The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When to change tyres ?

+10
cibaker
Caraman
Roopert
IanH
Cymro
The Bargee
Tinwheeler
Rocky
Dbvwt
Bill
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

When to change tyres ? Empty When to change tyres ?

Post by Bill Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:06 pm

I have a 2017 Symbol with the original tyres.  I have done 35 years of caravanning and was always told to change tyres after 5 years old and certainly not over 7 years old irrespective on how good the tread looked.

Does the same principal apply to campervans.  Bill.
Bill
Bill

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

When to change tyres ? Empty Re: When to change tyres ?

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:51 pm

I have a 2018 Symbol and despite the tyres looking fine with plenty of tread, I’ve also thought about the same?
Obviously safety is paramount but my gut feeling is to listen to the MOT tester and also my service guys, I will definitely be changing them at 7 years though whatever.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:55 pm

I would certainly apply the same rules, and have done in the past - irrespective of mileage.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:55 pm

I carried out a Google search and came up with this.  TyreSafe say it's up to the tyre manufacturer.  Continental say 10 years but for specific applications (like motorhomes) advice should be sought from the vehicle manufacturer.  Peugeot slope shoulders to the converter.  A-S say more care after 5 years and replace between 6 - 10 years depending on how the tyre has been used and maintained.  Michelin say 5 years to reduce possible effects of prolonged periods not being used.  Practical Motorhome say every 5 years, MMM say every 5 or 6 years.  CAMC say 5 years but never more than 7 years.  CCC say a maximum of 7 years.  Safe Guard Insurance say 5 to 7 years.  Just Kamper Insurance and Horton Common say 6 years. Eden Tyres & Servicing say any tyre older than 5-6 years needs replacing.

My tyres will be 6 years old in Nov this year when I plan to upgrade them to a better tyre.  If I wasn't upgrading I might stretch this to 7 years but I do take care of my tyres.  When the van is out of use its on jacks and the wheels covered.  At the start of every trip and long journey I check and adjust the pressures and after every trip I inspect the tyres carefully and remove any stones etc from the tread which is easy to do on jacks.  On the downside I only use my van on average once a month - they say that tyres should be driven on for at least an hour every week to prolong their life - and currently they are summer tyres which I use in winter conditions.

I may keep the spare for a maximum of 10 years but if I use it, reduce my speed as if it's a space saver.

Last edited by Caraman on Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Cymro and Bakfoot66 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:03 pm

I’ve applied that same recommendation to my car as well as to several MHs and caravans. There are usually cracks to be seen after 5-7 years.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:19 pm

I was under the impression that six to seven years was the recommended maximum for car tyres as well, although I have never worried about it because I always wear them out well before that. In present potholed times I would be even more suspicious of running on old tyres due to the possibility of invisible delaminations in the side walls.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:21 am

An excellent contribution from Caraman (above) summarising research.

I change motorhome tyres every 7 years (unless prior need). I also drive the van for a run every 3 weeks minimum.  Currently on Continental Vancontact Camper CP .

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:18 am

All good stuff but one aspect so far not mentioned.....

Black Circles, to name just one, I asked for a quote for my car tyres. Competitive price wise. Then I told him I wouldn't accept any more than 6 months old.

He, immediately, and quite angrily said they have no control over tyre age and consider anything up to 5 yrs since manufacture to be "new".

Being polite as on here told him thanks but not a hope in hell of getting near my car, or words to that effect.

Went to one of my local ones, got the exact tyres I wanted and less than 16 weeks old.......

If a tyre is in storage for, potentially 5 years you have no knowledge of how stored, exposed to UV light, stacked tens high etc etc, so, beware....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Rocky and orac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:34 am

Very good point, Ian. I mentioned that to my local tyre supplier with whom I have a longstanding and good relationship, and my new tyres were only a month or so old.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:04 pm

IanH wrote:Then I told him I wouldn't accept any more than 6 months old.

I can understand the point but... if everyone adopts this approach it will have consequences.

The first is straight cost - if a tyre sits in a warehouse somewhere until it's more than 6 months old, its value drops to scrap value. Someone, somewhere will pay for this.

And second it will make manufacturers less and less inclined to manufacture batches of relatively rare tyres where the level of sales is low. We will see more cases where you simply cannot get a specific tyre, because no manufacturer will risk making it and then having it go "BBE" on them.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:10 pm

To make my point, Roopert.

I never accept any tyre more than 6 months old...end of. We have no control over storage. I really don't care what/how the manufacturers cope with this, their problem, not mine.

I deal with just one tyre dealer here for all my tyres. They agree with me re tyre build date and always accommodate my needs, when we used Michelin on the Warwick Duo they even contacted Michelin direct and we/I got what not only I wanted but what I was paying for.

The price I pay is more or less exactly the same as comparable online prices, so I am not paying more than anyone else

As an aircraft engineer and more than aware of tyre storage, which for them, is a different case I will agree, but rest assured they are never stacked in a warehouse, indeed most are on wheels and already part inflated. May surprise you to know that many are retreads too!!

As always on here, each to their own but that's my choice as above and that's how it'll always be.

BTW the current van is on normal white van man van tyres, were on there when I go it, less than 1 yr old then, still only 3yrs old and have been totally fine, and that's what I'll replace them with when that time comes. up!

This tyre was on the Warwick Duo, less than 5 years old and at only 13000miles...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:30 pm

IanH wrote:how the manufacturers cope with this, their problem, not mine.

Correction Ian: it ends up as our problem.

Because if everyone gets so fussy that they won't accept tyres over 6 months old, then no tyre over 6 months old will get sold - they will have to be thrown away.

Now, let me think... what will that do the price of tyres? Then it won't just be a problem for the manufacturers...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cibaker Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:32 am

How can you tell how old tyres are? Is there a date stamp on tyres? 
I have recently purchased a 2014 Duo and the tyres look reasonably new however the vehicle has only covered 7000 miles from new.
They have no visible discolouration or cracking so is there a way of checking when they were manufactured?
cibaker
cibaker

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:40 am

Roopert wrote:

Correction Ian: it ends up as our problem.

Because if everyone gets so fussy that they won't accept tyres over 6 months old, then no tyre over 6 months old will get sold - they will have to be thrown away.

Now, let me think... what will that do the price of tyres? Then it won't just be a problem for the manufacturers...
Correction (again) Roopert

This ends up as YOUR problem, not mine.....As your only reason d'etre seems to me to disagree which much of what I post on here, I offer a solution....You ignore my posts/answers, I'll ignore yours............

Tyre price is largely irrelevant to me, this is a luxury hobby, and as long as I can afford it I'll do exactly what I want..... rolleyes
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:40 am

cibaker - Yes.  Stamped on either the inside or outside wall of the tyre will be 4 numbers.  The last two numbers show the year of manufacture and first two numbers show the week of manufacture 1-52 in that year.  So for example, code 1316 means the tyre was manufactured in week 13 of 2016.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

cibaker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:44 am

Caraman wrote:Cibaker - Yes.  Stamped on either the inside or outside of the tyre will be 4 numbers.  The last two numbers show the year of manufacture and first two numbers show the week of manufacture 1-52 in that year.  So for example, code 1316 means the tyre was manufactured in week 13 of 2016.

And here's an example:

Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

cibaker, Bakfoot66, Caraman and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:48 am

Rocky overlapped me, here's my example....this tyre made in week 47 of 2018!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

cibaker and Bakfoot66 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:05 am

cibaker wrote:How can you tell how old tyres are? Is there a date stamp on tyres? 
I have recently purchased a 2014 Duo and the tyres look reasonably new however the vehicle has only covered 7000 miles from new.
They have no visible discolouration or cracking so is there a way of checking when they were manufactured?
It will be interesting to hear when your tyres were manufactured.  If they are the original tyres they may be over 10 years old and desperately in need of replacing, especially as your van has presumably had long periods of inactivity and infrequent use, which cause tyres to age prematurely
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:28 am

Especially when you see this one (all 4 were similar, and less than 5 years old and less than 13000 miles from new) Sadly I don't have the manufacture date for the tyres......!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cibaker Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:00 am

Thank for all the replies, Caraman I will check my tyres when I get home from work(hopefully in time to watch the rugby). smile!
cibaker
cibaker

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:31 am

IanH wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Especially when you see this one (all 4 were similar, and less than 5 years old and less than 13000 miles from new) Sadly I don't have the manufacture date for the tyres......!
Ian - where they C tyres?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:36 am

Not 100% sure, they were the originals I think, bought the van 2nd hand but was 5 yrs old.
Therefore, probably as fitted by AS?
Soon as I saw this inter tread cracking, binned all 4 and replaced with Michelin Agilis, less than 6 month's old!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:11 pm

IanH wrote:Not 100% sure, they were the originals I think, bought the van 2nd hand but was 5 yrs old.
Therefore, probably as fitted by AS?
Soon as I saw this inter tread cracking, binned all 4 and replaced with Michelin Agilis, less than 6 month's old!!!
If your current van is 2002 and this was an older van, it may have been supplied with C tyres like your current van, as CP tyres as far as I am aware weren't introduced until 2003.  

In my earlier post I quoted Michelin as saying tyres should be replaced after 5 years.  This came from a 2021 technical bulletin that Michelin sent me but having looked at it again, I quoted out of context.  Their recommendation applied specifically to C tyres used on motorhomes.  They didn't give a recommendation for CP tyres but one might assume it would be longer.  

The cracks in your photo are similar to cracks on my 5 year 4 month old Continental summer CP tyres which I have been monitoring carefully for the last couple of years.  They are not getting any worse and are not as bad as the ones in your photo or have been shown by other Forum members on their Continental CP tyres.  When I have my MOT done, I may draw it to their attention.  I confident it won't be a fail but maybe an advisory.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:34 pm

No, the Warwick Duo they were on was 2013 build, not older than the Exec....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:34 pm

IanH wrote:
Correction (again) Roopert

This ends up as YOUR problem, not mine.....As your only reason d'etre seems to me to disagree which much of what I post on here, I offer a solution....You ignore my posts/answers, I'll ignore yours............

Tyre price is largely irrelevant to me, this is a luxury hobby, and as long as I can afford it I'll do exactly what I want..... rolleyes

Price may be irrelevant to you, but it's not to me.

Feel free to ignore what I say. I don't mind.

I'll comment on things that you say when they appear to be advising others to do things that are self-centred and may have an adverse effect on other people.

It seems you are not aware, but lower-volume tyres are made in batches, so unless you happen to buy at the correct time, you may have to accept that the last batch was made a little while ago. There is nothing sacrosanct about a tyre that is less than six months old, and to suggest that there is simply misleads people.

What you suggest is not a rational "solution" of any sort - it's just a "push to the front - me first" approach.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Suppersready likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next