The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used High Top Diesel Engine Recommendation

+4
kernow jon
Bartfarst
-mojo-
shirelets
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Used High Top Diesel Engine Recommendation - Page 2 Empty Re: Used High Top Diesel Engine Recommendation

Post by Dutto Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:32 am

dandywarhol wrote:....................
Just for information Mojo, coasting up to the traffic lights (or coasting downhill) actually uses fuel on modern diesels, because the engine is still running - when you lift off the throttle the fuel cuts (doesn't need fuel then) until you reach just abouve idle speed and it cuts back in again. smile!

I agree. allthumbz

Plus, you should never be out of gear because you are losing one of the "control elements"! wave

I actually heard of one bright spark that used to turn off the ignition and freewheel down long hills. tap_fingers

This was really successful; until he bought a van with a steering lock on the ignition and finished up in a ditch!! look here look here

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Used High Top Diesel Engine Recommendation - Page 2 Empty Re: Used High Top Diesel Engine Recommendation

Post by -mojo- Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:29 pm

dandywarhol wrote:
Just for information Mojo, coasting up to the traffic lights (or coasting downhill) actually uses fuel on modern diesels, because the engine is still running - when you lift off the throttle the fuel cuts (doesn't need fuel then) until you reach just abouve idle speed and it cuts back in again. smile!

Ah Ok - I didn't immediately realise what you meant!

By "coasting" I don't meaning taking it out of gear, just going completely off-throttle - and you're right that this causes the ECU in my van to cut the fuel supply, though only if the initial speed is above 30mph. I'd guess that this is to elimiinate the chance of stalling at lower road speeds.

And I agree entirely Ian - I never allow the van to coast out of gear.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2