The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

solar panels

+2
Roopert
Good2Go
6 posters

Go down

solar panels Empty solar panels

Post by Good2Go Sat 15 Jan 2022 - 18:35

Hi everyone,
I have a 1998 Duetto that has a small parasitic drain on the starter battery, and finding it is a work in progress.

So I've been looking at a small Solar setup, thinking that it would keep the battery charged while the first issue is being a pain in the * Inappropriate Word * ( A flat battery twice when I went to take the van out for a run).

DOKIO 100W 12V Foldable Solar Panel Kit Monocrystalline with Solar Controller USB Output For Caravan RV Boat Camper

It's on amazon, is it any good?
If I connect this to the starter battery, would it also recharge the leisure battery at the same time or would I have to move the connections directly onto the leisure battery terminals.

Thanks for the help

David
Good2Go
Good2Go

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

solar panels Empty Re: solar panels

Post by Roopert Sat 15 Jan 2022 - 19:24

Probably the best starting point in solving this is to quantify your battery drain, by measuring it. On a '98 van it should not be complicated because it won't have any complex control modules.

The process of measuring may give an opportunity to figure out what is causing the drain, though on a van of that age it's almost always either an aftermarket radio/headunit, an alarm, or another piece of always-powered equipment that an owner has added. There can be other causes, but most problems of this type affect the leisure battery and not the starter battery.

The problem with a folding panel like the one you mention is that it's a big object that is very difficult to deploy inside the van, and not easy to make secure outside the van. It may be OK if you have it at a nice secure location, but something that's 1 metre wide and worth £140 or so is likely to catch the eye of the light-fingered if not.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat 15 Jan 2022 - 20:25

Good2Go wrote:....
If I connect this to the starter battery, would it also recharge the leisure battery at the same time or would I have to move the connections directly onto the leisure battery terminals.
As you have figured out, solar panels work through a regulator.  Most regulators have one output for connection to one battery (or bank of batteries) but there are some for motorhomes that have a second but reduced output for a vehicle/starter battery with the main output going to the habitation/leisure battery.  These are more expensive and known as dual battery regulators.  I learnt about them from the Forum and have just fitted one as have plenty of others.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by hillhead Sat 15 Jan 2022 - 22:21

Honest John always suggested the first place to look for a drain like that was the courtesy lights. If they stay on for a few seconds after the door is closed the circuitry often stays live once the light is out. He suggested turning the lights off completely and seeing if that resolved the issue.
hillhead
hillhead

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat 15 Jan 2022 - 23:48

Caraman wrote:These are more expensive and known as dual battery regulators.

Agreed - and I'm one of the many here to have done as you suggest, but it really does depend whether the OP wants this as a temporary solution or a permanently fitted one?

A dual regulator probably isn't so practical if you're only wanting a temporary solution to stop the battery going flat while parked up, and a portable, suitcase-type panel isn't an ideal choice if you want to do a permanent installation - largely because you're paying in both money and weight for the parts that make it foldable and portable.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun 16 Jan 2022 - 7:10

I agree.  Something as simple and cheap as this sitting on the dash board might be sufficient to stop the vehicle battery losing its charge but I have no experience of one.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If the OP decides he wants something more effective and therefore bigger, a roof mounted solar panel with a regulator might be the solution but its expensive.  The decision then is whether to pay more and have something that can charge both batteries.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Roopert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Sun 16 Jan 2022 - 9:30

Why not just disconnect the earth terminal from the starter battery when the van's parked up? 
Much cheaper as a short-term solution than trying to rig up a solar panel in these dark days of winter.
A visit to a good auto electrician should sort out the drain on the battery.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Good2Go Sun 16 Jan 2022 - 11:10

Hi
Thanks for all the advice smile! . A more permanent roof mounted setup is planned for next year.

Disconnecting the battery, don't know why I didn't think of that, however for the past year my wife has been driving her when we go out and She isn't keen on that idea (I am using polite words not the ones she used at me when I suggested it).

I'll have a look at the drain, I think I'll put an ammeter in the circuit to see what the draw is then yank fuses 1 by 1 till the sod stops. Only thing is its going to be a while before I'm up to it (on the right side of cancer surgery, but they got it all), which is why I was wondering about a small setup I could put in the windscreen just to try and keep on top of the sodding drain so that I don't need to jump start her on a regular basis.

The dual battery charger I can manage without, at least for the moment.

Thanks for all the help and advice

David
Good2Go
Good2Go

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun 16 Jan 2022 - 12:17

By coincidence, the small panel that Caraman provides a link to is one that we use in our small car (a Toyota) which has, from new, suffered from a minor battery drain. It's adequate for that purpose - but of course it does depend on how large a drain yours is!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Sun 16 Jan 2022 - 12:29

Your welcome David and good luck with everything.
up!
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Good2Go Sun 16 Jan 2022 - 15:46

thanks for the help folks
Good2Go
Good2Go