The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre pressures for van conversions.

+6
Dbvwt
Caraman
v8oholic
MalMonty
IanH
mikemelson
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tyre pressures for van conversions.  Empty Tyre pressures for van conversions.

Post by mikemelson Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:05 pm

Hi,
   I recently picked up a new Symbol from Marquis who said the recommended tyre pressures was 80psi.

Well, it seems like I'm driving around on solid tyres, especially on the potholed roads!

My previous Symbol was fine with 65psi, I'm sure 80 is far too much.

It will be interesting to note what you other campervanners use?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Tyre pressures for van conversions.  Empty Re: Tyre pressures for van conversions.

Post by IanH Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:10 pm

Endless topic on here.
Not going to get into any argument, my 5 vans,  3PVC, 1 coachbuilt, current monocoque have all had 60psi all round.
No issues at all, a big variety of different tyres too
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Tyre pressures for van conversions.  Empty Re: Tyre pressures for van conversions.

Post by MalMonty Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:17 pm

All depends on load, van weight and the tyres.  smile!

I've kept pretty much to 45 front and 60 rear on a loaded for trip set-up. 
Pretty sure the documentation for your van should keep you right.
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:26 pm

Fully laden with me in it, my Symbol weighs 3000 kg, and both axle weights are roughly the same. Tyresafe website suggested 49 psi all round. I picked 54 psi all round because of sustained high speed motorway driving on occasion. It's worked fine. Tyre wear over 20,000 miles is pretty low, but it's even across the tread on all four tyres.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:15 pm

mikemelson wrote:Hi,
   I recently picked up a new Symbol from Marquis who said the recommended tyre pressures was 80psi.

Well, it seems like I'm driving around on solid tyres, especially on the potholed roads!

My previous Symbol was fine with 65psi, I'm sure 80 is far too much.

It will be interesting to note what you other campervanners use?
It depends what tyres you have and the maximum axle loads you are ever likely to have which can only be measured on a weigh bridge when you are fully loaded.  Put the figures into the TyreSafe on line calculator and it will give the ETRTO pressures for an axle mass that is 10% higher which is sensible.  Unfortunately, if you have CP tyres it will give 80 psi for the rear tyres regardless of the rear axle load.  This is because the ETRTO used to recommend this but no longer do.  Fortunately, Continental publish all the ETRTO pressures in their DataBook at intervals of 0.2 or 0.3 bar which can be accessed on line.  From this it is easy to work out the correct rear CP pressures to use for a rear axle mass that is 10% higher.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:36 pm

Whoopee, about time we had another tyre debate that goes on for ever hugegrins

Mikemelson, how old was your previous Symbol? Please don’t think I’m knocking your question, it’s obviously important.

V8 chose 54psi on a newish Symbol, I stick 55-60 in my 2018 Symbol, Ian goes for 60 and you were happy with 65 before  up!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:41 pm

Can I ask a question - do any of the Symbols have CP tyres?  If not and Marquis recommended 80 psi they should be shot as that exceeds the maximum permitted pressure of most C tyres.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:51 pm

Caraman wrote:Can I ask a question - do any of the Symbols have CP tyres?  If not and Marquis recommended 80 psi they should be shot as that exceeds the maximum permitted pressure of most C tyres.

“my existing tyres are Bridgestone Duravis 215/70 R15. Load rating 109/107 SLT.”

Quote from a previous post, I think they a C tyres.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:07 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Whoopee, about time we had another tyre debate that goes on for ever hugegrins

Mikemelson, how old was your previous Symbol? Please don’t think I’m knocking your question, it’s obviously important.

V8 chose 54psi on a newish Symbol, I stick 55-60 in my 2018 Symbol, Ian goes for 60 and you were happy with 65 before  up!

My previous Symbol was exactly 20 years old & as I stated 65 was fine if a little firm but it seemed to be good for the tyre wear.

The Bridgestones on the back had done over 70,000 miles & still had plenty of even tread!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:13 pm

Please don’t quote me on this but from the replies so far I would say somewhere between 54 and 60 will be fine.
Don’t forget there are also pressures to be set on the rear suspension.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:09 pm

mikemelson wrote:

My previous Symbol was exactly 20 years old & as I stated 65 was fine if a little firm but it seemed to be good for the tyre wear.

The Bridgestones on the back had done over 70,000 miles & still had plenty of even tread!
These were standard Commercial (C) van tyres that probably had a maximum permitted pressure of 65 psi.  If you ran them at 65 psi, they were probably overinflated hence the firm ride.  What we need to know is what size, load index and type (C or CP) of tyre your current 2024 Symbol has?  Based on Dbvwt's input, I doubt it is a CP tyre with a maximum permitted pressure of 80 psi.  The tyre pressure label on the passenger cab door C pillar should give a clue and show the recommended cold tyre pressures for when both axles are at their maximum permitted mass of 1800 kg front and 1900 kg rear.  As the Symbol's overall maximum permitted mass is only 3300 kg, and assuming it is not overloaded, both axles cannot be at their maximum permitted masses so in practice one or both will be less potentially allowing lower pressures to be used.

Using TyreSafe's on line calculator, if you have the same tyres as Dbvwt (215/70 R15 C 109/107), your fronts should be between 52 psi (for the minimum front axle mass of 1551 kg) and 62 psi (for the maximum permitted front axle mass of 1800 kg) and your rears should be between 46 psi (for the minimum rear axle mass of 1299 kg) and 65 psi (for the maximum permitted rear axle mass of 1900 kg. It all depends what your actual axle masses are when fully loaded on a trip.

If you have no idea what your actual axle masses are, I would stick to the pressures shown on the tyre pressure label.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:33 pm

Just a word of caution.  If your vehicle is fitted with TPMS - and I suspect it will be - then the TPMS sender units in each tyre will probably have been calibrated by Fiat or Peugeot (you don't say which) to a certain level.  Changing this level might set off warnings on your dash that your tyre pressures are too low, or that it senses a loss of pressure.

You can disable this, but you lose a valuable function.  It may be possible to adjust TPMS levels, but I don't believe this is easy.

This is just a further thought to consider before you make any major adjustments.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:55 pm

Rocky wrote:Just a word of caution.  If your vehicle is fitted with TPMS - and I suspect it will be - then the TPMS sender units in each tyre will probably have been calibrated by Fiat or Peugeot (you don't say which) to a certain level.  Changing this level might set off warnings on your dash that your tyre pressures are too low, or that it senses a loss of pressure.

You can disable this, but you lose a valuable function.  It may be possible to adjust TPMS levels, but I don't believe this is easy.

This is just a further thought to consider before you make any major adjustments.
Yes - if the van has the TPMS as mine does, it will have been set in the factory around the cold tyre pressures shown on the tyre pressure label.  I found it was possible to run the tyres at slightly lower pressures without the TPMS being triggered.  However, I needed to drop my front tyres pressures more than this which a local Peugeot dealer eventually did for me.  

It's not possible to disable the TPMS.  If it's not functioning correctly because for example one of the TPMS sensors has stopped working, it will fail its MOT.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:32 pm

Rocky wrote:Just a word of caution.  If your vehicle is fitted with TPMS - and I suspect it will be - then the TPMS sender units in each tyre will probably have been calibrated by Fiat or Peugeot (you don't say which) to a certain level.  Changing this level might set off warnings on your dash that your tyre pressures are too low, or that it senses a loss of pressure.

What the F is TPMS??

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:58 am

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.  Peugeot describe it in their manual as Tyre under-inflation detection.  When you turn on the ignition all the warning lights on the dash will light up for a short while.  If one of these is the cross section of a tyre with an exclamation mark in it and is lit orange/amber, you have a TPMS.  It has been a legal requirement that all new passenger carrying vehicles since 2012 have it.  Not all campervans/motorhomes are classed as passenger carrying vehicles so not all have it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:45 am

TPMS is great in passenger cars, where the pressures are determined by the manufacturer, because the usage can be predicted with certainty and the pressures therefore universal. Not so great in van conversions, because the pressures are still determined by the base van manufacturer, but for operation as a goods vehicle. If mine was a goods vehicle it could be 500 kg heavier fully laden than it is, and the weight distribution could be very different increasing the rear axle load in particular. So those van pressures which TPMS enforces would be unnecessarily high. It wouldn’t do any harm other than ruining the ride quality and increasing wear on the centre of the tyre tread, though.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:24 am

v8oholic wrote:So those van pressures which TPMS enforces would be unnecessarily high. It wouldn’t do any harm other than ruining the ride quality and increasing wear on the centre of the tyre tread, though.

There is tolerance however.  Although mine state they should be set at 80psi (cold), I set them at 70psi, so that they run at (thereabout) 80psi when hot.  Have not had any issues with TPMS doing this.  The TPMS fitted to vans will be a mid-range system so tolerance may be variable.  The answer is to play with your settings and see what is acceptable to the system.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 pm

I've reduced the pressure from 80 to 70psi & noticed the difference, a better ride already.

I will reduce it further to 65psi like my old Symbol.

This TPMS thingy.....I can't see a tyre cross section among the warning lights so maybe I haven't got it, so that's a relief!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:34 pm

mikemelson wrote:I've reduced the pressure from 80 to 70psi & noticed the difference, a better ride already.

I will reduce it further to 65psi like my old Symbol.

This TPMS thingy.....I can't see a tyre cross section among the warning lights so maybe I haven't got it, so that's a relief!
Out of interest, what does the tyre pressure label say on your passenger door pillar?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:42 am

Caraman wrote:
Out of interest, what does the tyre pressure label say on your passenger door pillar?

Just had a look at passenger door pillar, it states 79.5psi all round, but surely that’s for a load carrying commercial van.

Also had a look at the tyres, they are Continental Vancocamper with a maximum pressure of 79.5psi!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:58 am

Very different to my 2021 Symbol then.

v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:11 pm

mikemelson wrote:

Just had a look at passenger door pillar, it states 79.5psi all round, but surely that’s for a load carrying commercial van.

Also had a look at the tyres, they are Continental Vancocamper with a maximum pressure of 79.5psi!
Well that's a surprise.  You have the same CP tyres as I do.  All that's different is that we have different axle masses.  79.5 psi equates to 5.5 bar which is the CP tyre's maximum permitted cold tyre pressure.  I am even more surprised that this pressure has been recommended for the front tyres.  In an earlier post I gave a link to Continental's data book which shows the pressures they recommend for each axle mass, which for the rear axle only are elevated pressures.  The pressures for the front tyres are lower and not dissimilar to an equivalent Commercial (C) van tyre of the type you used to have.  All I can advise is you load up your van - full fuel, LPG, AdBlue, windscreen washer, HW, fresh, grey and back water tanks (as you wild camp), passengers, food and everything else you take on a trip and record your highest axle masses on a weigh bridge.  Feed the figures into TyreSafe's on-line calculator which will give you a sensible pressure for your front tyres which will be nothing like 79.5 psi!  Unfortunately it will give you 80 psi or 5.5 bar for your rear tyres which is not helpful.  I suggest you add 10% to your rear axle mass and then see what rear pressure is recommended in Continental's data book for this mass.  Alternatively you could ask Continental as I have done.  By way of example only, my fully loaded axle masses are 1400 kg front and 1900 kg rear and for these masses +10% I run my front tyres at 3.3 bar (48 psi) and rear tyres at 5.5 bar (80 psi).  Your front axle mass will be higher than mine.  

Here is a photo of my tyre pressure label which is for the CP tyre:

The front tyre pressure of 5 bar (72.3 psi) was ridiculously high for my front axle mass which was confirmed by Continental.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanJohnson Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Never mind what the plate on the vehicle says or what the handbook says. Get the camper to a weigbridge then contact the tyre manufacturer or go to the Tyresafe website, thats the only way to be certain.
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:53 pm

AS have a FAQs section on their website, this is what they say about pressures.....

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 pm

Their short answer is the important one - unlike Bailey they don't recommend any tyre pressure as they haven't tested their motorhomes with different tyre pressures and don't want to take any responsibility for them.  The problem is Peugeot haven't tested them either so all they do is give the maximum tyre pressures allowed assuming each axle is at its maximum permitted mass plus a bit more.  If these pressures are used but the actual axle masses are significantly less, the front and/or rear tyres will be overinflated.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next