround

rhubarb93
rhubarb93

Female

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Advice for Newbie Empty Re: Advice for Newbie

Post by Dutto Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:42 am

Hi there,

It really is a great feeling; excitement and a tinge of fear!

The stacks of Manual's are most often there for when you have a problem. You are lucky to have them so treasure them and keep them nice and safe.

In the meantime, before some gallant knight in shining armour comes to your rescue, I suggest that you sit in the van and read the Manuals one-by-one as you go through everything.

Use a notebook as you go as the exercise serves two purposes:

1. It familiarises you with what you have in the van (and you will be surprised at how much you will pick up, and how much you already know, as you wade through them).

2. Take notes a) For things you don't know and need advice on. and b) For things that you must NEVER forget to do before setting off.

You may then find that the list of things you need advice on are so small that a Post on the Forum will get you all the help you need.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Agreed, you are very lucky that the manuals have come with the van - many secondhand buyers aren't so lucky.

There's no need to be nervous - just pick off each part steadily and you'll find that mostly they are straightforward to use.

And as Dutto says, lists are invaluable. I have one for all essential "before leaving site" jobs, and haven't ~yet~ driven off with the mains hookup lead still connected!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:48 am

I feel your pain/fear with being a Newbie to the Motorhome world ! I had a Fiat Doblo previously which had no facilities...I also bought privately and there were a few issues to tackle within the first month or so.. I've just learned by using.....also if you had a habitation check done which I see you did, they should be able and willing to explain how everything works. The guy at Teeside Caravans who did mine is a true gem in that respect. up! Once you have got everything sorted and working , you will hopefully love your new van as much as I love mine. smile!
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by rhubarb93 Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Minniesmum.
Yes, the hab check guy was great and did talk me through it all (allbeit rather quickly as he is so familiar with it). I've spent many hours over the last couple of weeks tidying things up ( I think the previous folk let the kids run wild in there - there were things like drop-down flaps pulled off hinges etc etc) but am getting there. Went out for our first spin on Sunday - was really nice at the end of a walk to be able to brew up and not queue at a drinks kiosk.
Onwards and upwards. Am really looking forward to next spring, now!
rhubarb93
rhubarb93

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:12 pm

rhubarb93 wrote:Thanks for the encouragement, Minniesmum.
Yes, the hab check guy was great and did talk me through it all (allbeit rather quickly as he is so familiar with it). I've spent many hours over the last couple of weeks tidying things up ( I think the previous folk let the kids run wild in there - there were things like drop-down flaps pulled off hinges etc etc) but am getting there. Went out for our first spin on Sunday - was really nice at the end of a walk to be able to brew up and not queue at a drinks kiosk.
Onwards and upwards. Am really looking forward to next spring, now!

Why are you waiting til Spring ??! winks

Female

Back to top Go down

Advice for Newbie Empty Hi Newbie

Post by Teresa Cambell Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 pm

I know exactly how you feel, financially its a big decision and scary, but you won't regret it. And if you do, you'll sell it easily. But chill, when you're actually using it, everything make sense and is relatively straight forward. I bought mine privately too, I don't have a guy in my life to sort technical things so that's very scary, but I just have to put money away to allow for garage and body work repairs, a small price to pay for the pleasure I anticipate next year! I bought mine in September and it's now hibernating til April. Happy travels ! Teresa

Female

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by rhubarb93 Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 am

Minniesmum wrote:

Why are you waiting til Spring ??! winks

Don't want to put hubby off by having a first experience that is cold and miserable - nothing to do with me! (Where's the Pinocchio smiley?)
Theresa - I don't mind being a softy along with you. Happy to wait for some nicer weather (though I will admit to being impatient for it). Having a guy around doesn't necessarily mean I have someone to sort techy stuff - that's my role in our house! scratch head
rhubarb93
rhubarb93

Female

Back to top Go down

Advice for Newbie Empty Hi

Post by Teresa Cambell Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:42 am

Hi
The answer is simple to that one... money.
At the moment I can't afford to run her 12 months of the year as well as run my car, house, business etc...
Also, cold shower blocks, walking across wet grass and mud doesn't do it for me, I love the sunshine :) I will probably get her out in March, but logically, running her and taxing her April-September is best for me right now. I'm a single woman, no man to contribute - can be tough.
up!
Teresa

Female

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Teresa,

You may have seen in other posts here that those of us who have had vans for a long time are very wary about "laying up" a van over the winter - in some cases the saving in tax is more than offset by other costs.

For example I bought two vans in succession that had sat unused for a while, and I found that I had to replace all the tyres, a battery, an exhaust (the owner ran the van every week, but that doesn't get the exhaust hot enough so it corroded badly) and the front discs and brake calipers (the discs were badly pitted and the calipers seized up).

So mine stays in use through winter, going out on a longish run once a week unless conditions are really bad, and hasn't (touch wood) thrown up any major problems in the 6 years I've owned it.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm single too. My incentive to use my motorhome all year round is that as I don't have a private drive, I have to keep it taxed and insured 24/7. So as its costing me for that, why not use it ? up!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Meant to add its parked on a public road outside my street house so therefore has to be taxed and insured 24/7. Debating getting rid of my car as use the motorhome more.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:54 pm

They may be slightly slower and a bit more thirsty than a car, but I enjoy driving a van as an everyday car - you're high enough to get a better view of the road than most cars, and people often give way to a bigger vehicle. When I bought mine I did a rough spreadsheet calculation to see if having something like a Smart car as a second vehicle made sense financially, but when you include servicing and depreciation it simply did not cost in.

But I can understand if you need a car for business it could look a bit odd if you turn up for a customer meeting in a camper van (though I have done it a few times myself)!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rhubarb93 Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:23 pm

-mojo- wrote:

You may have seen in other posts here that those of us who have had vans for a long time are very wary about "laying up" a van over the winter - in some cases the saving in tax is more than offset by other costs.

For example I bought two vans in succession that had sat unused for a while, and I found that I had to replace all the tyres, a battery, an exhaust (the owner ran the van every week, but that doesn't get the exhaust hot enough so it corroded badly) and the front discs and brake calipers (the discs were badly pitted and the calipers seized up).

So mine stays in use through winter, going out on a longish run once a week unless conditions are really bad, and hasn't (touch wood) thrown up any major problems in the 6 years I've owned it.

Interesting point! Until recently I owned a horsebox which didn't get used much in the winter. Had the break calipers seize on that last year, and had to replace the battery the year before.
So thanks for the salutary warning, Mojo. I'll make sure it goes out for regular runs through the winter. Just don't fancy an overnight quite yet!
rhubarb93
rhubarb93

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gj1023 Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Minniesmum wrote:Meant to add its parked on a public road outside my street house so therefore has to be taxed and insured 24/7. Debating getting rid of my car as use the motorhome more.

I maybe think getting rid of the car would be a good idea, I got rid of my low profile and car and bought my Symbol. Now I only have one insurance and running it as a only vehicle, has not been a problem, as it goes anywhere "white van man goes". The other plus point is you can have a cuppa wherever you park, lol

Gary
gj1023
gj1023

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:37 pm

rhubarb93 wrote:
-mojo- wrote:

Interesting point! Until recently I owned a horsebox which didn't get used much in the winter. Had the break calipers seize on that last year, and had to replace the battery the year before.
So thanks for the salutary warning, Mojo. I'll make sure it goes out for regular runs through the winter. Just don't fancy an overnight quite yet!

Presactly up! Any vehicle left for a period of time can seize up. My other van a Doblo after 2 weeks of non-use- has sticky brakes etc. I bought my Symphony to use it not to let it sit unloved out on the road. I travelled all year round in the Doblo so why not in something a lot more comfortable ??!! smile!

Female

Back to top Go down

Advice for Newbie Empty Over winter

Post by murph Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 am

Hi Rhubarb,
Try an overnight outside the house, if you dont like it you can always go back to your usual bed.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by rhubarb93 Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 pm

That could be fun! I'm sure my daughter would enjoy it. Thanks, Brian
rhubarb93
rhubarb93

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Vardy Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:11 pm

I can vividly remember all the things that went wrong when I first got the van - some stuff was beyond belief. The whole shebang was running on an old car battery, the gas rubber piping was dangerous and obsolete and the van bust a drive shaft on Saturday morning on the market cross roads in the middle of the tram gate. This was from a dealer!

The above is a tiny sample of the adventures ( + tipped up in a farmer's field/pond 45degrees in the pitch dark all night - clinging onto sloping mattress until rescue in morning).

You could'nt make it up. I'm not technical and had lots of help from other owners. Some of my questions I'm sure were nuts! So if you want to PM me with the small stuff I happy to help. I'm in Sheffield (grew up in Surrey) - so it will have to be a virtual kettle!
Vardy
Vardy

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by rhubarb93 Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks, Vardy, kind of you.
Have done other things with steep learning curves, so am prepared for asking lots of questions and having an "interesting" time.
rhubarb93
rhubarb93

Female

Back to top Go down

Advice for Newbie Empty make the bed

Post by shelldrake Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:12 pm

IF you haven't gotten round to sleeping in the van yet may I suggest you try (1) storing the bedding THEN (2) making up the bed (3) unmaking and packing the bedding away again. May sound stupid but practise makes perfect
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sigma

Back to top Go down