The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electrolux Fridge

+5
masuk
stevomar
whisky
Cymro
neldadog
9 posters

Go down

Electrolux Fridge Empty Electrolux Fridge

Post by neldadog Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, hoping y'all will be able to resolve a few problems that I have with my camper.

I have a T4 1994 Trident with an Electrolux fridge that has suddenly stopped working.

Changed the gas, tried to start the fridge and nothing happened (no flame through the little window - pilot light).

What I have looked at:

1. Cooker hobs and grill working fine,
2. Heater working fine,
3. Spark appearing in window - just not the pilot light!

Think it is obvious there is no gas coming through, dont think it is anything to do with changing the gas bottle as everything else works fine.

Only had the camper since last Autumn, not had chance to use it much, but the fridge was working fine about a month ago (although not that cold).

Did take the camper to be jet washed for the first time a week ago, normally hand wash, but was very careful not to put the jet or brush over the vents.

Any ideas why the pilot light won't come on, before I have to take it in for repair?

Cheers All

Steven.
neldadog
neldadog

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Electrolux Fridge Empty Re: Electrolux Fridge

Post by Cymro Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:54 pm

First forlorn hope: it could indeed be a short airlock in the gas supply. I find that sometimes, after changing bottles, it takes quite a time for the igniter to light the pilot on the fridge - 30 seconds or more (even if the gas is reaching the hob burners satisfactorily). And the eventual POP can be lively!

If - as may well be the case - you've already tried patiently and have held in the fridge's gas control for a reasonable time whilst the igniter does its work but it still hasn't lit, then I'm afraid I can't help.

But the joy of this site is that someone else will surely be able to assist.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Electrolux Fridge Empty Re Electrolux Fridge.

Post by whisky Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Steven.

If everything else in your van is working OK it is unlikely that the gas line is air locked. Its more than likely that the burner jet has got blocked. There is a very fine hole in the jet. to small to clean out with a wire and not damage the jet, Enlarging the jet lets to much gas to the fridge burner. Only thing to do is fit a new jet costs £10/£12. You do this through the bottom fridge vent from outside. This job is quite tricky. Take note of the position of the igniter as when refitting to close or to far away from the burner you will not get a spark to light the burner.
Good Luck. Take care.

Whisky. look here
whisky
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi
Hi Steven - I agree walt all the possibilities previously mentioned but can I ask you if you were trying to use it on a slope.
If the fridge is slightly tilted it won't work on 12v, mains or gas.
Cheers
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by neldadog Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the help,

Stevo, the van wasn't on a tilt when I tried to start the fridge.

Cymo, I felt like I was trying the gas on the fridge for an age, but I am rather impatient. Think I will trying timing the gas for maybe a minute and then give up if the pilot light has not lit.

Whisky, If the above doesn't work, I think I will try your suggestion. Had a quick peer through the grates and it looks a little rusty back there. Maybe it needs looking at?

I would of thought there would some some sort of protection between the vents and the back of the fridge, a cover of some sort that would let the air through and not moisture?

Thanks again for all the help,

Cheers,

Steven
neldadog
neldadog

Back to top Go down

Post by masuk Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Neldadog,quite often you will find some debris, even simply a flake of rust,
has settled in the area of the pilot light affecting the safety shut off
mechanics on your fridge.
masuk
masuk
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst 1996

Back to top Go down

Electrolux Fridge Empty Electolux Fridge

Post by shedone Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi,

I find that I have to hold in the button for several seconds to allow the gas to reach the fridge before pressing the ignition button.
At the start of the season if the fridge has not been used during the winter it can take minutes for the gas to reach thr fridge but you have to be careful because there can be quite a loud pop !
shedone
shedone

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Remove the bottom vent carefully -gently vacuum the area then try to relight before you put the vent back on.
Ramblingon
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by neldadog Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks very much for all the help,

Tried again on the gas for several minutes and no pilot light.

Think I will try removing the vents and having a light dust out.

Not sure that I should try to replace the burner, I will probably set the van alight quick_run

Thinking of taking her in for a habitation check anyway, the rubber gas pipe is ten years out of date so it has probably not has one for some time ......

neldadog
neldadog

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Sorry if this is obvious but is the gas tap for the fridge switched on at the gas manifold?

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Below is a pic of the works of the fridge. The jet is inside the large nut where the arrow says "gas line from fridge control". The jet is shaped like a bowl or army helmet.
On my van the lower fridge vent was too high to access the burner assembly so I had to remove the fridge from the van to work on it. When I removed the jet there was a lot of carbon dust behind it. If your fridge jet is blocked you could probably blow it clear by using a bicycle pump.

squip

ps If you are not confident with working with gas then leave the job to someone who is -don't risk it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by neldadog Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 pm

The isolation tap for the fridge was turned on (as was the gas) - easy mistake to make though squip! ......

The picture is a great help , will try taking the vent off and seeing if I can carefully clean the jet, prior to the habitation check (although I wont adjust anything! ....)

neldadog
neldadog

Back to top Go down

Post by matty34 Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:40 am

the jet prob needs a blow out im a gas engineer quilifed lpg if you need help im near chelt if your close by i can help you!!
matty34
matty34

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down