The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement toaster for use in motorhome

+5
The Bargee
allanwbrown
Tinwheeler
Bilbobaggins
purdyhorse
9 posters

Go down

Replacement toaster for use in motorhome Empty Replacement toaster for use in motorhome

Post by purdyhorse Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:21 pm

Please can anyone suggest a reliable two slice toaster for use in my motorhome, preferably with wide slice slots and capable of taking 'regularly' sized slices of bread? I've spent (too) much time unsuccessfully trying to identify something appropriate - it's a real product jungle full of contradictory product reviews. The best model I've seen is a Bosch but at 1000 watts, is questionably, too heavy an overload for many campsites EHUs. Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

Last edited by purdyhorse on Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing error)
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Replacement toaster for use in motorhome Empty Re: Replacement toaster for use in motorhome

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:28 pm

I find grill in WXL makes fine toast, not quick, but effective and not dependent on ehu

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Replacement toaster for use in motorhome Empty Re: Replacement toaster for use in motorhome

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:31 pm

We always used the smallest and lowest wattage toaster available and cut the slices of bread in half and toasted 2 pieces. Simple and cheap.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by allanwbrown Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:52 pm

Here you go Purdy - Does everything you wish for
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
allanwbrown
allanwbrown
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:35 pm

What the likes of Amazon never include in their details is whether or not something rattles! 

Personally I would be going down to Asda or whatever and shaking them all. Also take a slice from your favourite loaf.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:54 pm

We have great trouble finding a decent toaster to use at home, never mind the van.  No matter what make or price range, they all now seem to use similar types of elements which are basically just pieces of heat proof material (silica?) with flattened thin wire wound around them - this is never done evenly and hence the result is poor. Any form of 'browning' control timer  seems to be erratic, the number of times it comes out either a. 'peely-wally' or b. burnt, in the former cause putting it back for a second go even at minimum setting results in b.

We have a cheap low wattage one in the van which we bought from a caravan/motorhome accessories shop yonks ago, it's so old the make has worn off the case but wouldn't recommend it anyway.

What I prefer to use, sometimes even at home, is one that goes over the gas ring and makes toast a bit like how it used to be when done in front of the fire with a toasting fork:

Last edited by rogerblack on Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:54 pm

allanwbrown wrote:Here you go Purdy - Does everything you wish for
Thanks for your suggestion, which I appreciated your making, but I ordered one of this model a couple of days ago and when it arrived it was faulty and has been returned for refund. It was this experience that prompted me to appeal to the Forum for advice. Best wishes, David
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:00 pm

Bilbobaggins wrote:I find grill in WXL makes fine toast, not quick, but effective and not dependent on ehu
Thanks for replying. We've also used the grill but she who must be obeyed uses the oven for storage and says emptying and refilling it just to make toast is too much of a faff and is insisting on replacing the old toaster
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:33 pm

Ah! I see your problem. Much to be said for happy wife, quiet life😀

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:57 pm

rogerblack wrote:We have great trouble finding a decent toaster to use at home, never mind the van.  No matter what make or price range, they all now seem to use similar types of elements which are basically just pieces of heat proof material (silica?) with flattened thin wire wound around them - this is never done evenly and hence the result is poor. Any form of 'browning' control timer  seems to be erratic, the number of times it comes out either a. 'peely-wally' or b. burnt, in the former cause putting it back for a second go even at minimum setting results in b.

We have a cheap low wattage one in the van which we bought from a caravan/motorhome accessories shop yonks ago, it's so old the make has worn off the case but wouldn't recommend it anyway.

What I prefer to use, sometimes even at home, is one that goes over the gas ring and makes toast a bit like how it used to be when done in front of the fire with a toasting fork:

Bought exactly the same thing for my last van and it is still going strong after 5 years in my Symbol. Only does one slice at a time but we’ve not found anything better  up!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:19 am

We always use the cheapest toaster from Argos, usually around £12.00 and they last for years.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by purdyhorse Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:25 am

Thanks Pete - that's exactly what I've just ordered. £12+delivery, 2 year guarantee, no negative reviews and takes full sized slices of bread. Best wishes, David
purdyhorse
purdyhorse

Male

breakaleg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:52 am

We use the cheapest Argos one we could get, bought about 7 years ago for £5 . It's only 800w but does the job, only problem is if you only do 1 slice its chucks it out when done about 1 foot in the air.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

breakaleg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:23 pm

yes, mines a bit over sprung. lol
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down