The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas.

5 posters

Go down

Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas. Empty Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas.

Post by doubleh16 Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi all. I am new to the site and new to owning an Auto-Sleeper. Have just purchased a 1998 (R reg) VW Trident Auto-Sleeper which has an Electrolux RM4201 3 way fridge which works on 240v and 12v but nothing on gas. The yellow gas switch when pushed on does not flash or ignite the pilot. I do not have the Electrolux operating manual for full instructions and Electrolux say they no longer have any, so only have the Auto-sleeper instruction manual for guidance. Any help will help. .Thanks

doubleh16
doubleh16

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas. Empty Re: Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas.

Post by Dutto Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:27 pm

Also check out "Factsheets" for Gas Fridges!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas. Empty Re: Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas.

Post by -mojo- Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Do you have the 12V master switch for the interior lighting, etc., turned on? On mine the fridge ignition only works if it is. Have you also checked all of the fuses? IIRC the ignition is run from a different fuse than the supply to the 12V element.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas. Empty Fridge 240v, 12v and gas problems.

Post by doubleh16 Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Am going to be totally honest, this is my first proper camper van and is all new and confusing to me.. Had a T25 home conversion for 2 years that a 2 year old could handle but the Auto sleeper is like the star ship enterprise compared to that.
I am at the moment hooked up to the mains and on the zig board the only light on is charger, the fridge light is not on even though I have the rocker switch for mains on. Even when this is off the gas ignition does not lightup/flash or click.
doubleh16
doubleh16

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi there,

Assuming that you have now read all the Factsheets then CHOOSE!!

Gas OR electric.

If you want to run the fridge on gas:

1. Switch the 12v VAN supply ON.

2. At the fridge, switch 12v AND the 240v AND the igniter OFF.

3. Check that there is gas in the bottle and turn it on.

4. Turn and depress the Gas Knob so that the "Flame" logo is next to the Dot.

5. Switch the igniter "On".

a) It may spark only once and if that ignites the flame it will stop flashing so check whether there is a flame or not!

b) If it keeps flashing then it is trying to light the gas. If it stops flashing after 10-15 seconds then again check that there is a flame.

c) If it keeps flashing for more than 10-15 seconds then the chances are that you have something blocking the gas pilot and/or the igniter isn't working and/or you have no gas; so switch it off and check everything.

d) If it stops flashing of its own accord after 10-15 second AND there is no flame then the automatic cut-out has activated. The reasons there was no flame is as c) above so switch it off and check everything.

6. When the flame has ignited switch the Igniter to OFF to prevent damage.

REMEMBER THAT COOLING IN AN ABSORPTION FRIDGE IS NOT AN INSTANT THING! IT MY TAKE UP TO AN HOUR BEFORE YOU SEE FROST FORMING ON THE COOLING COILS.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by doubleh16 Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi and thanks. Trouble is when 12v, 240v both switched off and gas switched on I get no flashing light, no clicking nothing at all. Have followed your instructions and still no luck, I think its going to be a case of find a man who can so anyone know a camper van man in north London,Hertfordshire.
doubleh16
doubleh16

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:37 pm

Dutto's instructions are spot on!

If your Zig is anything like mine, the red fridge light only shows when the fridge is switched on and you are on 12V, with the engine running.

The fridge should not work on 12V when the engine is not running, as this would flatten the battery very quickly, but the gas ignition is 12V, and as long as the switch above the Zig is on it should light up when pressed just as Dutto's instructions.

Some of the controls of the Enterprise were designed by Klingon's who obviously worked for AS before their voyage, as the controls for electrics do in some cases seem a little unnecessarily complicated at first, but after a few voyages to distant galaxies it will all become clear. allthumbz

Stuart

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rimini

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi, You need to switch the 12V on, as that is the power to the ignition!

On mine, it is the switch above the Zig, this needs to be down, but to check just turn on the internal lights, if they work, you should have power to the ignition.

I usually also check the gas by lighting a ring just to make sure the air locks etc are clear, and that I have turned it on! allthumbz

Stuart

Ps, When Dutto said turn off the 12V he meant the 12V switch on the Zig unit not the 12V system in total. If you turn off the 12V switch above the Zig, it kills all the 12V to the habitation. Hope that helps

Last edited by stuartneale1 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add PS)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi doubleh16

Have a look here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by doubleh16 Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi all. I am still having no luck at all with the fridge, plus on my zig unit the only light lit up is the charger light, no fridge light nor the battery level lights (low or OK) nothing is lit up. The heating system is working fine though. I think having it checked over by someone who knows what they are doing is for the best so if anyone knows a man in north London/Hertfordshire boarders please let me know. Thanks for all the advice.
doubleh16
doubleh16

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Sounds like a good idea, but would point out that the battery indicator again only works when you press the button, and it should go from Red to Green, but once you release the button the lights go out.

If the battery charger light is on, are you connected to a hook up?

Stuart

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by doubleh16 Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:19 pm

stuartneale1 wrote:Sounds like a good idea, but would point out that the battery indicator again only works when you press the button, and it should go from Red to Green, but once you release the button the lights go out.

If the battery charger light is on, are you connected to a hook up?

Stuart
Yes, having spent time reading manual and following tips from forum thought it best to plug in and see if anything else not working. I now think the fridge is not working in any function, plus as I said only charger light is on no battery lights nothing. Even when I turn gas switch of and turn on mains still nothing.
doubleh16
doubleh16

Male

Back to top Go down

Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas. Empty Fridge 240v, 12v and gas problems update.

Post by doubleh16 Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:39 pm

doubleh16 wrote:Hi all. I am new to the site and new to owning an Auto-Sleeper. Have just purchased a 1998 (R reg) VW Trident Auto-Sleeper which has an Electrolux RM4201 3 way fridge which works on 240v and 12v but nothing on gas. The yellow gas switch when pushed on does not flash or ignite the pilot. I do not have the Electrolux operating manual for full instructions and Electrolux say they no longer have any, so only have the Auto-sleeper instruction manual for guidance. Any help will help. .Thanks

Latest update. When engine running and fridge switched to 12v it works and fridge light is on on zig display, but when HU on 240v not working and when on gas no flashing yellow light, no clicking and no spark when looking at pilot view hole?.
Need the number of a man who can in north London/Herts. Thanks

doubleh16
doubleh16

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 pm

doubleh16 wrote:
doubleh16 wrote:Hi all. I am new to the site and new to owning an Auto-Sleeper. Have just purchased a 1998 (R reg) VW Trident Auto-Sleeper which has an Electrolux RM4201 3 way fridge which works on 240v and 12v but nothing on gas. The yellow gas switch when pushed on does not flash or ignite the pilot. I do not have the Electrolux operating manual for full instructions and Electrolux say they no longer have any, so only have the Auto-sleeper instruction manual for guidance. Any help will help. .Thanks

Latest update. When engine running and fridge switched to 12v it works and fridge light is on on zig display, but when HU on 240v not working and when on gas no flashing yellow light, no clicking and no spark when looking at pilot view hole?.
Need the number of a man who can in north London/Herts. Thanks

Have you checked that RCD and circuit breakers are all in the On position? Have you checked the fuses to see if any are blown?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Ah!!

Here's a thought. Is the charger and 12v circuit even switched on? confused3

Mine is under the oven and can be knocked off whenever I stick a saucepan back! look here look here

That can cause a lot of grief! wave

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas. Empty The mysterious case of the fridge.

Post by doubleh16 Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Just to update everyone. As I had the morning to myself I thought even though I do not really know what I am doing I would take as good a look as I could at the non working fridge before I contacted someone to come and have a look at it. I started by checking all the fuses from under the bonnet to the zig unit, these were all fine. Then I removed the control knobs on the fridge along with the control fascia, I then basically just looked in and blew the fluff and dust away that had settled on the top. I then switched the gas switch on as there was nothing else I could think of to do and low and behold it started flashing and clicking. I then lit the fridge to run on gas and it is working fine. Thanks for all the advice and tips, will use van for a weekend soon just to check it is working correctly all the time. Thanks up! up!
doubleh16
doubleh16

Male

Back to top Go down

Electrolux RM4201 Fridge not working on gas. Empty The mysterious case of the fridge.

Post by doubleh16 Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Just to update everyone. As I had the morning to myself I thought even though I do not really know what I am doing I would take as good a look as I could at the non working fridge before I contacted someone to come and have a look at it. I started by checking all the fuses from under the bonnet to the zig unit, these were all fine. Then I removed the control knobs on the fridge along with the control fascia, I then basically just looked in and blew the fluff and dust away that had settled on the top. I then switched the gas switch on as there was nothing else I could think of to do and low and behold it started flashing and clicking. I then lit the fridge to run on gas and it is working fine. Thanks for all the advice and tips, will use van for a weekend soon just to check it is working correctly all the time. Thanks up! up!
doubleh16
doubleh16

Male

Back to top Go down