The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol - Paddleboard and wet walking gear!

+3
Peter Brown
Spoonvet
kkell2000
7 posters

Go down

Symbol - Paddleboard and wet walking gear! Empty Symbol - Paddleboard and wet walking gear!

Post by kkell2000 Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:04 am

Hi all - first time poster here!

I am collecting my first Symbol in a few weeks and starting to think about some practicalities (things I probably should have considered earlier!) but am hoping you will have some great hints and tips.

I am a keen hiker and paddle boarder and so the Symbol will be great for me in Snowdonia and the Lakes - I don't want anything longer and so I know there needs to be some compromises.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best place to store a paddle board (when packed is about 120 cm x 60cm x 60cm).

Also, how do you manage muddy walking boots and wet walking coat and trousers etc? 

Apologies for the naive questions :)

Thanks.
kkell2000
kkell2000

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Symbol - Paddleboard and wet walking gear! Empty Re: Symbol - Paddleboard and wet walking gear!

Post by Spoonvet Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:27 am

Hello

difficult to see how you could store the paddleboard inside - a bile rack with a box fitted may offer enough storage? Muddy boots - store under the van! Or in the loo when you hang your wet gear in there? Not sure about roof storage options?

Someone will prob comment and ask you to introduce yourself in the new members section.
Spoonvet
Spoonvet
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 57
Vehicle Year : 2008

kkell2000 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Symbol - Paddleboard and wet walking gear! Empty Re: Symbol - Paddleboard and wet walking gear!

Post by Peter Brown Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:29 am

The first thing we do when we bring a new van home is move the habitation carpets to the loft where they away until we sell the van. Some use washable mats but we prefer the bare floor and flip flops.

You are safe to open the awning about 9 inches and leave it there to minimise rain entering through the side door on arriving back with dirty boots and wet clothes, we would step into the van one at a time, first in removes coat and into the shower to drip and boots on an old towel front of drivers seat then second follows same procedure.

We did use a drive away awning for a while but packing that away wet and drying when we got home was too much of a bother.

Cant help with paddle board.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:41 am

By dimensions your paddle board is inflatable. Other than rack on rear the only option I see you have is to travel with it on floor inside sliding door then transfers it to one of front seats on site or keep it outside which would require some means of making it secure if you left it out.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:00 pm

My Paddleboard sits on the van floor when travelling. At night or during daytime when it’s not being used it just about squeezes between the front seats (obviously deflated and in its bag). It will also happily fit on the drivers seat.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

kkell2000 and Spoonvet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:32 am

When we got our bike rack, I found a place that would make bags to custom sizes and did one to fit. (Boxes were expensive and I didn't want to crush the bike-wheel fixings on the base.)

It's worked pretty well for things like our inflatable kayak.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It does look rather better when fully-packed, though, e.g. with tent and sleeping mattresses!

quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus

Back to top Go down

Post by kkell2000 Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:48 am

Peter Brown wrote:The first thing we do when we bring a new van home is move the habitation carpets to the loft where they away until we sell the van.  Some use washable mats but we prefer the bare floor and flip flops.

You are safe to open the awning about 9 inches and leave it there to minimise rain entering through the side door on arriving back with dirty boots and wet clothes, we would step into the van one at a time, first in removes coat and into the shower to drip and boots on an old towel front of drivers seat then second follows same procedure.

We did use a drive away awning for a while but packing that away wet and drying when we got home was too much of a bother.

Cant help with paddle board.
Thanks - my plan was to use the awning to get wet stuff into a box before getting into the van but then I read that it shouldn't be used in wet/wind so its helpful to know that I can open it a little.
kkell2000
kkell2000

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kkell2000 Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:52 am

quentinsf wrote:When we got our bike rack, I found a place that would make bags to custom sizes and did one to fit. (Boxes were expensive and I didn't want to crush the bike-wheel fixings on the base.)

It's worked pretty well for things like our inflatable kayak.

It does look rather better when fully-packed, though, e.g. with tent and sleeping mattresses!

Ah yes I think a bike rack might be the way to go thanks - to scared to have a trailer of any description! Will be a big enough change driving the van!
kkell2000
kkell2000

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:39 pm

smile!

If we have bigger wet stuff, we do tow it behind. smile!  Can't do both at present, though, because our bike rack mounts on our tow bar.

quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sagabike Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:24 pm

Last edited by Sagabike on Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Text)
Sagabike
Sagabike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sagabike Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:27 pm

Pyranha Burn will fit down the seating area of our Warwick and all the wet kit goes in the toilet compartment if moving off site
Sagabike
Sagabike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick

Back to top Go down