The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident roof side windows started leaking

5 posters

Go down

Trident roof side windows started leaking Empty Trident roof side windows started leaking

Post by scar Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:34 pm

HI, i am a very happy 2002 trident owner, however the roof side windows have started leaking. is this a common fault and if so how can i cure it. hope someone can help, cheers, peter

Last edited by CruizingComet on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved from intro section)
scar
scar

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : trident

Back to top Go down

Trident roof side windows started leaking Empty Re: Trident roof side windows started leaking

Post by CC Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi Peter, we had a 2001 Trident before our Nuevo and we had no issues with the roof side windows like you suggest. Take it the window rubbers are in good condition? Probably wouldn't cost a huge amount to replace them for peace of mind... perhaps some of our other members can offer some more constructive advice for you.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Trident roof side windows started leaking Empty Re: Trident roof side windows started leaking

Post by -mojo- Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:16 pm

You need to identify exactly where the water is coming in. I had persistent leaks from (I think) identical windows on my Flair, and replacing the rubbers did not solve it.

In my case the leak was from the join in the frame at the top of the window, which had me puzzled for a long, long time, but now fixed.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Trident roof side windows started leaking Empty thanks,

Post by scar Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:22 am

thanks, have taken blinds and covers off and can see frame clips, cleaned and touched up frame mastic last year. seals look in very good condition, but i will put hosepipe on when rain stops (?) to do a controlled test. thanks again : )
scar
scar

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingflat6 Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 pm

hi,

my old girl of 1993 vintage vw trident has stains around the high-top windows too, I have cleaned around the sliding window and removed moss from the sliders and the water stains haven't got worse, anyone else tell us more?
I have noticed on newer tridents they fitted a hinged window was this because of the problems they had with the sliders?

Gary...
screamingflat6
screamingflat6

Male

Member Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Trident roof side windows started leaking Empty Leaky windows

Post by d.l.hunter Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 am

Hello. I have just had to remove and reseal my Duetto Hitop opening windows. They are made by Para Press and it looked like several people had tried to reseal insitue and it didnt work. My locel workshop said the only way to do it is to get then out clean them carefully and refit and it worked.
The sliders may need the drain holes cleaning out. They are slotted and I find the best way to keep them clear is poke a plastic cable tie up from the outside. Dont forget to keep the outside rubbers clean from gunge as it can quickly build up underneath them.
Regards, David

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Trident roof side windows started leaking Empty trident leaky roof windows

Post by scar Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 pm

decided to go to autosleepers and have the windows taken out, re sealed and new rubber seals put in. (its only money!) : (
scar
scar

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:44 pm

scar wrote:decided to go to autosleepers and have the windows taken out, re sealed and new rubber seals put in. (its only money!) : (

Having done both on mine recently (the Flair seems to have identical windows to the later Duettos) I can confirm that it is a very time-consuming job, with much trim needing to come out!

Having spoken to AS before starting the work, they have changed how they seal them compared with how mine were originally. In addition to the butyl rubber mastic strip - which is thicker now than they originally used - they also recommend a bead of silicon sealant round the outside as well.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Trident roof side windows started leaking Empty TRIDENT ROOF SIDE WINDOWS

Post by d.l.hunter Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:53 am

-mojo- wrote:
scar wrote:decided to go to autosleepers and have the windows taken out, re sealed and new rubber seals put in. (its only money!) : (

Having done both on mine recently (the Flair seems to have identical windows to the later Duettos) I can confirm that it is a very time-consuming job, with much trim needing to come out!

Having spoken to AS before starting the work, they have changed how they seal them compared with how mine were originally. In addition to the butyl rubber mastic strip - which is thicker now than they originally used - they also recommend a bead of silicon sealant round the outside as well.

The guys at my local repair center mentioned putting a bead of sealant round the window after fitting it in with the mastic strip. When I took mine out they had had a bead of something---I suspect Tiger Seal put round and it reacted with the mastic strip turning it to a runny sticky mess. I think this may have contributed to the problem. Soooooooooo---just be aware as to what kind of sealer is used around the outside.
Love to you all, David allthumbz

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down