The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Banks

+2
Melaniewymer
Bill
6 posters

Go down

Power Banks Empty Power Banks

Post by Bill Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:43 am

Back in August I asked for members views on the large power banks now being marketed and most of the comments were quite negative with the majority of people preferring the route of increasing battery and solar power on the vehicle.
I was interested in the Ecoflow Delta 2 which retailed at £1,099 so not cheap !  Fairly recently Amazon had a sale for Prime users and reduced this power bank to £699 for just 2 days so I thought I would take a chance.
I am on my own and I often use my Symbol as a 'dayvan' and have already found the powerbank very useful.
I can plug the Symbol in to the inverter and get short term charging to the leisure and vehicles batteries and while connected also use the microwave.  While away for short periods have also tried a small 2 litre air fryer, electric kettle, a coffee machine and a single induction hob not to mention using my power washer on it to save running an extension lead from the house.  Bill.
Bill
Bill

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

v8oholic, groundhog, Melaniewymer, andyh, Spoonvet and Tinwheeler like this post

Back to top Go down

Power Banks Empty Re: Power Banks

Post by Melaniewymer Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:40 pm

Hi Bill - just to clarify then - when you say you plugged your “Symbol into the inverter” do you mean you plugged the van into the powerbank using the usual EHU connector / adaptor version?
Melaniewymer
Melaniewymer

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:28 pm

Melaniewymer wrote:Hi Bill - just to clarify then - when you say you plugged your “Symbol into the inverter” do you mean you plugged the van into the powerbank using the usual EHU connector / adaptor version?
Yes thanks right.  I just plug my short EHU lead (10M) and 13 amp 3 pin adapter into my Symbol Mains plug which keeps my vehicle and leisure battery topped up through the Sargent system if there is not enough power coming from the solar panel.  I haven't tried but my power bank, with maximum output of 1,800 watts, is not powerful enough, I don't think, to run charging, heating and hot water.  The only downside is that the power bank has to be on the outside i.e. in the awning where it could be vulnerable.  Something else I have done is put a CTEK connector on to my leisure battery and if needed can charge this with the power bank from inside the van.
I suppose the most use I make of my power bank, when off grid, is powering my induction hob and Dolce Gusto coffee machine !  Bill.
Bill
Bill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:33 pm

It sounds like a neatly packaged ca. 90 ah battery and 1800 watt inverter, which can be charged from the mains or from a max. 10 amp 12 volt source (so could be charged whilst driving from the lighter socket perhaps). Very neat but a tad pricy even at £699. As Bill says though if you can find other uses, down the garden or to keep a freezer going during a power cut then it could pay its way well. I would look at the rain cover carefully before using it for any heavy loads: possible risk of overheating??

I had a similar home made setup when needing mains power to work on riverbanks with no mains power available. Perfect for small tools etc.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:52 pm

Must be v heavy and bulky, so where do you keep it in a Symphony, do you have to move it to get to something else?

Also really can't understand the need for all that power???? Do you do on site welding?!!! scratch head
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:37 am

Does it come with a solar regulator and portable solar panels?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:19 am

IanH wrote:Must be v heavy and bulky, so where do you keep it in a Symphony, do you have to move it to get to something else?

Also really can't understand the need for all that power???? Do you do on site welding?!!! scratch head
I am getting on for 80 years of age and find it very easy to lift up and carry.  I actually have a Symbol and it resides in the space between the two front seats.
I don't consider it a lot of power and very seldom have mains hookup when away and do love my 230V devices e.g. induction hob. toaster, coffee maker , laptop charger etc. etc.
Bill
Bill

Male

v8oholic and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:24 am

Caraman wrote:Does it come with a solar regulator and portable solar panels?
Unfortunately the solar panels come as extras and are quite expensive.  I got a 4 panel 220W solar panel, which was about one third of the price,  but it looked and worked as new.
Bill
Bill

Male

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:04 am

Bill wrote:
I am getting on for 80 years of age and find it very easy to lift up and carry.  I actually have a Symbol and it resides in the space between the two front seats.
I don't consider it a lot of power and very seldom have mains hookup when away and do love my 230V devices e.g. induction hob. toaster, coffee maker , laptop charger etc. etc.
IF I was doing a self build it wouldn't have gas at all, just as much solar area as the roof could take, then, yes, induction hob, compressor fridge etc etc as you say.

As we don't use EHU much either we manage with just the 130w solar and a 130Ah lead acid LB, indeed never been short of electricity, however if I had your needs I'd have to reconsider!! up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:24 am

IanH wrote:
IF I was doing a self build it wouldn't have gas at all, just as much solar area as the roof could take, then, yes, induction hob, compressor fridge etc etc as you say.

As we don't use EHU much either we manage with just the 130w solar and a 130Ah lead acid LB, indeed never been short of electricity, however if I had your needs I'd have to reconsider!! up!
I follow several campervan self build videos on YouTube and the in thing seems to be no gas these days although it doesn't seem to have taken off with many manufacturers yet !  There also seems to have been a major improvement and market with solar panels and the electronics to control them in recent years.  Bill.
Bill
Bill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:13 am

No gas is unlikely to be a feature of continental converters yet, I'd have thought. LPG is still available on most medium to large service station forecourts in most countries I've toured. It's only really the UK where it's harder to find, and one or two other places (Denmark for example). If self building then it makes sense because you don't need a gas installer, and don't need an underslung tank, or to fabricate a locker accessible only from the outside for bottles. It would suit me. I have never used my oven or grill. An induction hob and more cupboard space would be perfect!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:37 am

v8oholic wrote:No gas is unlikely to be a feature of continental converters yet, I'd have thought. LPG is still available on most medium to large service station forecourts in most countries I've toured. It's only really the UK where it's harder to find, and one or two other places (Denmark for example). If self building then it makes sense because you don't need a gas installer, and don't need an underslung tank, or to fabricate a locker accessible only from the outside for bottles. It would suit me. I have never used my oven or grill. An induction hob and more cupboard space would be perfect!
and no gas drop holes in the floor.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:15 pm

v8oholic wrote:No gas is unlikely to be a feature of continental converters yet, I'd have thought. LPG is still available on most medium to large service station forecourts in most countries I've toured. It's only really the UK where it's harder to find, and one or two other places (Denmark for example). If self building then it makes sense because you don't need a gas installer, and don't need an underslung tank, or to fabricate a locker accessible only from the outside for bottles. It would suit me. I have never used my oven or grill. An induction hob and more cupboard space would be perfect!
I fully agreed with you.  I think another reason for no gas is a safety feature as I understand a lot of motorhome fires are gas related.
Bill
Bill

Male

Back to top Go down