The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

more power needed

5 posters

Go down

more power needed Empty more power needed

Post by crocket Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Hi,new member have a Symphony 2.5 non turbo with 112k on it ,put new ~Henry boiler/airides/deadlocks/cambelt/kit etc.Find it OK on the flat bits but no power on hills. Would another more powerful engine fit or what would converting to a turbo consist of? Am reasonably mechanicaly minded and could possibly pick turbo bits up second hand. Reguards Chris
crocket
crocket

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

more power needed Empty Re: more power needed

Post by dandywarhol Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi crocket - don't know what a Hendry boiler is but did it lack power before the cam belt was changed?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi Chris and welcome to the Forum
Can't be of any help cos I've got a VW but we know a man who can........Bartfarst where are you?
Cheers
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 pm

stevomar wrote:Bartfarst where are you?

I'm here Stevo!

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the 2.5D non-Turbo. It would be worth looking into the torque curves for this engine and seeing how they compare with the Turbo versions to determine what the potential advantage would be. However other engine modiications may also be required when you fit a turbo, such as a different camshaft and perhaps a different injection pump - again I'm not sure. You could always try a mega engine swap to a 2.3JTD or a 2.8JTD (see my other posts in Technical section regaring a 2.0JTD DW10 engine conversion) but this is a major task. Asides I hear bad things about the DW12 engine (2.2HDi) which seems to suffer from a disproportionate number of head gasket problems - loads of spares or repair vehicles crop up on eBay - so I would be tempted to avoid that engine.

At the end of the day it depends what kind of performance you would be happy with. I know of some who are still content with even the 1.9D non-turbo, accepting poor hill performance as a given. Turbo and HDi/JTD engines tend to yield a higher torque across a wider range of engine revs which has to be good for overall performance.

Sorry not able to give specific advice but hopefully it will trigger others to chip in.

Stuart aka Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Bartfarst wrote:
stevomar wrote:Bartfarst where are you?

I'm here Stevo!

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the 2.5D non-Turbo. It would be worth looking into the torque curves for this engine and seeing how they compare with the Turbo versions to determine what the potential advantage would be. However other engine modiications may also be required when you fit a turbo, such as a different camshaft and perhaps a different injection pump - again I'm not sure. You could always try a mega engine swap to a 2.3JTD or a 2.8JTD (see my other posts in Technical section regaring a 2.0JTD DW10 engine conversion) but this is a major task. Asides I hear bad things about the DW12 engine (2.2HDi) which seems to suffer from a disproportionate number of head gasket problems - loads of spares or repair vehicles crop up on eBay - so I would be tempted to avoid that engine.

At the end of the day it depends what kind of performance you would be happy with. I know of some who are still content with even the 1.9D non-turbo, accepting poor hill performance as a given. Turbo and HDi/JTD engines tend to yield a higher torque across a wider range of engine revs which has to be good for overall performance.

Sorry not able to give specific advice but hopefully it will trigger others to chip in.

Stuart aka Bartfarst

Head gasket/cam belt AND injectors seizing in due to the perennial Pug/Citroen problem of engine bay water ingress shrugg

I've a friend who designed a 12 tonne puller to remove them - any more and the injector body stretches!!..and that's with a push in injector held in by screws and a plate!!

PSA have a lot to answer for - this problem mainly is confined to the C8 and 8007 Pug but I'd be checking any PSA vehicle with the HDI engine for water ingress! - Dealers are asking £6k to replace the engine!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

more power needed Empty 2.5 Turbo Diesel Engine

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi Crocket,

Can't help with the technical side of things, (I was a "Boy Sparky" not a mechanic!) but just to say we have a 1995 Symphony fitted with the 2.5 Turbo engine, which has done 76K+, and it works a treat.
There is more than enough power, even on hills, and when the Turbo kicks in you do really feel the difference. Not that we're ever going to beat any speed records, but the low down torque is also really useful, particularly as we have a very weak synchro on 2nd gear and means we can often use third gear, right down to very low road speeds.
We seem to be getting about 30mpg over a range of driving conditions and loadings, which considering the rather unsophisticated nature of the engine is just about acceptable.

Hope this helps in any future plans.

regards

Jeff and Di allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz
Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down