The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AVTEX TV signal problem

+6
breakaleg
Dbvwt
CC
Roopert
Tinwheeler
LoubieLou
10 posters

Go down

AVTEX TV signal problem  Empty AVTEX TV signal problem

Post by LoubieLou Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:35 pm

Hi Our AL Neuvo 2021 is having big scrambling issues even when we have the booster is switched on with the red light displayed.
The aerial on the roof has the additional silver antenna on top of the aerial and it's in the horizontal position. 

We have tuned in the tv even in the city/town, as well as rural, but lots of channels are still scrambling.

Any tips/advice very welcome.

Tia..... louise
LoubieLou
LoubieLou

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EKS
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

AVTEX TV signal problem  Empty Re: AVTEX TV signal problem

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:40 pm

Can you describe "scrambling issues" please, and can you be specific on the make/model of the aerial?
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:29 pm

As Tinwheeler says, more info is likely to help. But if you are getting breakup of the picture/sound and the aerial booster has a gain control, try turning the gain down a little. It's quite common for people to just set them on "Max" and that can cause distortion in strong signal areas.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by LoubieLou Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:10 pm

Hi the make and model of the aerial is...Max view Gazelle Pro with the added telescopic aerial.
LoubieLou
LoubieLou

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LoubieLou Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:15 pm

AVTEX TV signal problem  20241013
LoubieLou
LoubieLou

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:09 am

I’d be inclined to think it’s an issue with the tv rather than the aerial, when you say scrambled do you mean the picture is breaking up? presumably you’ve retuned the tv Channels, I’d go into the tv menu & do a factory reset to rule out any issues with the tv, then a fresh setup & retune, if that doesn’t correct it then at least you can rule out the TV then concentrate on the antenna side of things. I think the models with the additional silver antennas are only for radio signals so I’d retract them in as not needed for your tv.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:48 am

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned the A/S coax cabling/connections which many of us have found to be shockingly bad.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:19 pm

Mine on my 21 reg nuevo were rubbish, Tim at the service center had a twiddle and it has improved.

When I complained to someone at Willersea (I can't remember who) I was told that most people stream the tv these days but he didn't offer to refund me for the crap tv system or offer to pay the data charges that I would incur, strange that. smile!

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:24 pm

CC wrote:I’d be inclined to think it’s an issue with the tv rather than the aerial, 
I respectfully disagree, I would definitely substitute the rubbish MaxView for one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZXPE1DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are quite a few threads on here exalting how good they are, especially for the price. 

I have rewired the coax connectors so that the aerial socket on the side of my van becomes an input to the signal booster, This is all inside the wardrobe on my van and quite easy to access. You then simply site the stubby aerial using the magnetic base and plug it into the van side socket, then retune your TV.  

I must admit though that recently I have stopped watching the miserable offerings on Terrestrial TV and stream Amazon Prime instead.  In the course of rewiring the co-axial circuits I was appalled at the sub-standard wiring. It only takes one whisker from the screen to touch the signal core to screw your reception, likewise if the screen or the signal core has a bad connection .  This is so easy to get right and apparently very easy for AS to get it wrong.

Last edited by Monty-Plym on Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar correction)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Mon Oct 14, 2024 5:30 am

When mine was playing up I bought one (not that model) but very similar and it cost £12.00.

I still use it when the fitted system doesn't pick up any channels but the stubby often does.

I recently bought a cello TV for in the kitchen at home and the same Ariel was included in the box.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:10 am

LoubieLou wrote:Hi Our AL Neuvo 2021 is having big scrambling issues even when we have the booster is switched on with the red light displayed.

On ours if the booster is on red then the signal is too weak to get a picture, it has to be amber at the least & preferably green, of course your booster could be different to ours…

Have you tried moving location elsewhere to a definite stronger signal area & retuning your TV?

Male

Member Age : 59
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:34 am

breakaleg wrote:When mine was playing up I bought one (not that model) but very similar and it cost £12.00.

I still use it when the fitted system doesn't pick up any channels but the stubby often does.

I recently bought a cello TV for in the kitchen at home and the same Ariel was included in the box.

Pete
The aerial I quoted has a 5m cable attached whereas the £12 aerials cable is around 2m which I found to be too short.  As I am vertically challenged, it is easier for me to stand in the cab with the door open and plonk it on the roof so I needed the longer cable.  biggrin

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:56 am

I bought a stumpy for £7 , unfortunately it comes with a USB connection as well as coax plug so couldn't be used on the outside connection.  It also said not waterproof so putting it through a rooflight to stick on the roof is not always possible . We have used it a few times placing it on top of dashboard and got a few channels on the rare occasions when we get nothing on the vans aerial.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:58 pm

I was recently at Lady Margaret site at Chirk. My TV would not pick up any channel on the roof aerial nor on the stubby. Assumed I had a TV problem as some vans near by were obviously watching TV, so binge watches Game of Thrones boxed st on DVD. When I got home tried to tune TV, and got 137 tv channel and 30 odd radio. So location and actual position counts.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:24 pm

The problem is that the Ariel is a omnidirectional Ariel and not suitable for digital signals and not really the right choice.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:25 pm

Radio signal propagation quality depends on very many factors, I thought someone would have produced a simple explanation of those factors and how they affect TV reception.  I haven't found one but the article to be found at the link below does cover all of the points except actual aerial design - you may find it interesting:  https://www.channelmaster.com/blogs/free-tv/real-world-signal-propagation-what-you-need-to-know?srsltid=AfmBOorOf8hGujovrPBf5il131i6y_7bcNCwHi9_naWlDXDjBYI6Dp2m
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down