The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a CD Player 1996 Duetto

4 posters

Go down

Fitting a CD Player 1996 Duetto Empty Fitting a CD Player 1996 Duetto

Post by Tommy-Darcy Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 pm

PLEASE HELP, I am going nuts trying to figure it out.

I bought a harness to "Plug and Play", but nothing is that simple.

The standard radio is connected to a separate amplifier located under the dash to the left of the glove box. The radio operates sound levels only (I think) which are then fed through the amp. The supplier of the harness said to remove the amp to speaker connection block which will then fit into the harness he has provided. However, I can not find said connector. On the amp, there are 2 connectors, 1 I presume is power and the other is to the radio speaker output.

Has anyone encountered this problem, or am I best going to Halfords to have it fitted as that is where I bought the cs player from. Don't really want to do this as they charge £30 for the job, and I have almost done it, just need to find the bloody connector!!!

Cheers

Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Fitting a CD Player 1996 Duetto Empty Re: Fitting a CD Player 1996 Duetto

Post by CC Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi Tommy-Darcy.... Hopefully someone can help you out but just incase you get stuck, (depending on who you speak to) Halfords are usually pretty helpful and as you bought your CD player from them I'd pop into the store and ask to speak with the audio fitter explaining that you bought the head unit from them and your problem.... They might even have a quick look and advise where you are going wrong or what (if any) other parts you may require to finish the installation.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Cheers CC, really hope someone on here can help as nearest Halfords is 40 miles away................would be a nice day out I suppose lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:25 pm

censored! Unbelievable Halfords customer service at it's best, a bit of a long story but a warning worthy of note! censored!

Drove Tommy-Darcy the 51 miles to the Halfords Super Store at Bangor North Wales to ensure the right cd player harness adapter could be bought, or ordered for onward delivery to me in Barmouth. They did not have one in stock, but could order one at a cost of £42 and they could not post it, so I would have to return to collect it even though it would mean a 102 mile round trip. confused3 The store person suggested I ordered online as I did to buy my cd player in the first place. She gave me the part number and store code, for which I was grateful.

Returned to Barmouth, and immediately went to Halfords.com, found said adapter discounted from £14.99 to £3.99 as it was a clearance item, and guess what................collect in store only!!!!!

So, I telephoned customer services to explain my dilemma, but they said that it could not be delivered as it was a "collect in store item only" due to it being a clearance item. Even though I said that I was not buying it because it was a clearance item, but that it was necessary to fit the cd player I had previously bought online from Halfords, the answer was still that it had to be collected in store. I even said that I would pay the full price of £14.99 plus postage costs, but still the answer was NO. Even arguing the point that the store which had the part in stock would have to post it to Bangor, so why couldn't they post it direct to me? NO! scratch head

I asked for the phone number for a store which had one in stock, and whether they would be willing to send it in the post............the answer was NO, they can not offer that service, but I could have the phone number. Arghhhh !!!!

So, I have ordered the very same part number off the internet for the princely sum of £22 including postage, but this is still less than the cost of fuel etc to travel the 102 miles to collect from Halfords in Bangor. smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I know it's no real consolation, but it's likely that their legal beagles have set the rules, on the basis that anything posted out to you is covered by the DSRs, whereas "collect in store" is not. It may well be that they have decided that selling something at £3.99 and then having to cope with the extra admin that a return under the DSRs could involve would actually lose them money.

In that sort of situation they probably wouldn't allow sales staff to use their discretion, because your average Halfords store employee wouldn't have a clue what extra costs would (or might, in the case of a return) be involved.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:34 am

There's a Halfords super-store quite near to me, if you like , & they have one, i'll pick it up for you & post it on.

regards

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks MM but I have ordered one of t'internet now, but very good of you to offer wave

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Job done, sounds great !!!

Donator
Donator

Male