The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noisy refrigerator

+4
The Bargee
IanH
Paulmold
Mick lad
8 posters

Go down

Noisy refrigerator  Empty Noisy refrigerator

Post by Mick lad Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:06 pm

We’ve just taken delivery of a new Fairford camper van and are on our first trip away. The refrigerator runs on all electric, it isn’t designed to work on gas. It is a Dometic.
From time to time it makes a lot of noise compared with our old van which we had for seven years and the fridge in that was completely silent in operation at all times. 
Reading the instructions I think I’m hearing the compressor running to bring the fridge back down to temperature. I’ve set it to a  ‘silent’ operation (limited to eight hours the instruction book says) but it still comes on after a short while even on that setting. If it comes on during the night like it is now then I shall have to switch it off.
Does any other owner have this issue? Second, am I doing anything wrong?
Any wisdom you can offer would be much appreciated before we go back to the dealer.
Mick lad
Mick lad

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Noisy refrigerator  Empty Re: Noisy refrigerator

Post by Paulmold Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:19 pm

Absorption fridges as previously fitted are silent, compressor fridges do make some noise I believe, I've never used one.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:25 pm

My DC only compressor fridge is inaudible inside the van and only just audible through the external vent. Even then all I'm hearing is the fan over the heat exchanger.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:29 pm

I have known instances where the compressor or related pipework has been rattling against something.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Mick lad likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Big g Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:59 am

I also have one of these dometic compressor fridges and you soon get used to it and won't even notice the compressor running
Big g
Big g

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:08 am

Mick, you are not doing anything wrong.  I have the same fridge as you, and in the past 9 months we have travelled nearly 11,000 miles across Europe from Italy to Norway.  

The fridge does make more noise inside the van than an absorption fridge, and I have to confess that for the first month I longed for the old absorption fridge we had in the previous van.

However, you quickly get used to it (and I am a light sleeper).  It is (IMHO) a much more effective fridge than an absorption, slightly bigger because it doesn't have the absorbtion mechanics behind, and keeps good temperatures (we measure constantly with internal bluetooth probes).

I would not however, keep it on silent, because it is not at its most effective.  We have found that position 3 on the dial is best, and it stays there all the time, day and night.  

It cuts in and out, blows cooler air into the van, but I don't notice it now.  There is no point in going back to the dealer, as the fridge (from your description) is working as it should.  Give it time.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Big g likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:35 am

I've got a similar fridge in the Celex and, as Big g and Rocky have said, you just get used to it. You should find that you brain just filters the noise out.

However... two related factors: As The Bargee says, if there is something behind the fridge that the compressor is touching, it can really amplify the sound. And if it has a fan, you may be able to make it a bit quieter by fitting a slightly bigger fan - I did that on my Waeco (now Dometic) and it did make a difference. The fans are generally the same type as fitted to computer cases, so they are not expensive.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick lad Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:04 pm

Thank you for the replies, every one interesting. 
I took it back to the dealer today and I’m glad I did. I was told that the compressor assembly at the rear of the fridge had become detached and was knocking against two pipes. All was put back together properly whilst we waited and the unit is now running very quietly. 
Yes, there is a little noise which we’ve never had from any fridge in nearly forty years of caravanning but it is now as such a low level as to be acceptable.
The dealer also sorted some catches which were not closing properly, eased the sliding toilet compartment sliding door and adjusted the water tap under one of the seats that regulates the flow of water to the sink.
The internal light on the fridge also doesn’t work and it will be recalled when the replacement part is received. You can no longer just replace the bulb, it needs a complete unit including all the display and buttons! Progress, eh? 
We are now happy customers.
Mick lad
Mick lad

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

jwells, Rocky, Big g, Spoonvet, Sally, Sarah Harley and Roopert like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by firsttimer Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:03 pm

That sounds like a good dealership, nice to hear .
firsttimer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down