The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elderly guy 1997 Harmony roof leak

3 posters

Go down

Elderly guy 1997 Harmony roof leak  Empty Elderly guy 1997 Harmony roof leak

Post by James Dick Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:09 pm

I am elderly and have a "Harmony" high roof van which has taken several years to get in top condition,
The last job is to uncover and deal with a potentially rain water leak. 
The seam where the high top joins with a rain water gutter is masked by a substantial rubber moulding running it's entire length 
How best to ease this off to trace the origin of a rust stain is my problem 
Plan is to peel off 18 inch length at the rear and deal with the possible hole into the habitation area.
Any advice will be enough to ease my doubts and possibly to achieve the best solution.     A lot of heartache and funds has brought the van to its sound reliable present condition.
84 so could do with a wee help 
Thanks   
James
James Dick
James Dick

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Elderly guy 1997 Harmony roof leak  Empty Re: Elderly guy 1997 Harmony roof leak

Post by Roopert Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:04 pm

James - before you take any drastic actions, what specific evidence do you have that the leak is coming through that joint? It may well be that you can see evidence of rust, or bulging of the high top where it meets the body of the van?

Is the rust stain purely on the outside, or are you getting rusty water inside as well?

I ask because it's fairly rare to get significant leaks along that joint, and leaks around the high top windows are far more common - and can sometimes be deceptive, as the water can track quite a long way sideways.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

James Dick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Elderly guy 1997 Harmony roof leak  Empty Re: Elderly guy 1997 Harmony roof leak

Post by James Dick Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:26 pm

Hi thanks 
Rust stain comes from under the rubber moulding 
If I could gently peal this away 12 inches from the end to check the position of the actual rust then I hope to stop it in its  tracks
The moulding is substantial and I do not know how it is held in place.
James Dick
James Dick

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:46 am

At around that time I think that A/S used two different systems, but I'm not sure why. The one on my Flair of around the same time was mounted on stainless steel stand-offs which were bonded to the lowest part of the roof, with nylon bolts holding the outer (thin) moulding on. But there were others where the moulding appears to be bonded directly onto the gutter - which seems to be what you have.

There have been a small number of threads here in the past where people have tried to remove the latter type, and from what I can recall, they simply break. I can't recall anyone describing a way to get them off complete. So it may be that you will have to cut away just enough of the moulding to be able to access the rusty area, and then bond the piece back on when that's done.

I'm sorry that I can't suggest anything easier. It may be worth doing a forum search (for example for "gutter trim" or "gutter moulding" or "roof moulding") to see if anything turns up that I've not seen, or have since forgotten.

Good luck!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

jerry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Elderly guy 1997 Harmony roof leak  Empty Rust under roof moulding above windows

Post by Anne58 Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:54 am

Hi James 
As we have a similar problem on our Trident I’m interested in if and how you managed to resolve this problem. Do you have any recommendations or a suggested repairer? I hope you were successful,
Best wishes
Anne
Anne58
Anne58

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down