The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre pressures

+7
PLOUGHLIN
Dbvwt
TJB
Paulmold
Justus2
woodlice
Kdc
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tyre pressures Empty Tyre pressures

Post by Kdc Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:21 pm

I know that tyre pressures are a well worn path on forum but I would like to know what warwick xl  owners have settled on if moved away from figures on door plate.
The reason i ask is that i have not yet got my van to what i consider to be its touring weight,so not in a position to weighbridge it and follow the guide. At the mo it does feel a hard ride  but maybe thats the way it is. My tyres are 215 75 16C contivan contact 100. Door plate  pressures say 65f 70r.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Tyre pressures Empty Re: Tyre pressures

Post by woodlice Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm

I'm on the door plate 65 & 70 and the fronts look to me as if they could be a bit harder although the ride is harsh
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:48 pm

I moved mine up and down for a while but for a couple of years now have had them at 60 f 65 r .. the max pressure on the tyres is 69 anyway isn't it ? They look and feel fine.. I do find they need adjusting pre winter and pre summer due to ambient temperature changes.
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:06 pm

I use 60/65 on my Duo. I have Agilis tyres which have stiffer side walls so don't look under-inflated. Any higher pressure and the ride is hard and more things rattle.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by TJB Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:42 pm

My tyres on a Kingham are ContiVan Contact [url=tel:100 225/75]100 225/75[/url] R16 (C*) 118/116 R  
I provided continental with fully laden axle weights and a product support engineer in Rugby recommended the following pressures
Front Axle:  1700 Kg - 3.25 bar/ 47.1 psi (maximum weight for pressure given = 1800 kg) 

Rear Axle:  1690 Kg - 3.25 bar/ 47.1 psi (maximum weight for pressure given = 1800 kg)

He also added the following information;

“It is extremely likely that the relevant information supplied with the chassis is documented for use as a commercial vehicle, therefore proposed before the conversion to a motor home. For this reason, Continental tyres would always recommend having the motor home weighed on a weigh bridge at your heaviest travelling weight, including liquids to achieve specific axle weights. In some cases the coach builder will also put their recommended pressures on the vehicle plate. However, the majority put this to the maximum inflation pressure of the tyre to cover all loads being applied and not specific loads which often, are not near the plated weight you actually travel at. 

The volume and pressure of the inflation medium is what carries the load and if it is not sufficient then the tyre can suffer damage, hence why it is extremely important for the correct loads to be obtained, in order to inflate the tyre correctly”

I hope this helps
TJB
TJB

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 pm

As a newbie can I ask what thoughts people have regarding how insurance companies view pressures that vary so much from the commercial vehicle values which I’m sure are the ones on the base vehicle labels inside the door etc..
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:22 pm

TJB those are some intresting figures,arrived at form a reputable source. Don't think anyone has mentioned pressures of that value.
What i still cannot get my head round is that if the 65/70 on the door relates to max load then setting 47 to cover axle loads of 1800kg is close to max overall,(if my little knowledge is right that total weight is addition of both axle???).I think the whole subject would be a lot clearer if it was defined what the pressures on the door applied to,bearing in mind it they are probably there from build as a cargo van.Maybe AS ought to provide more guidance when supplying there modified vehicle.
Anyway,thanks for your input.Out of intrest do you find the ride unharsh (is that really a word?) at 47psi.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TJB Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:45 pm

The ride is fine. It was a very noticeable bone shaker when I picked it up as they had put them at 5 bar all round.  I had similar low pressures on a symbol recommended by Bridgestone. Those tyres were Bridgestone Duravis and didn’t seem to wear unevenly. I will be monitoring tyre wear across the whole width of my tyres looking out for uneven wear on the outside areas.
TJB
TJB

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Kdc, how did you get on with the tyre pressure monitoring system?
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:05 pm

For newer members with Continental Tyres, the Factsheet section has the Continental Tyre manual giving pressure for particular sizes including C tyres for various axle loads.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:09 pm

woodlice wrote:Kdc, how did you get on with the tyre pressure monitoring system?
If i have tyre pressure monitoring i havnt come across it yet.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:13 pm

I thought all the newer models have it, you should get a warning of low pressure come up on the dash. I hope your right and I haven't got it on a 17 plate as I would like to experiment with pressures verse harsh ride etc
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:54 pm

My 2015 Peugeot has TPMS. In order to adopt the pressures recommended by Continental, I had to pay my Peugeot dealer to reset the TPMS to much lower pressures.  I had to absolve them of responsibility. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Kdc wrote:
woodlice wrote:Kdc, how did you get on with the tyre pressure monitoring system?
If i have tyre pressure monitoring i havnt come across it yet.
Been standard on a boxer van (infact required by law on all light vehicles in Europe & USA I think) for some years now.
I thought these systems used the ABS sensor to detect under or over rotation of a tyre but the manual (P33) says "a pressure sensor is located in the valve of each tyre"

Last edited by AutoSleepy_Don on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Does anyone know the lowest pressures that the tpms will except as standard without giving a warning. My door plate says 65 & 72
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:27 pm

This thread always amuses me!
My Volvo, 2001, estate has 30psi all round, I have no idea whether this is correct or not!
My Warwick Duo has 60psi front and 65 psi rear, I have no idea if this is correct also??
What I DO know is that after more than 20000 miles and 2 different tyres and motorway speeds of more than 80Mph, I am still alive!!
I am sure that anything more than 50psi all round wound't be life threatening!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:13 pm

IanH wrote:
My Warwick Duo has 60psi front and 65 psi rear, I have no idea if this is correct also??
What I DO know is that after more than 20000 miles and 2 different tyres and motorway speeds of more than 80Mph, I am still alive!!
My Warwick too, well F59 R60. I think these are the pressures on the door pillars.
My van came with and is still wearing the OE "Bridgestone Duravis". I see no good reason to change them.
My GPS says I have been a bit faster than you and after 7,000 miles I too am still alive. Ride and handling are better than I expected for a PVC.
Tyre pressures 2019-010
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 am

I don't have an AS but to support the Conrinental info these are my weights and this recommendation...

ContiVanco Camper 225/75 R16 (CP*) 116 R tyres. 

Front Axle: 1600 Kg - 3.0 bar/ 43.5 psi (max weight for pressure given = 1730 kg) 

Rear Axle: 1820 Kg - 3.75 bar/ 54.3 psi (max weight for pressure given = 1840 kg)  

I admit they do sometimes look a little under inflated at these levels, I'm currently running at 50 front, 60 rear as we are doing many highish speed journeys. 

the ride is fine....however, following a base vehicle service it was immediately apparent that the helpful garage had put around 80 psi in all round.....not nice.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Tyre pressures Empty tyre pressures...what have i learnt?

Post by Kdc Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 am

So what have i learnt from my initial enquiry re tyre pressures?
I am still not sure who has the definitive answer.The vehicle manufacture and the tyre companys do not seem to agree,makes me wonder where the vehicle builder gets their information for their figures.
Without tpms you can go with either or a personal preference,with tpms you can do the same but there are concequeces as manufacture pressure values are set in vehicles "brain".
We all get round it in by choosing which to go with but whilst making it right for us who knows whats right for the vehicle????? Back to square one!!!
I dont know why the tpms as we have it is so user unfriendly,i can set what ever i like on my car and it will operate if value goes below that,possibley our vans are not that technically apt.
With what i have learned more questions now arrise......If/when i change my tyres,as i have tpms does that now mean whatever i fit has to be inflated to match tpms? Dont seem right.If i have to replace one tyre due to damage whats the score with replacing the valve which i beleive is the source of monitoring?
I can see why this subject goes round and round. Another thought,where do we stand with insurance should they question tyre pressure after an accident,whos figure would they work on?
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:58 am

Kdc, good summary that's the way I see it and it's not great news
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Tyre pressures Empty Tyre pressure-tpms settings.

Post by Kdc Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Wasn't going to say anymore on the subject but have happened on a figure which some may find intresting/useful.The pressure which direct tpms (type fitted to peugeot )is set to operate.According to website yourtyres.co.uk (tyre pressure monitoring)which is aimed at information for garages and workshops, tpms should be set to operate at 20% of vehicles stated values.If this is actually the case it gives a bit of leeway to lessen tyre pressure without triggering warning,should you wish to do so.

Last edited by Kdc on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing info)
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:03 pm

There was a thread on this; a summary is this:

Success!

Well, it's been a long saga. In summary, having weighed the axles with the Nuevo fully laden (with bikes etc) and having consulted  Continental's table of tyre pressures for my tyres, I wanted to run my vehicle at 55 / 75 psi. Those pressures are less than the Peugot plate's generic figures for a Boxer. So when I lowered the pressures to what I wanted, they triggered the TPMS alarm. So now I wanted (a) the alarm cancelled; and (b) the TPMS re-set to warn me only if the pressures drop to 50 / 70 psi.

(a) is not possible to do this [cancel alarm] without access to the TPMS ECU. There is no reset button for the user to do the task. The TPMS should normally be OK after, say, repairing a puncture, but if the alarm persists then it's a job for a garage.

(b) After much faffing around, the key to getting this done [re-setting TPMS pressures] was the statement which A/S are giving owners who wish to have the TMPS reset: they say The Peugeot Homologation and External Relations team have advised that 'The tyre pressures that the customer wishes to have (provided they have authorisation from the tyre manufacturer) can be recorded into the TPMS ECU. To do this the vehicle will need to go to an authorised repairer who has access to the diagnostic tool.' "

My Peugeot dealer has today done the job (£39!!). I had to acknowledge that the pressures which I wanted the TPMS to record are lower than the Peugeot recommended 5.0 bar / 5.5 bar. I was also advised that there would probably be increased tyre wear - though that didn't bother me because in my experience with motorhomes it is necessary to change tyres because of age before they wear out.

At last I'm there. It runs sweetly at 55 / 75 - and that's what Continental recommend. 

Cymro

You'll see that I got them to reset mine so as to trigger an alarm at 50 / 70 psi. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:09 pm

My post may be of interest when thinking about how the TPMS  works.  I have never triggered the alarm on the van but on a heavily laden journey in our VW Polo, the alarm sounded. I could tell there was no immediate and drastic change in pressure so pulled into a motorway service station and checked the tyres with my toe (!)  and fingers... no obvious loss.  At home I checked again and each pressure was as it should be.  At this point I consulted the manual and learnt that 'The Tyre Pressure Loss Indicator uses data from the ABS sensors and other functions to check the speed of rotation and the rolling circumference of the individual wheels. Any change in the rolling circumference of one or more wheels is shown by the Tyre Pressure Loss Indicator'.  Immediately before the alarm went off, we drove at motorway speed over a very rough bit of motorway and I am now convinced that this may momentarily have slowed the nearside wheels and caused the alarm to be activated. I'm not sure whether the same system operates in a Peugeot van.
merv

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Merv....the sytem you describe is indirect monitoring and operates as you describe. The system on the peugeot is direct monitoring which is a sensor inside the tyre on the back of the valve and responds to the actual pressure in the tyre.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:15 pm

Cymro, what was your vehicles original plated pressures? Mine are 65 - 72
woodlice