The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing Roof Vent

4 posters

Go down

Replacing Roof Vent Empty Replacing Roof Vent

Post by rattleman Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:53 am

We have a 1990 Talbot Express Auto-Sleeper Harmony that was originally bought in 1990  - H Reg.

We need to replace our roof vent over the kitchenette. The measurements from the inside of the unit measures 450mm x 450mm in total / the internal opening in the unit measures 370mm x 370mm. On looking around I see that the only MPK unit that would come close is the 400mm x 400mm. Can anyone tell me if the sizing changed between the 1990 installation and this later / current sizing ...or would the 400 x 400 fit as that is the aperture size once the unit is removed?

Alternatively if anyone can suggest a breakers that may be able to help? Caravan breakers.net could not help us but there must be others we could contact?

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by rattleman on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed 'roof light ' to 'roof vent' to clarify)
rattleman
rattleman

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Talbot Harmony Expre

Back to top Go down

Replacing Roof Vent Empty Re: Replacing Roof Vent

Post by NORGIL Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:57 am

Have a look on ebay, there is a guy breaking 4 alledged AS vans around that age.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck.

Norman
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:10 pm

I replaced the domes on a 1995 Exec with new ones and found only minor changes to the design which involved filing a piece out of the brown plastic handle to enable it to latch properly.

I personally wouldn't bother with breaker parts, as the older domes had a heat deformed fitting to attach the handle mountings to the dome, which broke up and leaked the water trapped exactly where the seal was.
The later domes have a moulded fitting rather than an attached one, so more leakproof IMHO.

New domes aren't that expensive, in fact here's one that you can have if you send a courier to pick it up.
I replaced it with a Mini Heki on our new Exec a few months ago.
The pictures show the underside (with already modified handles)

Replacing Roof Vent 125gs9i

and the top with later/leakproof attachment moulding.

Replacing Roof Vent Jq032x
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by rattleman Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:51 pm

Would prefer to replace with new but think the aperture size may have changed - my current roof vent measures 370 x 370 internal opening space and 450 x 450 overall from inside...think the only available ones that come close are the 400 x 400 MPK types - I don't know if this will fit?
rattleman
rattleman

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Talbot Harmony Expre

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:21 pm

think_smiley_46 I replaced the roof vent in the bathroom and the one above the kitchen on my 95 Duetto. I bought mine from Magnum Motorhomes. They have a selection of sizes and the sealing tape. Not too bad a job and it was I did not have to climb on the roof to fit the  the larger one. I think there are threads on the forum about changing them.
The bigger one was not too heavy to be posted to you.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:07 pm

rattleman wrote:Would prefer to replace with new but think the aperture size may have changed - my current roof vent measures 370 x 370 internal opening space and 450 x 450 overall from inside...think the only available ones that come close are the 400 x 400 MPK types - I don't know if this will fit?

I'm pretty sure that they haven't changed, they were always 400x400 AFAIK

If you want to check the actual aperture size then just remove the screws holding the bottom half of the original vent and you'll be able to measure the roof opening.

The one in the picture is new, but then I replaced it after a few months with the Heki at the front to reduce wind noise.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down