The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T4 1993 Trident Offside rear window cover

3 posters

Go down

T4 1993 Trident Offside rear window cover Empty T4 1993 Trident Offside rear window cover

Post by Phorse Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:13 pm

Hi,

The four capped screws fixing the cover couldn't be tightened and part of the cover was coming off. I carefully removed the cover, which is undamaged, and found that the wooden battens, which accept the screws, were completely rotten. Having cleaned all the old mastic off the window, I would now like to refit the cover in order to maintain the originality of the vehicle. I would very much appreciate any advice on this project, particularly with respect to the bonding of new battens to the glass (glue or mastic), and what mastic to use between the glass and the back of the cover.

Thank you
Phorse
Phorse

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident 2.4L
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

T4 1993 Trident Offside rear window cover Empty Re: T4 1993 Trident Offside rear window cover

Post by Mr Grey Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:01 am

Someone recently recommended an adhesive called CT1 for a project on our van - looks a great product and may be worth researching. FWIW, I’d probably screw the plastic moulding back on though rather than glue it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

T4 1993 Trident Offside rear window cover Empty Re: T4 1993 Trident Offside rear window cover

Post by Roopert Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:32 am

CT1 is OK in areas not exposed to UV light, but my experience of it where there is any significant sunlight exposure is that it is not UV resistant - on my application it disintegrated after about 2 years.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grey Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:05 pm

Interesting - good to hear from a voice of experience. That said, I guess sandwiched inside the window/plastic panel it probs will be pretty well protected from UV!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:13 pm

I would think it should be Ok - it was very noticeable for me because I applied a bead all the way around the edge to stop water getting underneath the panel, and the bead just turned to crumbly mush. But the bond was still absolutely fine underneath the panel. I was a bit annoyed about it, because on the packaging it says that it is UV stable, when it clearly wasn't!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Phorse Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:07 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Eventually, I made 4 new blocks out of marine ply and bonded these to the window using Soudal Fix All. I then bonded the cover to the window and window seal using Sikaflex EBT+ which, apparently, will bond to most plastics and remain flexible. Time will tell!
Phorse
Phorse

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident 2.4L
Vehicle Year : 1993

Roopert likes this post

Back to top Go down