The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

space for a second leisure battery..

+13
busby65
mikemelson
modelman
Tommy-Darcy
sapper997
Pug boxter
-mojo-
Paulmold
murph
matchlessman
ubuntu1
boxerman
Minniesmum
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

space for a second leisure battery.. Empty space for a second leisure battery..

Post by Minniesmum Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:52 pm

It was suggested to me by my local caravan supply shop,that having a second 75 amp battery wired in series would be an alternative to a larger capacity replacement which wouldn't fit in the compartment under the drivers seat in my Symphony. I've just looked and the second battery would need to sit on the floor in front of t'other and obviously fixed in position so as not to move about. However that puts it just behind my legs. Has anyone tried this ? I don't want to place it under the passenger seat as that would involve running cables under the floor between the 2 seats. Ideas ??

Female

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

space for a second leisure battery.. Empty Re: space for a second leisure battery..

Post by boxerman Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:09 pm

I don't think having it on the floor behind your legs is a good idea.
Without going to my van and messing about with a tape measure, this is just a guess (I'll let you mess about with the tape measure smile! )
Would you have room for two batteries if you turned it /them though 90 degrees and had them North/South rather than East/West?
Failing that, what do you store in the under settee locker behind the driving seat? How about putting a battery box in there? (vented of course)

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

space for a second leisure battery.. Empty Re: space for a second leisure battery..

Post by Minniesmum Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:15 pm

In the compartment under the settee behind the drivers seat is a good idea. All I have in there atm is my electrical hook-up cable under the wire basket. The wire basket holds my clothes. Tape measure out methinks ;)

Female

Back to top Go down

space for a second leisure battery.. Empty 2nd battery

Post by ubuntu1 Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:26 pm

It maybe a typo but putting two batteries in series will give you 24 volts and cause serious damage to your m/h electrics.

If you intend to have two batteries in parallel then you must take care. There will be a lot of power passing through the cables especially from the alternator. You need very thick cable to cope with the power and to ensure that the cables don't become hot and also to reduce voltage drop. The batteries need to be as close together as you can get them and preferably the same type and age.

if in doubt seek professional help.
ubuntu1
ubuntu1

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:51 pm

And don't forget the fuse..
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

space for a second leisure battery.. Empty second battery

Post by murph Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi Minniesum,
What is wrong with under the pasenger seat, that is where ours is, with heavy guage wire down through the floor and back up under the passenger seat.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Minniesmum wrote: I don't want to place it under the passenger seat as that would involve running cables under the floor between the 2 seats. Ideas ??

Don't you have a safe under the passenger seat on your Symphony?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:56 am

ubuntu1 wrote:It maybe a typo but putting two batteries in series will give you 24 volts and cause serious damage to your m/h electrics.

If you intend to have two batteries in parallel then you must take care. There will be a lot of power passing through the cables especially from the alternator. You need very thick cable to cope with the power and to ensure that the cables don't become hot and also to reduce voltage drop. The batteries need to be as close together as you can get them and preferably the same type and age.

if in doubt seek professional help.

Totally agree. You need to put the two batteries (in parallel), close together, for the very good reasons stated above. If you can't do that then get the largest (amps) battery you can get to fit within the existing battery space.
These people provide an excellent service [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I'm taking my van over to my very reputable Caravan supply shop this morning to see what can be done. The battery I have now is a 75 and is a snug fit- no chance of replacing it with something bigger in situ. I believe the only option is to add a second 75 and wire it up under the passenger seat, but the batteries would then not be close together. Not sure who I'd get to do that as I have no knowledge of electrics so that's unlikely to happen. Will see what the guys at the shop say.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:36 am

murph wrote: Hi Minniesum,
What is wrong with under the pasenger seat, that is where ours is, with heavy guage wire down through the floor and back up under the passenger seat.

Brian2

Seems logical but as I have no knowledge of electrics I wouldn't be able to do this mod myself and not sure who I could get to do it.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:58 am

The problem with the passenger seat location is, as Paul says, the safe. The door is not big enough to get a battery in and out of and I suspect that it would take quite a bit of work to modify the passenger seat box to make it suitable to take a battery.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:03 am

boxerman wrote:The problem with the passenger seat location is, as Paul says, the safe. The door is not big enough to get a battery in and out of and I suspect that it would take quite a bit of work to modify the passenger seat box to make it suitable to take a battery.

Frank

Thanks Frank I suspected as much having had a quick look this morning. up! The newer and coachbuilts tend to have more space . Will get the shop to check things out later this morning but I suspect I'll be sticking with what I have. I have a Honda generator which I bought for my Doblo as they had no leisure battery ,so think I'll just carry that when I intend to wildcamp and use it for power and a leisure battery top-up smile!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:09 am

If you end up leaving things as they are then perhaps solar panel could help. You dont have to have a roof mounted one, perhaps a folding portable one.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:47 pm

If the next best option is a portable generator, it's worth pointing out that you already have a portable generator with you - the van's alternator!

Yes, I know the van engine is not ~optimised~ for use as a generator and will be less efficient than the Honda, but it doesn't take up extra space and weight, and I suspect that the noise level of your van engine idling for 20 minutes will probably be more acceptable to those around you (though if you're somewhere ~really~ wild that probably isn't a factor).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 pm

-mojo- wrote:If the next best option is a portable generator, it's worth pointing out that you already have a portable generator with you - the van's alternator!

Yes, I know the van engine is not ~optimised~ for use as a generator and will be less efficient than the Honda, but it doesn't take up extra space and weight, and I suspect that the noise level of your van engine idling for 20 minutes will probably be more acceptable to those around you (though if you're somewhere ~really~ wild that probably isn't a factor).

I don't use my Honda generator on campsites or near enough to anyone to annoy them. As a second or bigger leisure battery is not possible in my van layout, I shall carry the generator with me when I intend to wild-camp for any length of time. smile!

Female

Back to top Go down

space for a second leisure battery.. Empty Two Batteries

Post by Pug boxter Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Here's my set-up based on two 113 ah batteries like these [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Front view of drivers side battery
space for a second leisure battery.. Battery001

Rear view of drivers side battery
space for a second leisure battery.. Battery002

Rear view of passenger side battery
space for a second leisure battery.. Battery003

Pug boxter
Pug boxter

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Thanks for your input. As I've discovered, there is no space in my Symphony for either a second battery or a larger one so am sticking with the 75 amp one that I have - possibly replacing it with new as I believe it's way past it's " shelf life" up!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Pug boxter Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Minniesmum wrote:Thanks for your input. As I've discovered, there is no space in my Symphony for either a second battery or a larger one so am sticking with the 75 amp one that I have - possibly replacing it with new as I believe it's way past it's " shelf life" up!

I would imagine our vans share seat frames, so my set-up would also fit in your van, admittedly it wasn't just a simple bolt-in job. I was just sharing to show what is possible.
Pug boxter
Pug boxter

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your set-up ! I had the guy at my local caravan shop look at my space yesterday. He has an AS VW early one think a T25. He showed me his layout. It was very different. Not only could he fit one larger battery but 2 and under the drivers seat. He said for me to be able to increase battery size or add a second, would involve major mods to the under seat areas. I believe him as his interests would be to sell me another battery !

Female

Back to top Go down

space for a second leisure battery.. Empty Re: Space for second leisure battery

Post by sapper997 Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi minniesmum,
My suggestion would be to visit an auto electrician if you can't get anyone to fit it for you,that is what I did.
My base vehicle is the same as yours, 1997 boxer, the original battery fitted (stated in A/S handbook) is 85ah.
I now have 2x 100ah batteries fitted, one in the space under the drivers seat with a slight alteration to the
securing bracket,and one directly behind the seat sat on a fitted wooden platfom in the small storage space
between the drivers seat and the bench seat. I have made a plywood cover for this, covered with a piece of
matching carpet.
I suspect a good auto electrician would be more inovative than a caravan workshop think_smiley_46

Ray... up! up!

P.S. I also have a mounted 55watt solar panel which suits my needs.
sapper997
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : EXECUTIVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks Ray ! up! I will persue it. I don't give up easily winks

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:55 pm

sapper997 wrote:My base vehicle is the same as yours, 1997 boxer,

Not quite Ray, your van is based on a Boxer chassis/cab whereas Minnismum's is on a Boxer panel van.
There aint much room behind the driving seat on the Symphony.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:59 pm

boxerman wrote:
sapper997 wrote:My base vehicle is the same as yours, 1997 boxer,

Not quite Ray, your van is based on a Boxer chassis/cab whereas Minnismum's is on a Boxer panel van.
There aint much room behind the driving seat on the Symphony.

Frank

Frank is correct. Mine's the Boxer panel van and there is no gap between the current leisure battery " box " and the bench seat. I think the only way this is going to work is to have the safe under the passenger seat modified so that a 75 amp battery will slide in and run wires under the floor to connect them. Space -wise there really isn't any other option.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Minniesmum,
You have mentioned that you are going to replace your battery anyway, so there are some slightly higher amp batteries available in the same size casing as your 75amp one.
This one is 86amp [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This one is 90amp [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This one is 88amp [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This one is 85amp [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just a thought to give you a bit more power.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Paulmold wrote:Minniesmum,
You have mentioned that you are going to replace your battery anyway, so there are some slightly higher amp batteries available in the same size casing as your 75amp one.
This one is 86amp [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This one is 90amp [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This one is 88amp [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This one is 85amp [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just a thought to give you a bit more power.
thanks for that ! Another option up!

Female

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next