The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL 3 duct heat outlet query

5 posters

Go down

Warwick XL 3 duct heat outlet query Empty Warwick XL 3 duct heat outlet query

Post by Sheppy Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:16 pm

Hi all

Another query, the Warwick XL we are looking to buy has only 3 heating outlets 2 fixed under offside lounge/bed side and 1 in the shower area.
Obviously I’ve seen other models with more outlets so know there is room to increase outlets although restricted due to obvious layout limitations compared with other model layouts i.e. left and right sides(although not impossible)
I wouldn’t expect much difference between the Truma based system or the Whale system but that reasoning only from tech specs that I have looked into so happy to be informed on that.

1. Does this set up manage ok I’m thinking shower/toilet door cracked open to help front end to a cold Fiat area that is cold on any van and our motorhome style the same. Anything you would change, any area you would like/think would help if you could add/modify simply.

2. Anyone with a older model, or it could have been with the Truma system, don’t know when Auto-Sleepers stopped doing this, but I saw on a 2018 model what looked like an outlet in the little step area below the captains chairs at the front, if anyone could confirm if this was correct and how is it routed to that position. My guess is possibly a reduced size duct through the shower/toilet base area or external and lagged and back in at the cab area.

Also anyone reading this and not specific to the XL layout the new whale system is this better,same than the Truma apart from obviously having separate heater / water heater.
Again just trying to get real world users experience of these systems that will be new to us for all year usage 
Cheers Sheppy
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL 3 duct heat outlet query Empty Re: Warwick XL 3 duct heat outlet query

Post by Kdc Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:18 pm

Reference question 2….. my 2018 WXL has truma system with outlet at front step and yes it is ducted via smaller bore pipe via bathroom. It doesn’t give out much ( if any) heated air. Leaving bathroom door ajar does provide some heat to forward end if required.
As the front vent cannot be closed off I assume it may be something to do with ensuring there is always an outlet from heater should the variable outlet be restricted.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL 3 duct heat outlet query Empty Re: Warwick XL 3 duct heat outlet query

Post by Rocky Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:41 am

Sheppy, I have the Whale system, and it works well with plenty of heat.

You are right that they only put 3 outlets for Whale (4 for Truma), but don't know why.  As Kdc says, the small bore pipe to the front step provides little heat anyway.

It's a small drawback to a great motorhome.  We sometimes leave the bathroom door ajar to give some heat to the front, but we also carry a small 500w electric heater

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have had a 13a socket put in the front, and it's easy to just plug in and leave up by the front dash.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheppy Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:32 am

Rocky, thanks for the reply and it was what I was hoping for in detail.
Background to why it helps me, currently ready to purchase XL and have the 2018 Kontiki with ALDE (know the pros and cons between the 2 systems) but the ALDE is very balanced with being round all sides of the van and it has the little blown fan next to the cab so works perfect. I don’t want to downgrade if that makes sense but defo want the different experience of the panel van, and just trying to see what could be different, and your answer helps as I can see heating only from offside and shower, so will I have cold spots/areas low and high on near side or does it warm whole body easily just differently?
Yeah i was already thinking with the air con roof system the compact systems do give a bit of waste heat as such but not actual heat element, but the comfort system does actually have a 1700w heater that would give heat across roof area, but looking at specs they do struggle at lower outside temps so could be a costly no real gain.
I could do a couple of easy ducting mods i.e. to near side and even to front area - low cost as such and a bit of balancing if Whale system has capacity which on paper it should and your response saying it good.
I had exactly same thought in mind new socket in cab area and little heater to natural Fiat cold area as required and ampage just managed with gas/elec split especially with the Whale having separate heating and water power requirements anyway to manage.
Thoughts on above, am I on right tracks as such or are they good anyway and maybe just overthinking a negative that’s not really there confused3
Also might as well ask in case or if someone else picks up on this:
I can see Autosleepers now fit the gas crash sensor this I’m presuming to allow en-route heating, but when I looked at the whale specs it pretty much said the 5/6 G systems could not be used en-route as such, not spoke to AS on this yet, still on list of to-do, did ask at local dealer but they weren’t sure, any help on this would be great also
Cheers Craig
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:05 am

Craig,

If you have seen my response to your other question re condensation, you will see that we had alde heating in our last Moho, a Laika A Class.

It was a big decision to change, but over the years we have come down, and down in size, and I find the WXL the easiest to drive, and it's a 'go anywhere' vehicle.

We fitted the Truma compact plus to the roof; it was made for vans.  It's smaller but has the same cooling capacity as the larger aventa.  The size reduction is because it cuts out the heating, and only has cooling.  Forget heating from a roof aircon - we've had both Truma (best) and Dometic, and neither produce any reasonable heat.

You cannot use gas on the move.  If you are getting a 2024 model (same as mine) it will have the EC970 control panel and a central gas masterswitch, although there are still individual valves.  The masterswitch turns off the gas when the engine starts.  I like the system.  The EC970 panel is a huge improvement over the EC700 panel.

I also have the compressor fridge, and you will probably get the same.  It does not use gas, and is just 12v.  You might find it a little noisy to start with, but we don't notice it now.  The compressor fridge is deeper because it doesn't have all the absorption gubbins at the back.

We have not looked back.  In the 7 months we have had the van we have been to Italy, Switzerland, France, Germany, and have just spent 7 weeks in Norway going up as far as Tromso.  I am writing this on board the Gothenburg - Fredrickshavn ferry as we start our long trek back across Denmark/Germany/Nethlands/Belgium to get to Calais.  The van has been faultless (touching lots of wood) and a pleasure to drive (get the automatic version).

The only point you will have to consider carefully is storage.  We were used to a large garage, so this is a very different way of life and you have to consider minimalising everything.  Hasn't been a problem, but you need to think about it.  We have avoided boxes on the back, and you need to think about overall weight.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:21 am

In our Warwick Duo's the Truma heater system had 4 outlets, one blanked off. Reading about this, the system is designed to only have 4 outlets, presumably to dissipate the heat and balance the airflow better.

So we fitted a 4th outlet in the fwd end of the driver side bed base to give it 4 outlets, worked just fine...
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:38 am

IanH wrote:In our Warwick Duo's the Truma heater system had 4 outlets, one blanked off. Reading about this, the system is designed to only have 4 outlets, presumably to dissipate the heat and balance the airflow better.

So we fitted a 4th outlet in the fwd end of the driver side bed base to give it 4 outlets, worked just fine...

When I originally asked why the Whale system only had 3 outlets, I was told that was all they could fit, which I think is bu!!sh@t.  They originally fitted a 4kw whale system but upgraded to a 6kw, which is plenty for 4 outlets.  Design is different (it's underfloor), but a 4th outlet could be run up to the front if necessary.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Sheppy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheppy Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:48 am

Ian, Rocky
Again thanks guys, yes I’ve looked at different models all new with the Whale system(so should be same spec) and some have up to 5 outlets from memory and was just the simpler layouts gave the easy solution of putting more outlets into them because of the van layouts.
Whereas the XL I’ve been querying for, obviously would need either a bit of boxing in at rear doors to get to near side and then get past kitchen stuff and/or back under van with insulation and back in, or I did see you could T off under van with cosher insulation before it comes in from actual heater to go to under oven or past the toilet to front end.
Cheers Sheppy
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheppy Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:30 pm

Rocky, 2nd attempt at reply lost the other one 
Firstly, hope you were on the ferry Wi-Fi when you replied and not marine band  hugegrins or I already owe you more beers (got that t-shirt)
Great help, just what you’re doing is the type of thing we are changing for from a big 8m, garage etc.
Yes it will be new 2024 model and on the new auto,  the one I’ve been climbing over at local dealer was a Feb 2024 build date.
Ok we are spoilt with the ALDE heat ex. So not even using gas en-route, but that info on the gas master cutoff doesn’t sound great(and why have they gone forward to the crash sensor regulator seems unnecessary if another interlock)
What are they like then enroute, I can still remember old tugging days and getting into caravan like a ice box, I know what the motorhome like with the ventilation on the road if didn’t have heating again thinking the 6 months of colder weather is it coats on and heating on for lunch stops as such, can’t imagine the fiat keeping it warmish out of season?
For some this may be normal as such, but we can’t feel like we going backwards to gain other things.
The compressor fridge, that a win wasn’t aware it was, they far better, but will tie in with my other query regarding power etc.
Again as you, yes the storage a big shift from all the nice to haves and the bikes onto the back, will use a one of those swing arm type to keep use of doors and may go for a small white box, but understand that will be minimal light stuff as not fully cosher as such for back door use.
Yes already spoke to people for weight uplift, so no probs there not new for us. But will have to be realistic and no nice to haves any more.
Cheers Craig
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:50 pm

Our Kemerton XL is fitted with the 6kW Whale Heat-Air system. It's a powerful heater and warms up the van quickly once we're stopped. We use the van year-round and have never felt the need to have it on while underway.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:01 pm

Craig,

I think you are worrying about nothing regarding the heating.  Even in our A Class with alde heating, there was little in the cab and it was always a bit cooler.

I also thought about putting in more heating ducts and possibly having something on the nearside.   Two reasons I didn't:

- I like to be cool at night, so I sleep on the nearside.  The wife likes to be hot, so she has the hot water tank under her, and all the heating pipes, which we programme to come on about 30-45 minutes before we get up.

- More importantly, all the food storage we carry for long journeys, and the gifts we bring back (often biscuits or chocolates), are under my bed with no heating, and I wouldn't want any heating near any of that.

What I did do, was completely line the nearside under the seat with additional insulation (bottom and sides) to make up for the lack of ducting.

We make do with the small electric heater I told you about upfront, and that is sufficient.  The Whale system is good, and it gets hot quickly.  On the move, the engine heating system is good.

I disagree on the gas.  The masterswitch on the control panel is a brilliant addition, and I am happy with the crash sensor.

If you have ever had the old comfortmatic, you will realise how wonderful the ZF 9 speed box is - it's a pleasure to drive.  This holiday has proved to me the utility of the PVC.  We have gone to some pretty remote islands in Norway, and I wouldn't have wanted anything bigger - I certainly wouldn't have taken my old Laika A Class to some of these places.

Let me know if you have any further questions - or PM me.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Monty-Plym likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheppy Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:54 pm

Gents
Thanks again for this info really helpful, trying to respond and trying to see if Keano or wrighty come out with any pearlers  smile!
Rocky, haha yeah on the comformatic now and always wondering if the little red cog is going to re-appear @  worst time as usual. Yeah had the younger version of the ZF on the jeep was unreal 
Thanks will do, drop you a pm for thoughts
Cheers Craig
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Back to top Go down