The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mounting Solar Panels

3 posters

Go down

Mounting Solar Panels Empty Mounting Solar Panels

Post by The Bargee Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:24 pm

I am just starting to think about improving the solar on my Kingham. What is the feeling about mounting the panels to the standard roof rails please? These seem to be secured at the ends (presumably by bolts but I can't see) and by three intermediate brackets with 6mm (?) bolts, so five points each side but the actual rails are only pop riveted to the brackets. I am not sure how cosmetic these rails are!

If permissible my thinking is to bracket aluminium cross angles (say 40 x40) to the rails and then bolt the panels between these. The advantage of using the rails is that I can fit 1500 panels and there will be a good gap under them for cooling / cleaning.

All suggestions welcomed thank you.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Mounting Solar Panels Empty Re: Mounting Solar Panels

Post by Dbvwt Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:51 pm

The standard bars are just cosmetic not load bearing. I think it was Freelander that fitted bars for his solar.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:16 pm

its on my kemerton xl improvement post
to remove and fit thule rails
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:30 pm

Sorry Glyne, I knew someone had fitted the bars!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:41 pm

Thanks. So everything I read tells me that the roof rails are cosmetic only, and I can see that the roof will not be load bearing just based on the contact area of the roof rails.

I will explain what I want to do. I have been offered a couple of 200 watt Victron panels at an extremely advantageous cost, and I love Victron gear, but these panels are about 1500 x 700. They will fit nicely across the van at two points between roof lights, except that the roof rails are in the way. They weigh 11kg each. 

I have a Thule Omnistore fitted, which I don't really want but I don't want to take it off either just in case I decide to use it.

I don't really want all the hassle of taking the existing rails off and sealing up holes, having followed Glyne's very useful post, and others.

I don't seem to be able to find largish panels 160 watt+ that will fit between the rails, i.e. less than 1300mm long and less than 700 wide. I could settle for smaller panels but if I am doing the job I might as well go for the largest output within reason! The panel suppliers are a PITA because you have to really search to find the actual panel dimensions, if they tell you at all!

My latest thought is that on the near side I can make brackets off the tops of the awning adaptors, which would appear to have a suitable load spreading design and are located on the standard locating T-pillars (which I understand are not load bearing in themselves). It would seem I can buy Omnistore brackets to do the same job on the other side. So each panel could be supported off four Omnistore brackets. Has anybody looked at doing this, or done it?? At the end of the day we are only talking about 11kg panels, not heavy boats or roof boxes, but I don't know what the lift factors might be.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:34 pm

renogy 175w panel 1262 x 699 x 35 mm
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

The Bargee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:02 pm

glyne lock wrote:renogy 175w panel 1262 x 699 x 35 mm

Good find. Thanks Glyne. The 175w panel does not seem to be listed on the main Renogy UK site but I have now found it through ebay,  RNG-175D.

It might just fit on Z brackets but will measure again in the morning. I quite like Renogy, although not as much as Victron because I have a contact there!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

glyne lock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:19 pm

it was not just a good find but I have fitted this panel in the place of the 80w that was fitted to 6 A/S camper vans this year . I mainly only fit Renogy and have never had a problem.
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

The Bargee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:18 am

glyne lock wrote:it was not just a good find but I have fitted this panel in the place of the 80w that was fitted to 6 A/S camper vans this year . I mainly only fit Renogy and have never had a problem.

Glyne, when changing out the old 80w for the Renogy, do you use the existing brackets or do you fit new ones?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:39 am

The old brackets can be left and was to small fitted by A/S . So no leaks and use proper solar panel brackets that give a better hight to clean and better cooling under the panel .this also brings the panel to a better hight as to the roof lights for low sun in winter
You can remove the bracket refit the screw and seal over the screw 
Some vans I have done had no panels so this panel is great for the space
the Renogy panel is a monocrystalline panel so are smaller and better panels then what A/S fit so another +
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Kemerton-bath, The Bargee and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down